Ahh! Gold Bug Pro Coil Went Bad!/1st Rattler of the season Siskiyou County

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yesterday was my first day out in a while and the weather was great. I researched out an old pocket mined area that produced 2.2 oz to the ton in the 40's and hiked in and found the old camp and remnants of the processing shops. Just after spotting the pocket diggings and detecting into the camp area I heard the familiar shhh-shhh of a beautiful green timber rattler. The first of the season to cross my path. He slithered off and I hiked to the top of the workings and sat down for lunch. After munching and noticing a drift that ran from the pits below to near were I was I packed up and switched on my GB, when to my surprise it started signaling of in the air - oh no! I turned her off and back on and it still sounded off. If I swing side ways or up and down, or give it a tap it goes crazy with signals and wont ground balance- BAD COIL and I've only had my GB just over a month. Bumd out now.:BangHead: I'm calling Fisher this morning and hoping the turnaround time to get a new coil isn't to long.

Anyone else have a new fisher coil go bad so soon? I never smacked it bad, only regular detecting brushes with the ground and random rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I inspected the coil after taking it off my machine and noticed a hairline crack along the sidewall. Gave it a little squeeze and water bubbled out. Done Deal. Called Fisher and they were cool, gave me an Ra# and said it would likely be two weeks until I received my replacement. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long because I don't have another coil- Boo Hoo! More time for armchair mining I guess
Still curious if others coils have failed so quickly

gunflintguy

Oct 4, 2013
Northern Mn
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Blue Bowl
Sluices: 36" Bazooka Gold Trap Sniper, Angus McKirk Recon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had mine for about a month and no problems yet.

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Might suggest, this might be a perfect time to buy another coil that you'd like (larger, smaller for different application). Might get it sooner and be back in the field.
Just say'n

Shep

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I inspected the coil after taking it off my machine and noticed a hairline crack along the sidewall. Gave it a little squeeze and water bubbled out. Done Deal. Called Fisher and they were cool, gave me an Ra# and said it would likely be two weeks until I received my replacement. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long because I don't have another coil- Boo Hoo! More time for armchair mining I guess
Still curious if others coils have failed so quickly

In almost 30 years I've never had a coil fail except in one instance. I'd used a 12" coil (yes they did make them at one time) on my old Garrett Goldstinger to hunt silver up here for many years, with no coil cover, and it took a lot of abuse what with frequent smacking into rocks.

One day I happened to be scanning a few inches beneath some surface water, which resulted in erratic signals that made no sense. Checking it... I saw an obvious crack along the sidewall as you've described. Later that night I dried the coil by heating it at the campfire. Next morning it worked fine... so I used some silicon caulking to seal it up... and it works fine to this day.

I always feel unhappy learning about hobbyists having issues with new coils and other new equipment… it’s just plain bad luck. Hope you get it looked after quickly and get back into the field as soon as possible. All the very best…

Jim.
Garrett Goldstinger 12 Inch Coil.JPG

Garrett Goldstinger with 12 Inch Coil.JPG

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the sympathy guy's!
I'm glad others haven't had the same issue, I must have got a coil with a week spot. I do feel that my Fisher 5" coils plastic is softer, more easily gouged then the Whites Eclipse coils I've used in the past. I'm yet to find any gold with my GBP, but have been loving the machine and putting my time in for sure. I cant afford another coil or I would purchase the 10", hope to do that once I save a little money this summer- I never buy anything unless I have the money for it in hand. Sadly I had to sell my Whites detector to upgrade to the GBP so I have no other detector. This has defiantly made me want and need a second coil. I've been thinking about getting my wife a basic unit- Euro-Trac or Ace 250 - this summer so at least if something happens down the road I'd be able to keep a hunt'n. Luckily I have been finding about a half gram of gold each day the old-fashioned way with pick shovel and sluice. But as you all know, Detecting is very addictive and I'm already jonesing.
Happy Days-Happy Hunting!
AJR

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Took your advise Shepcal !
Scrounged some money up and bought a NEL's Sharpshooter this evening- should have it by Wednesday- stoked! Got it for $115 with free shipping from Colonial Metal Detectors. I've never used a non standard factory made coil but the NEL's sounds good. Cheaper than Fishers 5x10 and SEF EX. Atleast I'll have two coils now when I get my 5" back from fisher, I've really enjoyed the little coil so will continue to use it too. I am curious about the SEF's, I'm hopeing to convince my buddy to get one instead of the factory Whites Shooter he's looking to buy for his MXT - to steep for me at the time.
Any info on either NEL's or the SEF's would be cool.
Thanks
Happy Days-Happy Hunting!!!
AjR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread