volume on headphones

Mike RB.

May 27, 2013
Dodge City, Ks
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When detecting for small gold nuggets using a gold bug 2 with headphones, how do you set your volume?

Do you turn the volume on the detector all the way up to 10 and then adjust the headset volume or do you lower the volume on the detector and raise the volume on the headset?

Does it make a difference how it's done?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
As a rule I never run volume pots wide open, as it may tend to induce distortion. Use both pots at equal settings to achieve desired volume. Jmho

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not arguing with the above but I do just the opposite. I always run my detectors at max volume. I wave the coil over a large item to set max headphone volume on a large target low enough to be comfortable, THEN set the threshold control to a faint buzz. That way I can hear the smallest variation in threshold and pass over a large junk item without possible damage to my hearing.

Last edited:

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with Steve, I set my detector to max, then adjust the headphones to a comfortable level... biggest mistake i see people making is having the threshold cranked WAY up..

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not argue with Steve, but usually, amplifiers and preamps don't produce more volume over about 60%. I would adjust the same way as suggested, just wouldn't start with detector volume wide open. Just a rule of thumb after working many years in studios and with professional amplifiers. JMHO

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I run my GB2 volume at 10 and adjust the threshold in the back to about the sound of a mosquito buzzing around.

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would not argue with Steve, but usually, amplifiers and preamps don't produce more volume over about 60%. I would adjust the same way as suggested, just wouldn't start with detector volume wide open. Just a rule of thumb after working many years in studios and with professional amplifiers. JMHO

Interesting. I'll give it a try next time I'm out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions