detector for a beginner

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello fellow AU detectors!
I have been thinking about getting a detector and have no idea where to begin. What would you recommend for a beginner? Is it worth trying to find a used one and where? Gold bug, whites, garrets, to many choices? How much do you really need to spend?
I want to use it for primarily gold (99%) but will be at the beach sometimes also. Find the occasional lost ring while the kids a playing!
Thank you in advance for any help and input!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i would look for used gold bug pro #1 choice, gb2 #2 choice, whites gmt#3 choice. you can fing them on craigs list 500$ +/- a few bucks, youll pay more for a gb pro but its worth it from what ive gathered.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A simple to use yet effective entry level gold machine for less than $400./used;
*Gold Bug
*GMZ
These are the machines I keep around for friends and family who want to come along with me prospecting yet have little or no experience.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was going to be a Whites TDI. I was talked into a Whites V3i. As I do like the V3i, I now look back and wish I bought the TDI. I did find a used Gold Bug 2 at a pawn shop for $200 and trade of a $60 gold pendant. I agree that the Gold Bug pro would be a great starter detector. If you have a little bit more to spend I have been hearing great things about the Nokta Fors Gold. However, try to find a way to get the metal detectors that you want in your hands before buying them. If you are in Northern California I have a Gold Bug 2 and a Whites V3i we can take out.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FIRST join a club or go to your local prospecting,gem/mineral or detector shop and check for rentals. Plenty of folks in small local clubs will help you through the horrendous learning curve. Starting out trying to hunt for gold is the worst way to start as most expensive detectors, dangerous,travel mandatory,least rewarding and a extreme majority of EXPERIENCED folks quit real quick. Learn first--then procede-John

Lores

Apr 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro ACE 250 Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a Garret 250 on Craigslist for $100. Nice little machine. I know have a Garrett ATP. I recommend that you pick up a nice pinpointer at the same time. The pinpointer will save you a lot of aggravation.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FIRST join a club or go to your local prospecting,gem/mineral or detector shop and check for rentals. Plenty of folks in small local clubs will help you through the horrendous learning curve. Starting out trying to hunt for gold is the worst way to start as most expensive detectors, dangerous,travel mandatory,least rewarding and a extreme majority of EXPERIENCED folks quit real quick. Learn first--then procede-John

Great advice John

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in (or was in) the same boat ezrider2...

i was down to the X-Terra 705 and the Goldbug Pro.
But I feel my true passion is nugget hunting first and foremost. And after much reading of reviews and comparisons, I will be getting the Gold Bug Pro and get the 5x10 elliptical Coil or look into the NEL Sharpshuter Coil.

Nugget Hunting out of the gate, But it will also be used for searching potential Sniping spots as well as looking for those hot beds to comeback and drywash later (as well as used for checking tailings while drywashing)

I think it will easy enough to use that even my wife may get interested in joining me sometimes,
or one of my boys even.

I will still have the 705 on my list as I do have some very interesting areas around home that show promise of good relic hunting. And when we camp on the beach, having the 705 would be great as well.
PLUS it can also be used for sniffing out the nug's.

My other inkling was a used Gold Bug II, but after hearing of all the upgrades in the newer Pro and a new one for darn near what a used II goes for....the PRO wins.

Good luck to you.

Cheers

G

Last edited:

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get the Nel coil if you get the GB PRO also check out Nokt Fors Gold - very good deal.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say you want a detector for 99% gold detecting and for Beach work, So any of the Higher KHz machine will be too noisy on the beach.

A detector that is made for 99% Gold Detection will be useless on the beach, Unless you buy A PI Machine Like the TDI SL or Garret Infinium, Your other choices are the MXT Series running At 14khz or the Garret AT Pro, NOT The AT Gold Because that wont work to well at the Beach,

The GMT, GMZ and the Goldbug II are proper Gold Machines and having a high KHZ will have Noise Issues on the beach, An your wants being 99% Gold and beach s Like wanting A Vehicle to haul Logs and Run NASCAR, So The Closest thing that Fits your Wishes would be A Whites MXT, The Goldbug Pro is Not A Deep Machine and as a lot of people detect you need depth in Order to find the Targets that others have missed, The Goldbug Pro is A Very Good Machine but the MXTs are the ones to beat for good all round performance and to date have found more Gold In Alaska than any other Machine In History,

I hope this helps, I have Bought the All singing and Dancing Machines But none can match the Straight out Performance of the MXT.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is your budget right now?

The Nokta FORS Gold is one of the hottest VLF detectors available right now.
It is an awesome machine that has been optimized for gold but can easily find all the other cool buried things.

It runs well at the beach too as it is a lower frequency coming in at 15kHz.

I have had the GB Pro and the GB II and while both machines are awesome in their own ways, I feel that the Nokta FORS Gold is a superior machine overall.
I am so confident of that that I sold my GB II to another member on our forums.

Ease of use is also spectacular, when it starts it is already operating in an optimized gold hunting mode for mineralized soils.
Once you feel more comfortable you can start playing with the settings and pre-loaded configurations.

You can also check out a couple video's that I have of it on my YouTube channel.
www.YouTube.com/CrainRacing

I hope this helped a little bit. :)

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Neo is right. I've had mine for a couple months. Have about 6 hours total of detecting. I get discouraged when I don't find gold but know I will eventually. I get targets as deep as 10 to 12 inches only to sift the dirt to a very small amount of dirt and get a piece of metal so small like the size of a sliver. I know I'm running the machine correctly, but as anything ventured it takes time. Those type of targets is what keeps me going out again. Carry a gold pan with you as some of those targets indicate where flour gold may be and won't get detected. Always follow where the heavy material is found. Oh yea carry knee pads you'll need 'em.

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome the crazy world of "what detector should I buy"? Be prepared to drive yourself nuts, because there is no single right answer. It is like looking at a menu at a good restaurant and trying to find the ideal meal. The people all around you will have opinions regarding cost, quality and other factors. In the end, you will have to decide for yourself what you think will make you happy and be best for you. Good luck with your search.

OP
OP
E

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My first detector was going to be a Whites TDI. I was talked into a Whites V3i. As I do like the V3i, I now look back and wish I bought the TDI. I did find a used Gold Bug 2 at a pawn shop for $200 and trade of a $60 gold pendant. I agree that the Gold Bug pro would be a great starter detector. If you have a little bit more to spend I have been hearing great things about the Nokta Fors Gold. However, try to find a way to get the metal detectors that you want in your hands before buying them. If you are in Northern California I have a Gold Bug 2 and a Whites V3i we can take out.

I will probably be up north next month. I will keep in touch, thanks for the offer. Trying to recover, my partners gear got stolen of his claim!So the trip has been postponed!

OP
OP
E

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Thanks, great idea!

OP
OP
E

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You say you want a detector for 99% gold detecting and for Beach work, So any of the Higher KHz machine will be too noisy on the beach.

A detector that is made for 99% Gold Detection will be useless on the beach, Unless you buy A PI Machine Like the TDI SL or Garret Infinium, Your other choices are the MXT Series running At 14khz or the Garret AT Pro, NOT The AT Gold Because that wont work to well at the Beach,

The GMT, GMZ and the Goldbug II are proper Gold Machines and having a high KHZ will have Noise Issues on the beach, An your wants being 99% Gold and beach s Like wanting A Vehicle to haul Logs and Run NASCAR, So The Closest thing that Fits your Wishes would be A Whites MXT, The Goldbug Pro is Not A Deep Machine and as a lot of people detect you need depth in Order to find the Targets that others have missed, The Goldbug Pro is A Very Good Machine but the MXTs are the ones to beat for good all round performance and to date have found more Gold In Alaska than any other Machine In History,

I hope this helps, I have Bought the All singing and Dancing Machines But none can match the Straight out Performance of the MXT.

I just want to use it at the beach when my wife and daughter are playing. Thanks for your help.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
be careful about the beach's that you hunt, read their rules to make sure that you can detect.
A lot are closed to detecting, some have rules about relics and it can be a big mess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread