Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was getting my kit sorted out today. Where I am at, detecting season is pretty much over with things now frozen solid until spring. I got to cleaning and organizing, so I can get at it next year again. Little things have caught me in the past, so I thought I would remind folks of some hard lessons learned. I am sure there are others with good advise too.

1) Pull the batteries from the detectors:
(a) Disposable batteries have a nasty habit of shorting out if left installed for long lengths of time. I have one underwater detector that got a bit of moisture in the battery compartment on my last dive and if I had opened it sooner, I would still have wires/connector in there. Now, I will have a heck of a job to fix it. Shame, I love that detector.
(b) Top up the charge on the Lithium Ion batteries. They don't like to be fully drained and live longer if charged once in a while when not in use. It could have been a disaster for me this year. Somehow, I left the GPX detector turned on last time I played with it. Luckily, it seemed to take a full charge, so I might be OK still. I suspect if I had left it like that, I would have had to replace it.

2) Gas stabilizer in the gas motors. Without it, gas degrades rather quickly.

3) Start the ATV and run it for a while to recharge the battery. Close the gas and let it run until the carb is empty. This should be done about once a month if it is not used in the winter.

4) Empty water from pumps and such. Might be too late already, since the temperatures have dropped. I broke a new pump once that was put away with water still in it. The ice expanded and cracked the casing.

Upvote 0

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good list placergold, especially about those batteries... this is something I'm guilty of not doing. I always have an idea that I'll need them in place in order to do some benchtests, but it cost my Aquanaut 1280X a trip to the repair shop for new battery case wiring. Otherwise clean and make sure all equipment is dry before winter storage. If stored in a damp basement area, ensure the dehumidifier is turned on and set to a timer. A timely reminder from you, many thanks...

Jim.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go south young man as we are just getting fired up here. No Mr.Rattler,wasps,meat bees,ticks,black widows(or white),or environutz to contend with-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread