Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you live in s.w. Oregon. You hit the jackpot. Their is pocket gold deposits everywhere in s.w. Oregon. I cant name any paticular area, cause there is alot of claims. But there is usually areas right close to claims that isnt spoken for, that is still good. Do some research online or county records or such to read about the gold in that area. There was alot of surface pocket gold deposits that are just perfect for a detector. There is a good miner/author from oregon tom bohmker that wrote some good books about the gold there. Maybe check out his books. I have them, they are very informative about the type of gold in your area. If you get in a unclaimed spot within a deposit area; its just a matter of targets till you find gold. Good luck

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure if im suppose to mention someones product ob here but the books are title "the elusive pocket gold of s.w. Oregon and finding pocket gold in californias klamath mountains" which applies for there also since the klamath mtns. Start up that way and the pocket gold deposits are alot alike the ones here at the south end of klamath mtns near redding. Both books from tom bohmker.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry i forgot to mention, but fors gold is a great gold detector to get, it hunts for gold in these bad mineralization areas of pocket gold deposits very well. Good luck

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree and a "more than one time read" is a necessity with that book! At least it was for me! Really good read though!

ronh4

Greenie
Feb 20, 2005
I live in Idaho and have seen some very nice pieces of SE Oregon placer gold, some found with detectors and others found by walking that gold country. So get out and go for it.

OP
OP
O

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you live in s.w. Oregon. You hit the jackpot. Their is pocket gold deposits everywhere in s.w. Oregon. I cant name any paticular area, cause there is alot of claims. But there is usually areas right close to claims that isnt spoken for, that is still good. Do some research online or county records or such to read about the gold in that area. There was alot of surface pocket gold deposits that are just perfect for a detector. There is a good miner/author from oregon tom bohmker that wrote some good books about the gold there. Maybe check out his books. I have them, they are very informative about the type of gold in your area. If you get in a unclaimed spot within a deposit area; its just a matter of targets till you find gold. Good luck

Thanks for the response and the book referral, I've actually done quiet a bit of research on old mines in the area, reading mining reports, claim filings, etc from the 1960's and older. There is a lot of "pocket gold" from the reports of 10 to 50 ounces discovered in random places and I have a good idea of where I would want to go my biggest concern was most of what I've read about metal detecting is out in the desert and I hadn't heard of anyone doing it here in SW Oregon.

I will for sure check out the book and do some reading on the links from Oregon Viking. I just wanted to make sure dropping a grand on a FORS was worth it before going that route.

OP
OP
O

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Picked up the book this morning before lunch. Pretty interesting stuff so far although I have yet to get to the good parts. More facts for my brain which is full of them, although this book has more useful facts than my brain.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I second what CaliforniaGold said, the Nokta FORS Gold is a Supercar among family cars when it comes to hunting highly mineralized soils with a VLF machine.
I have started re-hunting patches of Red highly mineralized ground that I gave up on before with other detectors.

OP
OP
O

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Okay, the book was awesome. I just finished it last night. Lots of good information.........cost me $900 bucks though because I just ordered my Fors Gold Metal Detector :) Hope it gets here quick, I have a 4 day weekend coming up.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you bought from kellyco, it usually takes about 4-5 business days to get to west coast. I bought alot of stuff from them in the past, they usually get right on it . And ship it out. You made a great choice in buying the fors gold. It is a awesome detector with noticeable depth over other vlfs that ive used in 31 yeArs. I wouldnt give mine up for anything else. Good luck

OP
OP
O

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, got it in early this morning though so hopefully it goes out today. I've got some spots already scouted out that should be good to run a detector over

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Congrats on your new detector!!

Everyone mentions western Oregon. I grew up in Klamath Falls (east of the Cascades). Anything over in that country for next time I go back visiting?

OP
OP
O

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New detector won't be in until Tuesday, looks like I'm fishing until the rivers get too high then I'll go run around and look for some old mine sites Sunday or Monday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread