Nugget shooting at night?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone do any nugget shooting at night?

I've been itching to get back out in the desert again and
doing some nugget shooting, but can't handle the hot days
(anything over about 80). I'm a night person anyway, and I
know it cools off some in the higher deserts once the Sun drops.

Might be extra driving, but if there is one around I'd hole up
in a motel room with AC during the day.

Doable?

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever been out in the desert at night?? That's when the critters really come out so watch out. Snake guards,gloves and watch out MUCH more carefully than in the light a day. Done it a few times when I hit a paystreak and refused to leave it but got hit by a scorpion on the arse as sat down without lookn' first. You will only do that one time-Lotza luck-John

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its very do able Dizzy :) Just keep an eye out for the night time residents is all and wear good clothing~ not just for the cool but expect to brush up against the stickers ;). You probably do it anyway however remember to take a gps and waypoint often as it easy to get turned around. Full moons and part moons are the best times. Also extra batteries and an extra light source. Seems like common sense but I can tell ya from experience its a small panic when you go Whoops~~
If you not familiar with the area walk it during the day and waypoint areas of interest as they will not look the same at night. Otherwise its a very relaxing adventure.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wild pigs, rattlesnakes, scorpions, mountain lions, bad footfall, night detecting in the desert is dangerous. Not impossible or dull, but very dangerous.

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love the nights in the desert, quiet, winds usually settle down.

As far as scorpions John, I had one sting me three times in the back, was much like a bee sting. About a week later, pains in the back, went to doctor and he was convinced I was an alcoholic (I like beer but in no way an alcoholic), went and got a second opinion, convinced it was alcohol "unless you've been bitten by a scorpion" the doctor said with a smile. Didn't know a scorpion sting could give you pancreatic symptoms, doctor said it was on the test he took to become a doctor. P.S. my son got bit by a scorpion and got nothing but a bee sting type of reaction.

Be Safe!

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never detected in the desert, but spent lots of time alone in the out of doors. I would suggest extra batteries for the flashlight - - saves on a long stumble in the dark back to the vehicle when you are done. A headlamp is a good investment. Sounds like fun. Enjoy and luck!

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ever been out in the desert at night?? That's when the critters really come
out so watch out. Snake guards,gloves and watch out MUCH more carefully than in the light a day. Done it
a few times when I hit a paystreak and refused to leave it but got hit by a scorpion on the arse as sat down
without lookn' first. You will only do that one time-Lotza luck-John

Damn good advice John..much appreciated.

I grew up running around the So. Cal., Nevada and Arizona deserts,
and most nights found me sitting on a hillside with a varmint call, flashlight
and my trusty .243. Snakes don't worry me too much, but I hate bugs..
hawkeye.gif~original

Other critters like coyotes and bobcat are not a concern, and there's
no javelina or feral pigs in the region I would most likely be hunting
in. Coyotes, bobcat and fox can be curious critters and, if seen, are
usually there just to check out what's wandering around on their turf.
If I did see one, it's more likely I'd be asking 'em.. "Howyadoin'?"
Cougars tend to hang around in the rocky hills, but they will hunt
lowlands on rare occasion, and if one is stalking you for chow (day or
night), you likely wouldn't know it till the big cat hit you in the back.
Still, it's something to be watchful for.

I've got 2 good Fenix headlamps and, thanks to my bro-in-law, an
eternal supply of alkali AAA batteries. I always keep a fresh one taped
to the headband and tucked under the middle strap on back, plus
I'd carry a few more as spares for the detector.

Terry brings up a good point about getting tipped over stepping in
an unseen hole or uneven ground. Always a concern for me, day or
night, so as said above I tend to watch my feet when walking to insure
that doesn't happen. No need to be in a hurry.

Safest way to do it might be to work a wide wash. The ground would be
more even, and unless you climb over the bank at some point, the way
back to camp is to simply turn around and follow the wash back.

Summer is a long ways off yet, and I still need to save up enough cash
to buy me a new gold detector. Never hurts to plan in advance as it gives
me something to look forward to..8-)

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you thought about going early in the morning when the sky is just starting to get brighter but the sun is still an hour or more from rising?
I would think that would give you several hours of good detecting (Even after sunrise) before the temps get too high.

I have night sniped before several times, when on a pay streak like John and man is it easy to start getting paranoid about what you cant see, ESPECIALLY when your head is underwater most of the time.

Jwoot

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the nights in the desert, quiet, winds usually settle down.

As far as scorpions John, I had one sting me three times in the back, was much like a bee sting. About a week later, pains in the back, went to doctor and he was convinced I was an alcoholic (I like beer but in no way an alcoholic), went and got a second opinion, convinced it was alcohol "unless you've been bitten by a scorpion" the doctor said with a smile. Didn't know a scorpion sting could give you pancreatic symptoms, doctor said it was on the test he took to become a doctor. P.S. my son got bit by a scorpion and got nothing but a bee sting type of reaction.

Be Safe!

Can I ask how you got stung by a scorpian in the back?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably got in his shirt. I used to live on a ranch in the Eastern Sierra.. we lived off the grid, morning shower was by oil lamp. Scorpions like bathrooms. They hang out in and around the toilet and under the sinks. I got stung by one of the little boogers that was on my towel when I pulled it off of the rod. Lucklily considering my unclothed situation at the time I'm glad I only got stung on the arm several times.I have walked around the desert at night a lot, though the high desert and not Arizona that is a bit different. The only thing I would really worry about is mine shafts critters not so much.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you thought about going early in the morning when the sky is just starting to get brighter but the sun is still an hour or more from rising?
I would think that would give you several hours of good detecting (Even after sunrise) before the temps get too high.

This is good advice Dizz,.. life has enough headaches without deliberately creating potential scenarios for more. I'm experienced, and comfortable in the northern bush, but I can't see well enough at night to anticipate distant storms below the horizon until its too late, or locate important landscape features, outcroppings, abandoned shafts... let alone to see what the heck I'm digging. That's aside from things that bite, stick or sting...

Jim.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As far as I'm concerned, biggest danger in old desert mining districts are down shafts and test holes from long ago. Many left out there, well hidden and some drop off to God only knows where. Was driving out one evening in the Mojave(dirt road I'd been on couple times before) and the Coors was catching up with me so stopped, walked no more that 20 yards from the jeep to take a wizz. As I was piss'n on this bush I noticed on the other side there was no ground, dirt, rock nothing but this deep black abyss that dropped off toward the bowels of the earth. A lesson I'll never forget.

Last edited:

Moise

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2013
Ridgecrest, Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Windless nights believe or not are actually worse. The worse is a high full moon on compounded with no wind. We definitely pack it in when there is no wind in our desert. A lot of critters use the small (what is like) hairs to pick up vibrations of prey. Windless nights amplify this ability resulting in extra busy desert floors.
Also, we never put our lights directly on the ground... talk about starting the whole food chain; small large wing insects land on/around the lights which attract big boys like sunspiders (solpugids) and the scorpions and then on up.

Black Lights become a reality check for those that think the desert floor is void of critters.

On windless nights you wouldn't believe how many tarantulas will be just outside their holes reading their hairs for subtle vibrations of prey.

One thing we like to see is king / gopher snakes out. They will generally (not always) displace other bad snakes in an area. So we always welcome the sight of either. We would rather not see our dreaded Mojave Green/Red.

Sometimes you will get an interested red hair fox walking around your area just outside where the light dies out. They are rather curious little guys and quite adorable.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Windless nights believe or not are actually worse. The worse is a high full moon on compounded with no wind. We definitely pack it in when there is no wind in our desert. A lot of critters use the small (what is like) hairs to pick up vibrations of prey. Windless nights amplify this ability resulting in extra busy desert floors.
Also, we never put our lights directly on the ground... talk about starting the whole food chain; small large wing insects land on/around the lights which attract big boys like sunspiders (solpugids) and the scorpions and then on up.

Black Lights become a reality check for those that think the desert floor is void of critters.

On windless nights you wouldn't believe how many tarantulas will be just outside their holes reading their hairs for subtle vibrations of prey.

One thing we like to see is king / gopher snakes out. They will generally (not always) displace other bad snakes in an area. So we always welcome the sight of either. We would rather not see our dreaded Mojave Green/Red.

Sometimes you will get an interested red hair fox walking around your area just outside where the light dies out. They are rather curious little guys and quite adorable.

Excellent observations Moise, thanks for sharing this knowledge.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe some night vision goggles so you don't fall in a ravine or something hehe.
Watch out fer coyotes! <3

Sounds like fun though :)

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You've all shared a hellofa lot of wisdom; Thanks for all the helpful
replies. If ya ever find you way into my camp, there's a cold beer
or sody pop waitin' for ya. :occasion14:

FWIW, coyotes aren't going to bother an adult human unless you've
cornered one. I certainly don't fear them, and truly enjoy it when they're
howling back and forth at one another.

What I do fear however is falling into a hole or some spot where I can't get
myself back out, or possibly breaking bone(s). The wife reminded me that
I have enough trouble staying vertical in daylight.

At night I have to rely on the proprioception nerve system in the legs
and feet to keep my balance, and while it works on ground I'm familiar with
(like my driveway) I'm afraid it wouldn't do too good on uneven ground
with all the shadows the light will cause.

OK...Y'all talked me out of it..I'll stick to daytime hunting. 8-)

N. Nevada can get bloody cold in the winter, so I guess I'll have to make
plans to go further south..maybe Arizona. Got the bug...bad, so it's
just a matter of figuring out how far I'll have to drive, and what machine
to get.

Prep and planning is half the journey...time to start saving for the detector
and making plans to go south!

Last edited:

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can I ask how you got stung by a scorpian in the back?

Jwoot, it was in my bed. I live in the Sierra and we have a number of scorpions and centipedes (haven't been stung by any centipedes, yet), watching t.v. and all of the sudden a burning feeling on the back. I expected the wife to have a major problem with finding a scorpion in the bed but a week or two of her checking the sheets at night and never mentioned it again, I think I'll keep her.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread