Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That can be difficult ground for any detector and if the ML 5K has trouble then I would predict most will have great trouble. First advise would be to try the ML again and make sure it is ground balanced and tuned correctly. Use a Double-D coil. There are settings that should work OK. Last bit of concern is trying to find something at 3-5M. That is too deep for most hand held detectors. You will have to dig first.

OP
OP
G

GOLD RADAR

Aug 4, 2014
Thank you for the reply, What do you think about OKM? Expensive yes, but would be better than ML, wouldn't it?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No offense intended but if you are looking for objects in the 3 - 5 meter range no handheld metal detector will be able to do what you want. If the object is large (3 ft square or larger) and is composed of iron or steel metal you may be able to detect it with a large "two box" system. Garrett made a fairly effective two box at one time but I believe they have discontinued it.

OKM will not be better than ML. None of their detectors are capable of finding objects at 3 to 5 meters depth. No metal detector will succeed that deep in a hot basaltic rock area. What type of objects are you looking for at that depth? Are they primarily composed of metal? How large of a metal object do you expect to find with a metal detector?

OP
OP
G

GOLD RADAR

Aug 4, 2014
Sir, we've had experiences in finding real treasures, chests, statues, all gold, most we're found when digging for new buildings, Roman treasures that were buried in our area are big big treasures. For example, the government wanted to build some structures in our area, when they started, they found an unbelievable treasure, helicopters were transferring the gold for 2 days, I swear we all saw this, and it was found on 3m depth. That's why we are seeking such strong detectors

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold Radar,

You've been given some great advice already, and I'm not really sure what you're looking for apart from what you've already been told, but I'd suggest ground penetrating radar if you're looking for burials or disturbances from treasure burials that deep. The GPR might just show the underground anomalies you're looking for if you hire someone that's an expert operator.

As for your basaltic rocks, they often give a positive response. Have you tried tuning to the rocks to see around their interference? That's another suggestion, whether it works or not, you'd have to see.

The depths you're talking about are beyond deep for the kinds of metal detecting the Minelab 5000 is designed for. Follow Clay's advice on two-box units by following up to see if you can find a used two-box design, or if not, balance to your basalt and try for some shallower treasure.

All the best,

Lanny

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many years ago, I used to correspond with somebody who searched in desert areas for old forgotten treasure. His method was to try to find something shallow with a hand held detector, which might indicate an area with deeper treasure. The big problem for him was old unexploded shells, which can be quite unstable. I lost touch or maybe he found one to many....it is not something that we have to deal with in this part of the world, but a serious concern if you are searching in an old battle area. Good luck with your search.

OP
OP
G

GOLD RADAR

Aug 4, 2014
Thank you all for the advices, I really appreciate

Hopefully , I will send you nice photos of huge finds soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread