Any one use Apex Picks?

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking of special ordering an Apex Badger LT with a 24" handle because my regular Badger is too short sometimes and my Talon just seems a little too darn big unless I'm in the mood to dig some really deep holes.
I also contacted this company http://www.ccpicks.com.au/ about ordering one of their picks from Australia but it's going to be expensive. They look pretty nice tho.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those aussie pics are trippy. I'd say buy a replacement handle and replace your badger handle or cut off your talon handle.

Thanks for the SDC GreyGhost
AjR

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm kinda interested in the Badger LT because it's only got one magnet on it, making things even lighter opposed to the three that the regular Badger has.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy GG - cant wait for my SDC - The Badger Lt is the pick i just bought. I love it, one magnet on top is good for me. I can pendulate the picks head easily by the handle tip, whip it up and grab the iron junk with one smooth motion instead of fiddleing with crap all over the pick head. Each to their own though.
AjR

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question about the magnets. Do you have to keep them away from the detector? I have a feeling that powerful magnets and detector electronics might be a bad thing to have side by each.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure if the magnets would damage detector but i keep the magnet away from mine, it may do nothing though.
AjR

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i was told by a computer tech. that you dont want to get magnets next to your detector control box. he said it can screw it up. so im not sure. just what i heard.
i just got a new apex talon pick myself. so i can dig up your creek when your not lookin. Lol
Good luck

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We are going back to same place that we went last weekend. On sunday. Im gonna use pick to dig down between ground sluice races and get near bedrock and use my small fors gold coil to get little pieces that i hope are there. Going sunday , have to make a wish drive on sat. Ill let you know how the pick did.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look forward to hear how your adventure goes, I've had luck without a detector digging between races. The amount of gold wasnt much compared to the diggn but it was there.
AjR

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
look at arizona outback for good picks, Royals at there own site. Amazon has good deals some times or any good prospecting site.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rob allison at robsdetectors.com is where i buy my picks

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
no biggy man, i try to shop at places other than amazon but like walmart, we all hate them when they do what they do the best - provide our cheap asses with goods. LOL

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You cant trust opinions of scott valley prospectors. They dont know their wives from their minelabs. Lol

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I just ordered the Ausssi pick from ccpicks "prospector model". I want to be effective and this fits the bill for me.

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I just ordered the Ausssi pick from ccpicks "prospector model". I want to be effective and this fits the bill for me.

They've got really good looking picks and I contacted them about buying one but the shipping to the USA ended up being quite expensive. The picks are very pricey too.
I got caught up in a bunch of endless emails with the owner too about price, model I wanted, shipping etc. and it was frustrating because they're down in Australia and in a totally different time zone. He'd take a whole day to reply and sometimes would miss my email, adding another day to his response. Someone should really try to start distributing some of them here. The only negative review I read about them was an Aussie said his had a wobbly head but that was posted a few years ago and might have been fixed since. I know Doc tried to start selling them here but that was a few years ago too.

Then I started hunting all around for anywhere I could buy a Walco No. 3 pick. It looked to be a nice combination of size, weight and length, exactly what I was looking for. It looks like Rob Allison has been using an old one in his latest GPZ 7000 videos too. I couldn't find one for sale anywhere in the USA online or anyone that'd ship one from Australia.

I ended up getting a 24" Hodan Pro Pick from Arizona Outback. The handle on the pick I received was about 22" which was a bummer and the handle tapers down where it attaches to the head which isn't the greatest design for strength. But the shape of the pick and weight was the closest I could find to the Australian picks and the price was good so I'm going to give it a shot. Just have to wait for my N52 super magnet to show up from K&J Magnetics and I should be able to try it out this weekend.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is such a nice selection of picks available in the US. However, I had difficulty finding somebody that was willing to ship to Canada. I had a good experience with ccpicks via email exchange. You are right, about the time difference, but I expected that. I hope I don't have the wobbly head problem - only want that on the dashboard Jesus. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread