Whites. GMZ for GOLD

mike crash

Greenie
Apr 11, 2014
Considering buying the GMZ. For hobby prospecting. ( New England) area .have not found much on this model on the net.does anyone have any ideas/opinion on this particular md? I'm. A hobby/ weekender. Prospector .No elusions of striking it rich or quitting my very good day job but love THE THRILL of the HUNT!! This model fits my budget(also have a Tesoro vaquero )which I love. But looking for those smaller nuggets ect. Any feedback would be helpful.

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest the gmt instead, auto ground balance and manual, good features to have, I believe the gmz has only manual ground balance.

OP
OP
M

mike crash

Greenie
Apr 11, 2014
Thanks for you imput. The gmt mite have to go on the x-mas list .been using my V and learning/finding all sorts of coins ect.i bout it because it was advised it could be used for gold prospecting as well (a good alaround md) .I tested it on small pickers and a 1 gr nugget.it hit on them ..ok (I'm no expert) but I figure in my area something specific for gold would be better.also probably more potential for smaller gold to be found. The whites line seems hit on those small targets pretty good. Unfortunately

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the GMZ and GMT which are very good yet different gold machines. The GMZ was developed by the late White's engineer Dan Geyer several years ago and what makes this machine unique is that it runs on a silent threshold (which many don't care for) A light weight and easy machine to operate it has only 2 knobs(manual ground reject and gain) and is almost on parity with the GMT in small gold sensitivity(they use the same coils) The GMZ seems to handle hot mineralized ground better then the GMT(running in manual) based on my experience with the two in the California desert. A new GMZ comes in around $499/new but they can be picked up used for around $300. which is more then fair considering a GMT at $799.
I bought this detector initially as more of a curiosity or novelty than anything else but this year it has really come into its own. If I want to go through drywash tailing piles or scout bedrock of a desert gulch quickly, its becoming a fast favorite. Actually, I think the GMZ and the new Gold Bug would fill most prospecting needs for many at less than a $1000. for both. The GMZ in a way reminds me of that late comedian Rodney Dangerfield who coined the phrase; "I get no respect"

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mike crash

Greenie
Apr 11, 2014
I am glad to get some feedback from a GMZ owner/user. With comparison to the gmt . I was leaning towards the GMZ on a couple of fronts. . First the price on sale now for 449. Second the response to smal gold .best possible likelihood of recovery -more opportunity especially considering my local of prospecting.will feel better about my eventual purchase.thanks for the advise and info. Will let you know how it all PANS OUT. Ha. Ha.

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Mike,
I'd look into the Fisher Gold Bug ($500 at BigBoysToys.com with Grey Ghost Phones and badass digging tool- great deal), look it up on the net- lots of info. I just bought a Gold Bug Pro and love it. I've only used mine for 15 hrs and have yet found any gold, but it works wonders on the small gold I've tested it on. Whites makes great machines two, but the VDI and ferrous meter on the gold bug while in all metal mode are nice.
Happy Days-Happy Hunting
AJR

OP
OP
M

mike crash

Greenie
Apr 11, 2014
Thanks for info. Going to the web site you suggested .someone is gonna have one less md in inventory soon .

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been considering buying another GMZ as a back-up, called Whites and they said inventory is nearly exhausted because the machine discontinued. As a matter of fact, last minute demand has been such that Whites is gladly taking any left over stock from their retailers. I drove over 50 miles to American Prospector to get my hands on their last GMZ. If you hadn't posted this thread I would have been $OL for sure, thanks. Feel free to PM me any other detector questions, there is much better talent than I in this forum but I'll do my best to help
Rob

OP
OP
M

mike crash

Greenie
Apr 11, 2014
Took the gold nugget plunge! Purchased/secured one of the last GMZ available.something about it- couldn't let it slip buy.looking forward to the simplicity of it.I'm not a big tinkerer . Turn and go is the way for me,at least for now. Can't wait to find my first nugget using this md.plan on going out this upcoming week (feeling a 24hr bug coming on) well as far as work is concerned.let you know how I did .thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread