Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Nice patch :occasion14:

Goes also to show, Always Check Your Hole! Thanks for the video I needed something to pick me up :)

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice pieces.......I would mop up that patch with a drywasher or highbanker

Last edited:

BerntOut

Jan 12, 2010
South West USA
Detector(s) used
Deus, BlissTool V3, CTX, Vallon VCM1, ......forgot the others!
Ron:
You guys are killing it on the nuggets! I thought it might have been you that found the five pounder a while back! LOL!
I guess I should continue using my CTX for my quest for nuggets and not worry about figuring out this recently acquired military PI mine detector. It hits small nuggets and everything else.
CTX works good on California gold!

Last edited:

medic7a

Apr 30, 2013
Placerville, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I am trying to figure out the geology of your finds. All of those nuggets you have shown this year have been in the top 12" of what looks like silty topsoil. Is this on top of an old channel, soil on top of bedrock, bottom of a hill side? It looks worn but close to the source. Without giving up the location can you give a explanation of the topography. I live near you and have only seen gold out of the water like that in old seam digs out towards georgetown.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am trying to figure out the geology of your finds. All of those nuggets you have shown this year have been in the top 12" of what looks like silty topsoil. Is this on top of an old channel, soil on top of bedrock, bottom of a hill side? It looks worn but close to the source. Without giving up the location can you give a explanation of the topography. I live near you and have only seen gold out of the water like that in old seam digs out towards georgetown.
I concur......I have a general Idea of the area you guys hunt. I notice the material is very devoid of gravel which is very interesting to me. How deep to you believe the bedrock is locally. What are your thoughts on the source. There are veins in the areas you work but I don't see any quartz float. or slate.Goes to show that you gotta try many different spots in gold country.I was driving the back way in to Michigan bar you go through the old diggings there.. I saw the rancher pulled over asked him if would ever let anyone detect there he said "Nahhhhh this isn't nugget country anyways"............I disagree...Keep at it guys great finds thanks for sharing.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I concur......I have a general Idea of the area you guys hunt. I notice the material is very devoid of gravel which is very interesting to me. How deep to you believe the bedrock is locally. What are your thoughts on the source. There are veins in the areas you work but I don't see any quartz float. or slate.Goes to show that you gotta try many different spots in gold country.I was driving the back way in to Michigan bar you go through the old diggings there.. I saw the rancher pulled over asked him if would ever let anyone detect there he said "Nahhhhh this isn't nugget country anyways"............I disagree...Keep at it guys great finds thanks for sharing.

Down here in the areas I hunt most of the eluvial and saprolite type stuff
can look like plain ole dirt until you break it up and put some water to it ,
then the broke down rock will start to show .

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really enjoy watching your video. This is a dream of mine to hunt for a gold nugget, Kind of running out of time but its on my bucket list. I guess I have to move to Ca. or Az. Pa. will not have nuggets like that. I would be there with bells on if I ever got a invite to hunt for gold. Just the thrill of the elusive nugget gets my blood boiling. Thanks for sharing, Maybe some day. I was in Az. when I was working as a Electrician but I was not into metal detecting. The inspector even told us that there was gold in the mountains behind us. They seem so close to us, but the scenery is deceiving there and what is 200 miles away, it seems like only a couple of miles away. I hope I am explaining myself correctly here. I was sent there for a electrical installation. it was around April or May so the weather was beautiful and not too hot. I think we were around 30-40 miles from Flagstaff?. Is that gold country or was the electrical inspector just pulling our leg?? At the time I was there, metal detection never entered a thought for me. Funny how that works. Again thanks for sharing..........Pete

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, just use google and you can find some interesting things about the area's that you want to go to.

Try to hook up with clubs so that you can get in and get on the gold right away. In those area's the easy to access spots are hunted out so the harder it is to get to, the better the chances of finding gold.
It also depends on the age of the claim, what detectors have been used to hunt it and if it replenishes during high water.

Terry Soloman also does hunts too I believe, you might want to hit him up for the details.

That's the easiest way I can think of for someone that is not from the area they want to hunt to be able to get the best chances at finding gold right away.

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome gold and excellent video footage. I agree with the others that the local geography for the spot does not look like an obvious one for producing nuggets. The cliché "gold is where you find it" and "the proof is in the pudding" certainly apply here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread