Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a number of videos like this. While an air test is interesting, it does not replicate the conditions and results on "wild" nuggets. Unless of course, you are looking for hover nuggets. LOL

As for gold in your state, there are some videos on uTube that show some people getting NY gold. Also, a number of years ago, I found some color in PA south of Corning, NY. It is not as good as other parts of US or Canada, but there is a little bit of fun to be had.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would have liked to see them compress the soil into the holes, but I am not sure how much of a difference that makes with this machine.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the people do try to make their tests realistic by burying the nuggets in an area with mineralized soil, but even that is not a perfect test. If you were hunting in a similar area, I guess you could expect similar results. The problem of course is you step 20' away and the conditions may change significantly and so do the results. All that said, I still watch them and try to learn something. At least they went through the effort of testing, filming and sharing.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I myself hate these kinds of tests. Air tests are as everybody knows pretty much worthless. In the ground tests I notice they eliminated the smallest target, which is the only target that really should have been used in that scenario. Also that ground seems pretty mild to say the least.

Note to anybody, individual or manufacturer, that wants to test a metal detector or especially compare 2 or more different detectors. Example: Go out into field with multiple units preferably with say 3 guys with different units to compare. Stay together and find targets in the raw. When a target is found, then check with the other machines and compare capability. Then dig the targets and determine at what depth and such. Do this in a known gold area with heavy mineralization to really test the machines capabilities. Use experienced detectorists with machines they are confident and capable with so if needed proper adjustments can be made. Also, and this is a biggie, use the same type and size of coils on all machines for a proper comparison.

I get tired of comparisons where one machine has a mono coil and the other a dd. Or maybe one detector has an elliptical and the other has a round. The real aggravation is when two completely different sized and type coils are used to compare. This type of evaluation just insults my intelligence.

I myself will take a real world evaluation from a guy like Steve H. any day over this type of example video which is doomed from the start for so many reasons. No offense intended, but lets get with the program. If you want to test metal detectors, do it in real world scenarios and compare apples to apples, not eggs to grapefruit. Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread