Questions about spare coils for the Minelab GPX 4800

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm waiting for my GPX 4800 to arrive. Haven't even gotten a chance to use it yet.
However I'm used to detecting here in Arizona with an elliptical coil, not a round one. They work good for me out here for sticking under brush and bedrock cracks in washes and stuff.
Was thinking I'd like to get an elliptical mono coil for my new 4800.
From everything I've been told mono coils are the way to go for nugget hunting (?).
I've got my eye on a Coiltek 14x9 Goldstalker Blitz coil. However the Nugget Finder Advantage SL 14" elliptical coil looks like an option too.
Which one do you all recommend?
Thanks

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm waiting for my GPX 4800 to arrive. Haven't even gotten a chance to use it yet.
However I'm used to detecting here in Arizona with an elliptical coil, not a round one. They work good for me out here for sticking under brush and bedrock cracks in washes and stuff.
Was thinking I'd like to get an elliptical mono coil for my new 4800.
From everything I've been told mono coils are the way to go for nugget hunting (?).
I've got my eye on a Coiltek 14x9 Goldstalker Blitz coil. However the Nugget Finder Advantage SL 14" elliptical coil looks like an option too.
Which one do you all recommend?
Thanks

Mono coils are for ground conditions that are not super-hot as that's where DD's excel. So, it depends on your ground conditions whether to choose a mono or a DD.

Ellipticals are great for their ease of maneuverability around rocks and obstacles. Small round coils are excellent coils for sniping, as are small ellipticals as you'll get high sensitivity to smaller gold and better target separation if you're working in a trashy area. Larger coils, whether elliptical or round, will go deeper. Those stock coils you'll be getting with your 4800 are no slouches either: always remember that.

All the best as you break in your shiny new 4800!

Lanny

OP
OP
GreyGhost

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I've researched the newer GPX's ground balance a lot better so guys are able to run the mono coils now in more mineralized soil, while in the past the DD coils might have been more necessary.
I did some research between the Coiltek and the Nugget Finder and I went with the NF. Deciding between the two is like splitting hairs apparently, its all pretty much personal preference (some guy said he just thought the white Coiltek coil just looked better lol). I got a good deal on the Nugget Finder with some extras thrown in so that should be a nice coil for me.
After doing a little searching around I realized this topic has been beaten to death already on the internet so I read what I could from all the Coiltek vs. NF discussions over the years and made my decision.
Now I'm just hoping 14x9 will be a good size for me. The whole point of upgrading to a PI detector was to get more depth and better ground balancing so while there are smaller elliptical coils out there like the Coiltek Joey I think I'll try the 14x9 size for now. If I get tired of swinging a coil that size and and want something smaller to be able to maneuver better and be more sensitive to smaller nuggets, well I'll just cross that bridge when I get to it.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From what I've researched the newer GPX's ground balance a lot better so guys are able to run the mono coils now in more mineralized soil, while in the past the DD coils might have been more necessary.
I did some research between the Coiltek and the Nugget Finder and I went with the NF. Deciding between the two is like splitting hairs apparently, its all pretty much personal preference (some guy said he just thought the white Coiltek coil just looked better lol). I got a good deal on the Nugget Finder with some extras thrown in so that should be a nice coil for me.
After doing a little searching around I realized this topic has been beaten to death already on the internet so I read what I could from all the Coiltek vs. NF discussions over the years and made my decision.
Now I'm just hoping 14x9 will be a good size for me. The whole point of upgrading to a PI detector was to get more depth and better ground balancing so while there are smaller elliptical coils out there like the Coiltek Joey I think I'll try the 14x9 size for now. If I get tired of swinging a coil that size and and want something smaller to be able to maneuver better and be more sensitive to smaller nuggets, well I'll just cross that bridge when I get to it.

Yes, the new machines do run much quieter and the ground balance software is superb. I have the GPX 5000 and it's a fantastic machine, but you need to know what your ground conditions are, and that's why you'll need Monos and DD's to have the right coil to handle the specific conditions; moreover, there's electrical interference to factor in as well (that will also determine your choice of coils). You'll likely get both a Mono and a DD with your stock machine. So, at least you'll have options.

If your ground isn't too extreme, you'll do fine with Monos.

When you need the smaller speciality coils, you'll appreciate how much design research has gone into them.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

IDdesertman

Dec 8, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've found on my 4500 that monos will work in nearly all situations, although I often use small DD coils in trashy areas.

As for coil size/brand, I don't think you can go wrong with anything from the major brands (Commanders, NuggetFinder, Coiltek), I have grown fond of NF coils, but they will all do the job. The 14" elliptical is a good one, you'll just have to get it over a nugget! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread