Want to hear from ATX users

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been considering buying an ATX for awhile now. I've read Steves pages and nearly everything else about the machine i can find. It would be my first PI machine but i've mined my entire life and have had success detecting for gold the last few years. The ATX appeals to me because I want a PI and also a detector that i can dive my favorite rivers and streams with. I'm in the water year round and pack long distances. I checked out the AT Gold last year when i purchased my GB Pro but didn't think it would hold up to the constant packing and unpacking and long days diving.
I'm curious about how the machine works in cold waters, below 40 Degrees, and what types of results people are getting using the Infinium coils and/or the 8" Mono coil. Also about the falseing issues when banged around. I was hoping to hear from some ATX users on these and any other subjects regarding the machine.

Thank You
AjR

Upvote 0

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one got rid of it and bought a sdc 2300 and have not looked back.

Things I did not like about the ATX:

1. floppy coil
2. sand and dirt jamming up the cams.
2.5 PIA to take apart cams and clean
3. coil falsing
4. PIA changing batteries. Dont drop the battery holders as they are cheap plastic
5. water pooling in the detector nooks and crannies after being washed.
6. PIA to change coils

Things I dont like about the sdc 2300....there are none

strick

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Floppy coil? It has adjustable tension. Not a problem.
Sand in cams? Not if I washes the cams in the water prior to getting out and again at home with fresh water
I have taken the cams apart a few times....challenging, but got it done.
Coil falsing? EMI underground. Retuned machine as suggested with little or no EMI left
Changing batteries is easy....holders can break if dropped with batteries
Pooling in nooks and crannies? Turn it upside down to let water drain out
Changing Coils? Never changed coils, but heard it can be challenging.

I hunt as cold as -25C with no issues except the batteries losing power without a hor pac.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the reply horsedoc, sadly you have addressed many of of the issues i have had concerns about. I do love the SDC 2300 but unless i hit a good strike it is out of my price range (if the wifes looks could kill) LOL. Also i will likely never buy a GPZ or GPX so the depth with the bigger coil on the ATX is appealing. I currently use a Gold Bug Pro and hope to ad a PI to my arsenal to handle the hot soils i constantly encounter and deeper nuggets out of the range of my GBPro.
I know the SDC is not a depth monster but i'm curious how deep you've hit targets of different sizes? Also it looks like it will hit gold just as small as my GBPro witch is awesome, aside from trashy areas it looks like i could use it as my primary machine. It will come down to delayed gratification and how much i worry about deep targets, i can afford the ATX now but will likely need to save awhile to buy the SDC.
Thanks again,
AjR

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quality of engineering between the two companies that make said detectors is night and day. The ATX coil is sensitive to being bumped hence falsing. The SDC coil has no issue being bumped. I can fold up the SDC and place it in the pouch behind the seat's in my truck. I am new to prospecting and have only dug about 30 nuggets with the SDC so I'm not going to be much help on depth. I did find the head of a shovel about 3 feet deep with it lol. It will find micro gold. If I lived near beaches then I would have kept the ATX for that. Don't get me wrong I liked the ATX because of it's capabilities but for finding small gold (most of whats out there) the SDC wins. My new deep seeking machine should be here next week.

strick

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Horsedoc
Sounds like you've got the luck it takes to find gold, 30 nuggets! Good job! With Time, Patience and Hope more will come.
Is your new deep seeker the GPZ? I was offered a deal on the SDC for $3000, and could probably scrounge the money but my wife would leave me. I find gold fairly consistently so i know i'll find gold with either machine, my concern is with quality of build for the abuse i'll put it through over the years and the fact that i will likley never buy a deep seeker like the GPZ or GPX due to cost, thus the coil options of the ATX appeal to me - wish they didn't have the faulting issues, i like scrapping my coil along and not worrying about it falseing. Torn, very Torn
AjR

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to get a used SDC for under 3K easily. Some guys are getting rid of them to help fund the GPZ desire. Yes GPZ is on it's way. I have hunted near Carter Summit Meadows for over 30 years. Love that area.

strick

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the posts horsedoc, I've been watching the market awhile and have decided to wait until down the road. As you said i should be able to get an sDC for under 3 grand in the coming year. Wifes happy i'm waiting. LOL
Yes the Carter Summit Area is Beautiful. I'm born and raised between the Salmon river and Scott Valley. I'm lucky enough to work as a field biologist so I get just about everywhere throughout the Klamath National Forest. I love my Home Land and cant imagine living anywhere else.
Good luck with your SDC and GPZ.
AjR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread