minelab

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heres one for you guys somebody buy one of these new top o the line minelabs, let me take it on a year long rework of my district. i would split all finds.
Just some food for thought
GT...............................

Did I hear you right Herb, trade in your pick, shovel, oar bucket and arrasta for some fancy, new fangled, store bought machine? I'm not so sure the ghosts of the old timer hard rock miners would approve........

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Did I hear you right Herb, trade in your pick, shove, oar bucket and arrasta for some fancy, new fangled, store bought machine? I'm not so sure the ghosts of the old timer hard rock miners would approve........

Just for a year there Rob, i dont think the shoulder would take much more than that, and i would be spying that hardrock and grabbing it at the same time, method to my maddness.
Im dead serious about it if i was approached i would give it one hell of a shot, of course i would have to learn the machine that wouldnt take long as i have had some minelab experience out in the dale.
GT..................

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've done well enough with my TDI and VLF machines that I'm just not interested in throwing down the $8000. (right now anyway) for the GPZ. Detecting is my favorite way to find gold but now I'm ready for prospecting to be less hobby and more "consistent" part time job. For most of us that means fine gold recovery by moving dirt. I have found enough nuggets swinging over the past few years now to go back to these spots and start drywashing or highbanking for the hopefully many oz of fines. I once heard Steve H. mention in one of his great articles that to stay competitive in the nugget patches you must embrace the best technology available which makes total sense, just not for me right now

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Heres one for you guys somebody buy one of these new top o the line minelabs, let me take it on a year long rework of my district. i would split all finds.
Just some food for thought
GT...............................

Will be taking Herbs' temperature asap. He's got to be delirious with fever! If I was spending THAT much for the Minelab I'd sure as :censored: be running it myself!

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Will be taking Herbs' temperature asap. He's got to be delirious with fever! If I was spending THAT much for the Minelab I'd sure as :censored: be running it myself!

i hope you gave that loaner minelab back with a worn through loopcover. no fever just can do it every day, as it what i do for a living, offer still stands it dont have to be a top of the line bleeper just better than my old gold bug.

I would also bet that it would be safe to say 50 % or more of the detectors bought only find dust as they never leave the closet what do you guys think.
GT........................

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't see it as a bad idea just one that maybe hard to sell.
A lot of trust involved in that type of arrangement as I'm sure you know. I have detectors that sit idle for a good while however letting one go... Done lent to many things out to find out that they don't return or other problems ensue.... family, friends or associates.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a pretty good offer for the right person. I personally don't like lending out tools but if I was near you, I would consider it.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
its a good offer for someone, lets look at what they wont have to do, supply gas for the rig n body (food) traversing miles of snake, cactus, rock infested grounds, buy boots, fix truck, deal with the heat, night hunting as dark time bleepin in the desert is fnnn crazy, find huntable grounds and know what you are looking at, dealing with the 1 gram split for the months walking n diggin that im out because thats all i found, and lets not forget that my shoulder will be the one that takes the hit.

sounds like being out a few nickels for a machine isnt all that bad most folks can just go to work to get the moneys i have to go get the gold to get a new machine If i can!!!!!!!!!!
Any takers PM me, we will talk.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a good offer for someone, lets look at what they wont have to do, supply gas for the rig n body (food) traversing miles of snake, cactus, rock infested grounds, buy boots, fix truck, deal with the heat, night hunting as dark time bleepin in the desert is fnnn crazy, find huntable grounds and know what you are looking at, dealing with the 1 gram split for the months walking n diggin that im out because thats all i found, and lets not forget that my shoulder will be the one that takes the hit.

sounds like being out a few nickels for a machine isnt all that bad most folks can just go to work to get the moneys i have to go get the gold to get a new machine If i can!!!!!!!!!!
Any takers PM me, we will talk.

Violates our rules...

" You may not... request the donation of money or material goods, either to yourself or to any other person or organization."

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
Capt Herb,

Thanks for your generous sharing of knowledge, I check for your posts often.
Perhaps consider some time working the other side of the equation some of the time:
offer(outside of this TN site) to guide others - to teach, to learn some prospecting tools and techniques, and create a new batch of prospectors with skills to last a lifetime.
For example, I am from Ohio, have been out to the Dale for occasional week-long trips. Outstanding experience, even if not showing a profit.
Having the company and guidance of an experienced and successful prospector such as yourself would be of great value.

Such a thing may not interest you, but often there is gold on both ends of the shovel :)

-Scott

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Violates our rules...

" You may not... request the donation of money or material goods, either to yourself or to any other person or organization."

Borrowing a metal detector for a year to nugget shoot, then return the metal detector back to the owner along with their' share (half) of the finds. Now, does that really apply here?

Frank

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Capt Herb,

Thanks for your generous sharing of knowledge, I check for your posts often.
Perhaps consider some time working the other side of the equation some of the time:
offer(outside of this TN site) to guide others - to teach, to learn some prospecting tools and techniques, and create a new batch of prospectors with skills to last a lifetime.
For example, I am from Ohio, have been out to the Dale for occasional week-long trips. Outstanding experience, even if not showing a profit.
Having the company and guidance of an experienced and successful prospector such as yourself would be of great value.

Such a thing may not interest you, but often there is gold on both ends of the shovel :)

-Scott

we are here everyday at Claudette mill i would enjoy visits from others that are intrested in the hard rock, they dont just have to be from the Tnet crowd, all mining folk are welcome.
just give me a PM i will make sure im available.
GT..................

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get my GPZ 7000 on Saturday and wouldn't mind a couple day or week trip but wouldn't lend out my machine.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I get my GPZ 7000 on Saturday and wouldn't mind a couple day or week trip but wouldn't lend out my machine.

i dont blame folks for not wanting to lend outa tool, they dont cost money they make money thats always been my saying. but i have something money cant buy expierince in the field and the persistance to stay at it, it was just a thought anyways.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I had a Minelab GPX series machine I would gladly let you borrow it Herb. Unfortunately they are a bit too rich for my blood as well, thats why I swing White's and Fisher.

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont blame folks for not wanting to lend outa tool, they dont cost money they make money thats always been my saying. but i have something money cant buy expierince in the field and the persistance to stay at it, it was just a thought anyways.

Hey GT,
You may wanna reconsider my offer to come down there for a few days. PM me let's chat
20150228_142817.jpg .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread