Gold Bug Pro hits first gold of 2015

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not being able to get to a good detecting spot Sunday, I headed to a place where I have found color but have never seen a picker and know of no one else who has either. Broke open a crevasse about a foot out of water and there was a small picker - sweet! Cleaned up the area and came home with 2.1 dwt.
Got home early yesterday so back I went for a few hours. I panned were I had left off yesterday, saw only flakes and decided to snipe a bedrock finger near bye that I had been eyeing since I was already wet and numb. Scope and screw driver in hand I began. Wow, I immediately see a picker wedged in a small crevasse just peeking out, the biggest piece I've found here yet. Fallowing the gold line, one should be just over here I think as I fan, yup, theirs another, and allot of small pieces my tweezers cant reach. Stoked I fan around as long as I can before needing to warm up but find no more pickers and leave the flakes to clean up later. The suns heading down quickly now so I pack up to go when I think, hell I haven't detected upstream from here before. About 15 feet from were I was a small lower shelf jutted into the river. With water just below the control box on my GB Pro I get a hit immediately. low to high numbers bouncing, I've seen this before with small gold in a crevasse and I've found very little iron here so I know its gold. Yeah!, dogs eye ball me funny as I top my hip weighters and bend over shoulder deep and start fanning. Under a layer of very small rocks I uncover a stringer of small gold, Beautiful. Cleaning it out almost gave me hypothermia. LOL. With the sun down, I left the rest for another time and hiked home full of pride at the end of a great day.
I need not worry about anyone mining the spot because its surrounded by private property ofwhich i'm the only miner that has access. I'm dry suiting up next time out and have high hopes for another good run.

For info: I was useing the stock 5" coil in all metal with gain 12 0'clock and threshold 30.

In the picture the detected gold is one of the small pickers to the right and about a third of the flakes, I kept it separate from the rest and it weighed just shy of .5 dwt. The biggest two pickers on the left i picked sniping and the rest is from the first spot on sunday. All in all, over the first day and yesterday afternoon I found 3.7 dwt.
Happy days- Happy hunting!
AjR

Attachments

• 0225150717.jpg
    0225150717.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 166
Upvote 0

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like you had a great day out there AjR... it's seems a bit odd to me that some of our happiest moments in this hobby are spent alone in the wilder places. But no worries, you do have us to share your adventures with... congratulations on some superb gold, in fact "bravo" on a job well done. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Great story and color there featherdfishead! Congrats on your first detecting gold and thanks for sharing the adventure and the pics!

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the comments gentlemen!
I put on my dry suit and hit the river with just about 2 hours of day light left this afternoon and slowly snufflerd and tweezed another .5 dwt from the crevasse i detected yersterday, sniped around another 15 minutes and came home.

Many very good times and once in a life time memories are experienced alone in our hobby, and finding gold in a crevasse or clay, and getting to admire its beauty and waters amazing powers always bring a special light to the heart - (last year i detected my biggest nugget ever, a 1/4 ozer about an inch long and i'll never forget that magic - a dream day!).
I have one good buddy i mine with but most the time i do mine alone. Luckly i have a great wife and two quarrelsome little children that anticipate my adventure stories and are always proud of dad gold or not.

Thanks again,
AjR

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great little story. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

I still love sniping, and it's cool that you used your detector to help you find that nice, sassy gold.

All the best,

Lanny

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got hypothermia just reading about your adventure, I can imagine every detail you shared and can still feel the cold! Thank you for the share and the best of success in the future...........................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions