Best VLF and PI gold detectors?

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure I'll be heading up there soon. I try to find a new place every weekend :)

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on dude! Thank you :) weather permitting, I think I found an incredible spot, it's in the ASRA too

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So next week's a no go? I told you the runny nose thing was just a cold! Aw man I just scored some batteries in the Dollar General clearance bin!

Recent experience ( think your doin right, turns out wrong) with the guys down the street. whom, I have only known for about a year. Saw a few times what they were finding, n showed them what I was finding avg. 5 or 6 grains a day and still lookin for a better spot prospecting, so having seen what they were getting I invited to a spot that I knew had little bit better gold then what they be findin , split even, running two large box’s, and seemed all was great moving a lot of material, couple of days later started complained about my dog, ( though when ya smoke the dope makes u like "peace man"), also at the end of the day they take the bucket of cons to process on their wheel, then on one occasion this one day I loaded the cons in my truck. The cons were still in the back of the truck when they came over and asked for the cons to process on their wheel, I said, hey you’re here let’s just process on my wheel, uda thought I had rob Fort Knox with the look on their face, and they insisted running on their wheel, that’s when it hit the fan, lot more to the story of course, let’s just say it’s been an fin eye opener for me since moving to this place, more selfish/drug use/ loser’s per cap, then I have ever seen, christ, North San Juan is so out-of-control, em so glad I did not buy a place their

Fowledup, LOL i give everybody a chance, but don't beaaach on my dog, since are dogs get along your in dude

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was gonna say gold does funny things to folks, but it ain't just gold! Gold is a whole lot easier to find then a good friend. People don't know, remember, teach, or practice the golden rule. I try to see the good in people and give folks the benefit of the doubt. Been sh-t upon once or twice because of it, but in the end its the other parties loss and karma never fails to show up!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a very small group of people that I prospect with, a couple from here (Ray Mills is one that I would like to hit the Manzanita with detecting again) and some that I have started as a friend first and brought into mining.

I avoid the drama at all costs, friends first, gold last.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man it's funny how some people get when working as a group. It's almost like you should've had them dig and run there own and you run yours.
I'm always happy to take people out to learn. They find out quickly that it's a lot of work for a couple grams of gold. Unless you hit the pocket of gold or are finding good pickers. Some people that's all it takes. Seeing the picker on the sluice. Others think I spent a day and only got this much. That's when I explain to people (who watched too many gold shows) that it takes a lot of material to get ounces and ounces of material. Unless of coarse there's some good nuggets.
Good thing was those new buddies didn't try anything unrational.

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I'm hooked. I love being in the forest, I love the idea of hunting gold, the detector just combines something else that I love to do!

I love my MXT, but the next one I want to get is a GMT... Then I'm thinking about the Sierra Pulse Pro

Jeff Harris

Mar 16, 2010
Check out Bearkat4160 on youtube, he compares the Minelab SDC 2300 and the Garrett ATX. The Garrett comes out ahead and is about $1,600.00 less than the minelab. For VLF the Goldbug Pro is a good choice.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Bearkat4160 on youtube, he compares the Minelab SDC 2300 and the Garrett ATX. The Garrett comes out ahead and is about $1,600.00 less than the minelab. For VLF the Goldbug Pro is a good choice.
Only problem I saw with the ATX is it weighs about twice as much....

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Austin, TX and Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Keep in mind that he is a garret dealer. I'm not trying to say he is trying to fool anybody, but just know he sells garrett products and not mine lab products. That being said both are great detectors and have their place in the gold fields.

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the ATX wins for me. Waterproof and quite sensitive

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an ATX. Nice machie but touchy at full power and loses depth quick at reduced power. Also heavy as lead. I am awaiting an SDC-2300. I think it is hotter on very small gold and that means I can get rid of my Gold Bug2. If you shop hard, you would be surprised at the negotiated price of the SDC. It's still a lot more money than the ATX, but for me, it seemed like it would be worth it - time will tell.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only problem I saw with the ATX is it weighs about twice as much....

Now lets not get carried away on this weight thingy, LOL. Minelab SDC-2300 ($3700.00) weighs in a 5.7 pounds and the Garrett ATX ($2100.00) weighs in at 6.9 pounds, but the Garrett has a stock coil that's nearly twice as large. :thumbsup:

GAR SDC.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now lets not get carried away on this weight thingy, LOL. Minelab SDC-2300 ($3700.00) weighs in a 5.7 pounds and the Garrett ATX ($2100.00) weighs in at 6.9 pounds, but the Garrett has a stock coil that's nearly twice as large. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1080521
It feels about twice as much. Not putting it down at all, besides I always hunt with a harness....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well kevin Hoagland give a field test on the Garrett ATX Deepseeker in the Nov/Dec 2014. Gold Prospectors mag. if you want to read that..

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to get the low down on any metal detector visit Detector Prospector Dot Com then Equipment Reviews then Metal Detector. Steve gives a real insight on gold metal detectors.

BerntOut

Jan 12, 2010
South West USA
Detector(s) used
Deus, BlissTool V3, CTX, Vallon VCM1, ......forgot the others!
DSCN0151.JPG
Vallon VMC1 under $350.00....but does it work on small gold nuggets???
Built like a tank and heavy as one....5lbs!!!
Folds up to about the size of a shoe box!

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1080953
Vallon VMC1 under $350.00....but does it work on small gold nuggets???
Built like a tank and heavy as one....5lbs!!!
Folds up to about the size of a shoe box!
Yes i saw them on ebay if they work like any other PI you sure can not beat the price .. Save your self a lot of $$$$$

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread