Looking for a price for GPX5000

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend with a GPX5000 and I haven't been watching the prices for them with all of the extra coils that were available when they came out. It has like ½dozen coils from back then and I am the only one who ever uses it. He picked it up a few years ago and I want to have an idea of what would be a fair price to offer him for it being that I feel guilty about just borrowing it when I need it. I see all of the ones on ebay going nowhere so I need some info from you guys who watch these detectors a lot more than I do. He paid $5000 for it used back in the day with no tweaks. I had my GPXtreme that I bought new and then sold a few years back and now that I have a lot of time to hit the field, I do miss owning my own... Any ideas?

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Off of Rob Allisons Arizona board. Seems with the leak of their new gen detector the prices have been falling. Some dealers offering a new GPX 5000 and the new SDC 2300 for 7000.00

(Removed by mod non charter member selling)

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its value used is about 70%-80% of original value. High dollar detectors like 5000, etracs, excals all hold their values for years....

Oakview, only Charter Members can sell here...

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see them languishing on Craigslist at $3,500 - $4,000 with a couple of extra coils, etc. prices have dropped lately and I fully expect them to drop further in 2015. You can buy a new one for well under $5k if,you shop around.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see them languishing on Craigslist at $3,500 - $4,000 with a couple of extra coils, etc. prices have dropped lately and I fully expect them to drop further in 2015. You can buy a new one for well under $5k if,you shop around.

I don't think they will drop that much, when CTX 3030 came out a lot of people said Etrac and Excals would drop and they haven't really.

With that said I wish they would tumble in price as I would buy one if they did.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I guess I really just hate to see it sitting at his house because the guy is constantly swamped with work. I mean... I taught a couple of his/our friends how to use it last summer at our group camp out. I saw the craiglist/ ebay $3000+ & the 5000/2300 deal and that's what started me thinking about this in the first place... lol. I hate seeing great detectors just sitting there. So will I buy the 5000 now before it goes obsolete or wait and get myself a new 7000... Lots of thinking going on :protest: :whip2:

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GPX-5000 inventory is being dumped at give-away prices - there has never been more than one "top of the line" PI gold detector from Minelab at a time. I believe it will be replaced.

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup & the Jupiter GPX 7000 hopefully comes out soon since they have started the talk about it every where.
I've seen some low prices for the GPX 5000... lol Especially in this Chinese version (Removed by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a simple answer and my opinion only. A fair price would be $3.5K US with two coils. Add something extra for the other coils at about half the retail cost. You would end up getting an excellent detector that you know the history. Waiting for the next version is always an option, but really you already know how to use the 5000 and know it can find gold.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup & the Jupiter GPX 7000 hopefully comes out soon since they have started the talk about it every where.
I've seen some low prices for the GPX 5000... lol Especially in this Chinese version (Removed by mod)
EBay links only by Charter Members and no hot links to counterfeit detectors...

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a simple answer and my opinion only. A fair price would be $3.5K US with two coils. Add something extra for the other coils at about half the retail cost. You would end up getting an excellent detector that you know the history. Waiting for the next version is always an option, but really you already know how to use the 5000 and know it can find gold.
I'm torn.. lol, this is what I was thinking also. I was extremely lucky when I bought my extreme because ML had just finished pissing off a really good friend of mine when he slammed the phone down on them as I walked into his store. He started screaming about their wholesale customer service, as he was a Minelab representative. He said that he would never sell another minelab for them again and he basically gave me the last one that he had. He was screaming mad and when he saw me yelled out at the top of his lungs that he had had it and asked me if I wanted this piece of Shiite, which was the last one that he had. They were late on the next order and he was done waiting forever. So I took home a new Extreme along with everything that he had left from them... hahaha. I'll never beat that deal again but sometimes you just happen to be there at the right time. Don't get me wrong here because I had spent tens of thousands of dollars on equipment from him over the last 30 years and we are still like family. Because I keep seeing them selling for around 4k brand new with 3 coils these days, I was thinking of offering my buddy $2500.00 - $3000.00 but if you guys think that this is too low then let me know. I admit, I am a cheapskate :metaldetector::piratehand::whip2:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
no hot links to counterfeit detectors...

Good point Treasure_Hunter. A lot (if not all) of those $3000 GPX 5000 are cheap counterfeits. I've seen genuine deals in the $4,000 plus range.

Dave Lamb's offer for his extra 5000 was exceptional in my opinion. Knowing Dave I wouldn't be surprised if he tried using both of them at once. He's a nugget finding monster. :laughing7:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I wasn't selling anything, not my detector, the GPX 5000 is a highly sought after detector in Arizona, I posted to show how far the prices have fallen.

is about 70%-80% of original value. High dollar detectors like 5000, etracs, excals all hold their values for years....

Oakview, only Charter Members can sell here...[/QUOTE]

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Reed, now many coils does he have? That is the one thing that will drive the price up. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed, now many coils does he have? That is the one thing that will drive the price up. Best of luck.

They are the coilteks a small 9" eliptical and another one around 16". Then it has the std minelab coils. I think there's 6 all together. I saw Dave's machine for sale also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread