Sunday hunt...

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all, I met up with fellow hunter Chris and we headed out to a spot of private property where I have found come nice gold in the past. Chris was using the GB Pro/10 inch coil and I was using my 3000/Sadie. After parking we headed down the trail onto BLM land and walked to the fence that is the line for the private property. I called the owner up and let her know that we were going to be detecting today. Chris wandered down the creek to work the bedrock while I went up and over a ridge to a small flat that had some bedrock popping up through the red and yellow soil. I dug a few pieces of lead and moved up the flat and got a nice signal right near the edge of some bedrock. I dug down several inches and the signal was screaming. It turned out to be an old piece of lead that had turned white over the years. I waved the coil over the hole again and heard another more mellow signal. A few inches more and I saw the glint of yellow in the dark iron rich soil. I reached down and picked up a small piece of gold that turned out to .65 of a gram. I thought to myself that I better check the hole again. There was still another signal in the now almost ten inch deep hole. I was on solid rock now and could not see anything resembling a target, the signal was coming from under the bedrock. I chipped away with the pick point and eventually broke off a few slices of the bedrock taking me down a few more inches. I repeated this step a few more times and finally went over the target and it was not in the hole anymore. After about seventeen inches the target was in the pile of broken bedrock and clay. I pinpointed and pinched some soil up between finger tips and waved it over the coil, I had it. Rather than drop it on the coil I set my detector down and dropped the soil into my other hand and stirred it around with a finger tip until I saw yellow. It turned out to be a nice melon seed piece of gold that was about two grams. I hunted a while more with no other good signals so I headed back towards where I had left Chris. After finding him he showed me the three pieces he had found in the bedrock along the edge of the creek. We both took off different directions to hunt some more. An hour later I met up with Chris again and while I had not found anything else he had found two more. We left within an hour after not finding any more gold. It was another pretty day in the north state, clear and maybe 75 degrees. Thanks, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man, if I ever get a chance to work in north cal, I will be your new stalker!

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Great looking spot Ray, no manzanita and little brush, looks like a park..lol All this sunshine is killing me, I have to work but want to hunt for gold and then you post up all these amazing pics. Thanks for taking the time to post up a nice write up with pics.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ray It's really nice to see you scoring nuggets and on a regular basis. I spent 24 years tramping around Shasta county, N-S-E-W and it never occurred to me to look for Gold. Hope you get lots more.

GM

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great little story Ray.

Nice recovery out of that single hole.

Isn't that the way it goes? Dig a screaming target, scan the hole again and get a quiet, mellow signal? Then scan again and get another signal.

Too many people just dig and move without scanning again.

That chunk of lead was masking the other signals.

Far too often in the past, I'd get a spot known for nuggets that was littered with square nails, and rather than clear the area and then work it slowly to listen for faint signals, I'd rush off to some quieter patch of ground. Not too smart.

All the best,

Lanny

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went out for a short hunt this afternoon. Tried a new to me wash close to home. Boy was it trashy. Kind of hidden so even though it had some mining done in the past, I don't think anybody had tried metal detecting it yet. I dug no less than 15 targets from one hole. Unfortunately non of it gold, but you never know and typically gold will be the last target in a spot like that.

By the way Ray, fabulous finds as always. You might like my recent post over on Rod's forum. I wrote a success story mostly about the partner I been helping. I think you will enjoy it. Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread