Interesting find.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small 19th century prospect hole on my property and a lot of quartz float. I have detected some but as I clear brush I hit different areas. I used a goldmaster before and have a Gold Bug Pro now. I had the rare two hour stretch when no one was home I had a little time before work. I went out and detected for like fourty five minutes. No gold no trash I have actually found more trash farther from the prospect hole. Most likely detected before our house was built. Any way I did get on screamer of a target on my way back towards the house. Target bar 64 and switch to discriminate still there strong signal ready a 64 with slight change to 63. I scraped with my pick check still there scrape again its in the pine needles I thought bottle cap for sure.Its in the first scoop I start to seperate and end up with a loud screaming rock. Long and not like any hot rock I've hit its giving a solid I.D. It looks like a piece of the Mariposa Slate my house sits on. It does have a spot that looks like it has some kind of metallic sheen. It isn't heavy for its size. 2.3 grams. I know some one who can drop it in some acid for me I'll let you guys know what it is if anything. It is still very crisp and loud at six inches. Squeals when less than two inches.

Attachments

• rocks 019.JPG
    rocks 019.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 190
  • rocks 021.JPG
    rocks 021.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
  • rocks 023.JPG
    rocks 023.JPG
    826.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sure does not look like a rock that would contain gold, nor one that ought to be a hot rock. I am looking forward to hear what you discover. Sometimes, it is helpful to look at an interesting rock with a jeweler's optic to see details. Some guys use microscopes, but an optic fits in the pocket and costs less than $10. Good luck with it.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a loupe and desk top magnification lamp. The only thing visible is the two round spots by my thumbnail. there is a bronze color to the spot. You are right it is not typical in any way to any hot rock found around here. It does have a small fracture and the slate here could have gold in it...even then I wouldn't expect it to scream the way it is. My son has a microscope I will have him pull it out after he gets home from school.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on Herb you know me better than that:laughing7:

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put it in some vinegar a few hours ago when I came back to check it the vinegar was black got rid of that vinegar rinsed the rock dumped it more vinegar...now there is a crack giving off a bunch of grey bubbles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So. it turned the vinegar black, two changes still reacting. I took a pick of what's been exposed and tried to get the best ones I could with my sons microscope. Digital display with regular optics it was hard to tell what was gonna come out. You can see it is part of the rock. I see yellow also.

Attachments

• rock 003.JPG
    rock 003.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 137
  • rock 004.JPG
    rock 004.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 116
  • rock 005.JPG
    rock 005.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 125
  • rock 006.JPG
    rock 006.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 135
  • rock 007.JPG
    rock 007.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 121
  • rock 015.JPG
    rock 015.JPG
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 137
  • rock 017.JPG
    rock 017.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You probably know this, but adding some salt to the vinegar helps with the process. Turning black is interesting. Maybe you have some copper oxide or iron in there. Other copper compounds would likely turn the water green. Hope you are able to solve the mystery....

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 24+ hour vinegar bath?????????? I don't know if it would just disappear if left for too long. Came out of the vinegar black I rubbed with my shirt and get a silver/white color Haven't looked under the microscope again. You can see some of the original rock.It is half its original weight. I thought it might be aluminum from a fire maybe. but it is hard and does not bend easily.There were no nearby trash targets either. Again I think it is natural.

Attachments

• rock2 013.JPG
    rock2 013.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 96
  • rock2 014.JPG
    rock2 014.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 115
  • rock2 015.JPG
    rock2 015.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 105

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver?, the black residue makes me lean that way, although the country rock doesn't look to be a likely host???

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree.GBPRO says its silver also. It was found at about three inches. In line with the strike of the quartz vein in my yard. About twenty five feet from the prospect hole and about fifteen feet from where I found a fully formed crystal that has a green intrusion. I will be doing a lot more investigating of the area once my fall burning and clearing is finished.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep..I guess I will take it to a jeweler and see if I can get a quick test done.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
wooooo goldwasher sweet pics, what Microscope?

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wrong about GBPRO I.D. It is in the aluminum range very odd . I am 99% sure it is natural.It is hard and does not want to bend, I don't want to break it...Yet. The Micro scope is usb It has great optics the usb display leaes a lot to be desired it is hard to tell how a picture is gonna look due to pixilation it is hard to focus. I can't figure out how to use my laptop as a monitor.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, i found a piece of gold attached to I think its smoky quartz, but it’s small and my 10x loop can’t make it out

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, yes Goldwasher I know better but hey, sometimes I do some silly things so asking didn't hurt.

Nice investigation and interesting to see the direction it is going and in your own backyard how nice. Not far to go to the claim! I hope this has more to it for you than just the surface find but watch out for the plumbing for the house.........................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just teasing you herb your input is desired and helpful....no worries I know where my waterlines are..and yes backyard finds are cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread