Lessons with an acutally opertunity to find gold?

afreakofnature

Nov 16, 2010
Lessons with an acutal opertunity to find gold?

My friend and I both own a White's GMT Goldmaster and in 4 years we have not found any nuggets. We have found lots of nails, 2 shovels, countless tin and garbage, bottle tops, etc. We both live in South Dakota but have tried to reach out to others here to give us some lessons but there is not a club and members in our local prospecting club seem to keep to themselves. We would like to take a trip this summer to have a day lesson (or so) on using our detectors to nuggett shoot and then be able to go out on some proven grounds for a few days and try to find some ourselves. We are just getting really discouraged. Either we are not using our equipment correctly (which is probably half of it) and we are just not on proven ground. We do placer mine quit a bit and have found some nice pickers in this manner but not with our detectors. We have taken those pickers and used them in conjunction to learn the sounds we should hear, but we really would like some lessons and really would like to find something.
Does anyone know who we could contact for something like this. Keep in mind this is going to be a little vacation trip for us this summer so we do not mind where we have to go. We were hopeing there might be something like "Chicken Gold Camp" type deal where you could get some good quality lessons on our equipment and then head out to swing it. Pay to play type.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spelling don't mean squat in comparison to your appeal no bd. Hope someone close to ya up there responds to assist. In kalif I'd have ya out on my claims anyday FREE forget that pay bs-John

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dropped by a GPAA outing here at a park in town spent a couple a hours helping folks. 1 whites had a stress relief short so fixed and pinpoint worked again,1 gal had a unit gbd in reverse and on and on. End of the story ends well as instantly finds started popping outta the ground-a Waltham gold watch ladies watch over 2 ozs of 14kt, nice ring silver with a CZ,I found a multi chain with a silver panda locket teaching a gal how to run her nugget shooter(gave it to her a first find ever with the unit),in less than 30 seconds of arrival. Hahahaha luv them finds,great folks on a stunning beautiful day under the trees. Feels righteous to help out folks for FREE as always,just wondering what that watch is really worth,a $1,000+++ John

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My friend and I both own a White's GMT Goldmaster and in 4 years we have not found any nuggets. We have found lots of nails, 2 shovels, countless tin and garbage, bottle tops, etc. We both live in South Dakota but have tried to reach out to others here to give us some lessons but there is not a club and members in our local prospecting club seem to keep to themselves. We would like to take a trip this summer to have a day lesson (or so) on using our detectors to nuggett shoot and then be able to go out on some proven grounds for a few days and try to find some ourselves. We are just getting really discouraged. Either we are not using our equipment correctly (which is probably half of it) and we are just not on proven ground. We do placer mine quit a bit and have found some nice pickers in this manner but not with our detectors. We have taken those pickers and used them in conjunction to learn the sounds we should hear, but we really would like some lessons and really would like to find something.
Does anyone know who we could contact for something like this. Keep in mind this is going to be a little vacation trip for us this summer so we do not mind where we have to go. We were hopeing there might be something like "Chicken Gold Camp" type deal where you could get some good quality lessons on our equipment and then head out to swing it. Pay to play type.

So, you're finding lots of junk, ferrous and nonferrous.

Are you hunting in gold areas known for nuggets?

Are you certain that you're ground balancing your machines properly? If they are out even a bit, you could be missing gold.

Are you hunting areas that are easy to get to (right by roads, etc.)? You may have to hike in to a less accessible place where the going is tougher.

If you can get to California, and if John's offer is still good, that sounds like a way better deal to me.

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. Take a read through my thread; you may find some helpful information on finding nuggets:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe you are not GB right, or there is actually no gold in your area.
Take a look at this site from a member here on Tnet and maybe he has some tips for you.
A very well respected and popular member.

Prospector detector

I have a v/sat and maybe I can help if you have a certain problem.
The best book I could recommend is the Unabridged Zip Zip, or either of Larry Sallees first books.
Youtube has some videos of the GMT in use also.

OP
OP
A

afreakofnature

Nov 16, 2010
Thank you all for the tips and advice. I have watched a lot of youtube videos and looked at 2 books. I can not seem to find the unabridged zip zip and have been trying for a while to get it through my library. If anyone has it and would be willing to let me borrow it, that would be appreciated. There is always a very good probability that i am not in a good gold area. Still i really think some hands on teaching in a proven gold area would be worth while and worth a "vacation" trip for us. Still holding out hope.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a tip from my zip zip book.
I bought a small picker from ebay. It is .125 grams, or about 3 grains.
When I go out, I take it with me, and practice finding it in the dirt I plan to hunt.
What you want to hear is the best signal from the nugget.
Not the clearest, or the loudest, the absolute best that you can hear it.
Even if you hear the salt or ground a little, you need to hear your test nugget.
I paid like $4.50 for mine.
I want to buy another at about .250 grams also.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
afreakofnature,
Using a sample of a known metal makes a big difference in testing. Samples of three metals are perfect for gold detectors -gold, lead, nickel. I use a brightly colored poker chip as the mount for my metal sample and glue the sample to it. IF you happen to have an old gold ring that is already ruined then cut a 1/8" x 1/8" hunk of it out and glue it to the poker chip OR sandwich it between two pieces of tape. You have the sample on the chip or in the tape so you can find the sample easier! Practice over ground you've cleared of targets. Once you can easily find the first target (with the detector's) use a second piece of the same metal only make it smaller than the first one and see how the machines respond to it. You could start with three sample of either of the three metals above, less than 1/8" square, 1/8" x 1/8" & 1/4" x 1/4" all about the same thickness.

Note: Piles made up of small particles of these metals will not be detected as if it were a large piece equal to the mass of the pile, detectors are funny that way and not Ha, Ha.

Detecting raw gold in an area with high mineralization, hot rocks, cold rocks and a few sprinkles of old tobacco tins is one of the hardest targets to locate even if it is larger than the usual small picker.

Once a person understands how to setup their machine, and brings their test sample with them where ever they go and every time they go, then the detectorist has a better chance of finding the yellow metal. Best of luck with you mission!!.....................63bkpkr

OP
OP
A

afreakofnature

Nov 16, 2010
Thank you even more great advice. I will give it a shot.

Roadrunner would it be possible for me to borrow your complete unabridged zip zip book? I am a fast reader and can have it back in a couple weeks.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry Solomon from this board runs this outfit

Arizona gold prospecting, gold prospecting, gold panning

Glad you thought to mention this Oakview2... and let's not forget that Ray Mills / TrinityAu also offers a hands-on training in his area too.

Yep... Terry is very well-known on this forum... knowledgeable, experienced and successful. I would certainly feel quite comfortable attending his school for hands-on training in gold country, and I think anyone wanting some guidance would really enjoy the experience. Plus I'm sure you would have quite a few good laughs because Terry has a great sense of humor. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I did not know Ray offered instruction, that would be worth the trip up north.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
You probably know most of this already but this may help: Clubs can be tough to get to know people. Join a club, go to all of the meetings. Show up a little early and see if any help is needed,stay a little late and help clean up.

Volunteer for any committee like outings, refreshments, programs etc. Show up with cookies. Add value to the club. Bring interesting things to show, rocks, meteorites, finds, books about gold, etc. Go on the outings, bring good snacks.

Probably one of the best things is guest speakers. A friendly forest ranger, BLM, local reptile club (think snakes) a flint knapper, an old timer that has a large nugget to show and stories to tell, someone that knows how to use or tweak a pinpointer... (If you get on the program committee, you can start asking members to share their knowledge...)

If you get involved and you should make some friends. Most of all be trustworthy and don't talk about places people tell you about. You have to build trust and that takes time. When it comes time for them to elect officers volunteer for ANY position, even the most unpopular!

People will start talking to you and you will start to get to know them. Then you can talk with them during the real meetings before the club meeting, during their "smoke" break and after the meeting is over. Someone will take you under their wing and help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions