Snow with a chance of Gold

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone, I found out yesterday that i wouldn't be able to get out this coming weekend so i took a short 4 hr trip into the place i nabbed the merc nugget and saw the Mountain Lion afew days back.

It snowed last night and i was stoked to have a wintry day of mining. We've basically had no winter the last two yrs so this was a welcome suprise. My wife dropped me off and the dogs and i slowly made are way down into the headwaters. It was slow going for my Queensland Healer Zoe, she's going on 10 and after braking her back while mining last year has never been as spry. Droping over the ridge the snow slowly rose until it was waist deep but very light and fluffy so easy to brake trail. We got about half way and ol Zoe slipped into a small streamlette and couldn't get out, so down i went to get her and away we go. We arrived at the spot i'd scored the last nugget and i went to un-stacking the old tailings that the nugget had been just along the edge of. A half hour later and snow ablown i had opened up another 10 sq ft or so of bedrock and began to detect. With the snow flakes growing in size i hit the small piece first with just the faintest of a whisper. I doubted it was actually a target and thought it was ground noise until i got it in my scoop and closer to the coil. The bigger piece came a few minutes latter near the upper edge of the area i had cleared it was a cool mellow tone. Knowing this area rarely has any flakes or fly chit, but wanting to be sure i had brought my EZ sluice. I put thru about half of the gravels on the bedrock but got only one small flake as expected. That took my few hours and left an hour to hike out so i decided to clean up. I snapped the pic of the gold and then drooped the small piece as I tryed to put it in my poke. looked for it a little and then figured easy come easy go - i'll get it when i return in the future. I hiked out a different route up a more sheltered ridge which was good for the old dog being the snow was mostly ankle deep but very windy. Took pics of the old road that hits the ridge i came in on.

I acquired a video camera lately and used the still shots from it for the first time today. They appear a little dark but will work on that in the future. I had a great time and enjoyed the solitude and brisk quiet the snow brought to the forest. I was very stoked on the little nugget, only weighed .2 grams, but its the roughest piece I've seen come from here which is cool because I've been trying to find the golds source up the hill. The old timers have a few runners above but they could have missed one.

Likely the last deep snow trip for the old dog but a rememberable one for sure - and I'm proud to say ive gotten gold every trip out with my trusty SDC.

I hope you enjoy the pics
AjR

Attachments

• mulesnw2015.jpg
    mulesnw2015.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 122
  • SAM_0007.JPG
    SAM_0007.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 133
  • SAM_0010.JPG
    SAM_0010.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 132
  • SAM_0013.JPG
    SAM_0013.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 123
  • SAM_0017.JPG
    SAM_0017.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 114
  • SAM_0018.JPG
    SAM_0018.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 130
  • SAM_0015.JPG
    SAM_0015.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's some awesome weather. And to think it's already getting hotter than sh## down here in Arizona. I've been running the air conditioning in the house for a month now.
Great looking gold too!

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Grey Ghost! I figured that you desert guys might appreciate it. Funny thing is that when i was there on Saturday the temp was in the high 60's. Putn the SDC to good use. Batteries held up good even though allot of the time it was sitting half buried in the snow. We sure need the snow - were at 6% snow pack.
Have a good one and good luck.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had no idea AjR that you could get that amount of snow in California. I mean I knew there was snow in the higher mountains, but I guess I figured summer was on its way where you've been searching. Scene shot #5 is superb with the pristine "smokey" snow blowing-off in the distance, but all those photos are marvelous... including how yellow the gold looks in those light conditions. I take my hat off to you, either you have taken leave of your senses or you are indeed a kindred spirit to head out in those conditions!!! :wink:

Thankyou for relating another interesting outing, we enjoy reading your California adventures and we hope that Zoe is doing alright now. Congratulations on the two gold nuggets, nice and rough-looking... it's all good. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man alive you are 1 STUBBORN son of a gun...kudos for the tenacity but err on the side a caution as frostbite does sneak up on ya. Great snow all over and this is bloody spring man??? Serious crazy stuff going on but will take any water anyway anyday now as up a creek. Nice lookn' gold -John :headbang:

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jim and Hoser
It has snowed upto 4 ft on easter but thats been a good ten yrs ago or more. Usually we'll have a good rain or light snow storm but the weather is very strange nowadays. I live on the east side of the valley so its always drier then the west side due to the rain shadow from the Trinity, Marbel and Russian Wildernesses that surround Scott Valley. And yes it was nearly 80 just last week.Zoe's a bit hobbled but good.

Hoser - thanks for the headz up on hypothermia, I've nearly been hypothermia, have dealt with people who were, and did get frost bite on my little toe when i was a teenager out hikeing the marbels in jeans and logging boots. I Work and mine in the cold water year round. A few years back we had negative temps and a partner of mine were out mapping Steelhead spawning. We would be good in th3e water but immediately upon getting out our dry suits would freeze and stiffen up, our boots would freeze to the ground and all electronics and even sharpy pens ceased to function. The entire Scott River in the canyon froze over that year and we walked miles and miles on ice over some deep holes 30+ ft deep.

Zoe is a tough old dog. She's battled off Cougars and Bobcats on a few occasions, tangled with a few weasels and flushed many a quail and rabbit for me. Even had to run into a Coyote pack that she was fighting with to help her out -I think theyd of got her that day. As a pup she launched out of my buddies truck at 45 mph for a ground squirrel and all we heard was the sound of the melon popping on the road. She was right at my feet when i jumped out of the rig to scan the scene. She tore her face open from eye to nose on the right side and shattered 2 teeth but was more worried i'd be pissed then she seamed to care about her damaged face. I pressed it back together and she healed up good. When she broke her back last year she was swept down a raging spring river and bashed like a raggdoll. I searched and searched until it was dark but couldnt find her, my wife had a college class so i couldnt camp on the spot. I stripped off my close and left them under a bush with the hopes shed find them and stay put and home i went. An hour or so latter i was BBQ out back very emotional over her being lost, shes a great woods dog, when i turned around and there she was dragging her ass end around the corner of the house. She laid down and didnt move for 3 day's. I had to hand feed her and put her water direcly under her nose to get her to drink. When she did move she barely was able to walk and more or less shuffled and then layd down and rested. She really didnt move around much for about a month, I debated shooting her to end the misery but stuck it out with her. Glad i did becuase although shes allot slower and rarley runs anymore she's not suffering and gets around pretty good. Sadly she has been slowing down pretty quick. She's been my most favorite dog i've ever had - she's a total ***** and doesn't really like anyone but me. Dragen is the loppy family dog, she's a lover and is naturally very protective.

Yup i'm a nut but it drives me to experience things many people miss in life. I've tracked many an animal in this weather back to their dens or rousts when it comes to birds. They must of thought i was extra nutty fallowing them home and then hanging outside for hours peeping on them. I have learned a great deal of the wanderings of the critters chasing them around the hills in all the glorious weather were dished out.

The temps here will be in the 90 to 100 very soon. We usually get up to 105 by July, but then we get massive thunderstorms that usually cool it off but also start wildfires.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wonderful background you've related AjR... gives a lot of insight to your posts and to your character. I think it would be quite something to live in the area as one of your neighbors and maybe head out on occasion to do some rock hunting. Although I never worked at it exclusively beyond the first 10 years or so, I graduated a Fish & Wildlife biologist some 39 years ago this April. I do understand and appreciate your love of wildlife, streamwork, and all else pertaining to the great outdoors.

Jim.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jim, although its determined only from reading your stories I've felt a kindred spirit their. Without my connection with nature i cant imagine how life would be, and i gladly dont have to.

As for rockhounding youd love it we have many a good species. If your curious check out the mineral list of siskiyou county on mindat, i think you'll be suprised by the variety in the area. Also trinity county which has many different than here although were very closely associated. Theres a species of Chert called Callahan Chert that is only found along the ridge behind my house. Many people dont even know of it because its all private property and has only been studied a little. I'll have to show you some picks. I also have a beautiful schist piece from down the Klamath River that i think you'll enjoy. I'll get pics and post soon.

Hope your life has been well and you had a peaceful Easter
AjR

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks AjR... yes we'd love to see any photos you have of the minerals in your area. Any type of description would be useful too if it is something that is not widely commonplace, I'm thinking about your chert particularly. Yes we enjoyed Easter with a houseful of family and turkey dinner, including two young grandsons to help me bake some raisin bread. Then we headed outdoors to play some hockey, although both of them are real puck hogs. :wink:

Jim.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your not makin my cold virus feel any better trapsing around in the snow for gold. Lol but sure sounds like fun . Nothing greater then being outside in a winter wonderland. Nice finds. Keep on finding!
Take care

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks AJR for the great pictures and the tale of how the trip went. Both really picked up my spirits!

Out of Auburn CA I've know it to snow in late May and once it flurried on July 4th wknd, that was very unusual. Stay warm and dry and please give your dog a good rub and a pat from me.......................63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AJR--you may be nutz but your goldnutz so it's ok. Back in 92 we had snow,rain,hail and ice storm up in the sacramento river canyon above dog creek exit at mc cardle flats. COLD summer as using my wetsuit heater in July was amazing. Now too old and arthritic to be bold and out in that kinda cold-kudos once again and tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks John - I'll send ya some stream energy next time i'm diving the ice cold waters. I was able to use a wet suit through winter up to a few years ago and then i switched to a dry suit. Even though i'm pretty young i can feel the cold more each year and the fingers sure feel it more than they did 5 yrs ago.

Glad i could boost your spirit 63nkpkr - Good Luck on your next hunt!

Never played hockey Jim but i do like it. Dont watch TV much either but in highschool in the early 90's i loved the Detroit Redwings ol Commie team and never missed a game when i had a chance to watch one. I tried ice skating on a frozen pond here in the valley when i was ten but busted my Ass and never tried again, never got into roller-skates. Closest thing to skating i do is walking out on our mountain lakes and streams when there frozen over.
AjR

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's some more pics of today and some rocks for ya jim.
The kids loved diggn out rocks and scrubbing off the red clay in the wheel barrow with allot of suds and laughter. The Chert is of many colors as you see. light and dark, white, greens, black greys, reds and mixes. Callahan Chert is part of the Moffett Creek Formation of the Eastern Klamath Block and is believed to be of Silurian (400 MILLION YRS Plus for you non geologist) or early Ordovician. Neadless to say the Moffett Creek formation is the oldest in my area. The geology hear is amazing on the east side of the valley were i live is this formation while across the Scott River to the west - the view i show in the pics - is western Klamath Block with rock types exactly like the Sierras. I'm sure your a busy man Jim but you would likely find great joy in studying up on the Klamath Block and its migration from the northern sierra and the corresponding volcanism of the lower cascades. Its purely amazing and very hard to conceive sometimes but very very unique. Geological Studies in the Klamath Mountains Province, California and Oregon by Arthur W. Snoke, Calvin G. Barnes is a good book but their are many websites and books out their.

The Foliated Schist is from down the Klamath River just north of Happy Camp (The reder top is actually copper colored and the entire rock sheen is amazing. The stream that winds through the area i grabed this specamin is one of the most magical i've ever seen. The sands and fine sediments of the entire creek shine like silver and copper glitter, its breath takeing. And for what ever reason the pebbles nearly all erode into perfect circles or oval. I'll dig some out that i've kept. They make perfect skipping rocks and toy coins for the kids. We collect them every time were hike into the area and i had forgotten that i had a stash that i was going to make a checker board for - this post has reminded me - :tongue3: The Chalcopyrite and Quartz is from below Scott Bar down the Scott River. I tried to get the metallic sheen of the Schist and the pyrite but the pics didn't do them justice.

Hope you enjoy the Rocks eventhough it not detector related folks. After all there all present in gold bearing regions.

Gettn Nerdy on ya-all.
AjR

Attachments

• SAM_0030.JPG
    SAM_0030.JPG
    377.1 KB · Views: 91
  • SAM_0031.JPG
    SAM_0031.JPG
    379.6 KB · Views: 87
  • SAM_0032.JPG
    SAM_0032.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 102
  • SAM_0033.JPG
    SAM_0033.JPG
    363.2 KB · Views: 88
  • SAM_0034.JPG
    SAM_0034.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 96
  • SAM_0035.JPG
    SAM_0035.JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 94
  • SAM_0036.JPG
    SAM_0036.JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 81
  • SAM_0037.JPG
    SAM_0037.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 85
  • SAM_0038.JPG
    SAM_0038.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 79
  • SAM_0039.JPG
    SAM_0039.JPG
    386.7 KB · Views: 86
  • SAM_0040.JPG
    SAM_0040.JPG
    386.9 KB · Views: 91
  • SAM_0029.JPG
    SAM_0029.JPG
    337.9 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And pics of today around noon with temps in the mid 60's. The last photo is zoomed into the corner of pic 3. The white building is the old shop at Dredger Camp near the mouth of Sugar Creek, the big drainage your looking up in the pics. The old tailings are 40 - 60 ft tall in most places, you'll notice the Scott River in the lower right corner, very low for this time of year. The tailings have been reworked on a few occasions throughout there 3.5 mile length but it has never been profitable. Most of the gold was small and very flakky and the bedrock was a good 45 ft deep. The area is also known for platinum nuggets but the only people i know that have found any found them up sugar creek yrs ago dredging, pieces up to an ounce though.

Hope you enjoy and if theres any creepys out there eye'n my house, remember my dogs are trained and guns are loaded around these parts.
AjR

Attachments

• SAM_0024.JPG
    SAM_0024.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 85
  • SAM_0025.JPG
    SAM_0025.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 81
  • SAM_0026.JPG
    SAM_0026.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 88
  • SAM_0027.JPG
    SAM_0027.JPG
    331.4 KB · Views: 81

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow now your a photographer . Lol nice pics . Only rocks look better with gold in them like the kind that I find. Lol. Keep up the good work. Most new people to mining could use the picture lessons on rocks and geology. Noboby helped me long time ago. I had to just learn from experience. Didnt even know what they were called. Lol but im just a dumb old timber worker.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks CalGold - you should have seen the face of the lady i was with when i found that chalcopyrite a year or two back. She knows i'm a gold hound (a friend actually calls me his Gold Dog cause if theres gold out their you'll find it - just like one of my ol hunten hounds he'll say) Her eyes were huge and she just stared at me waiting to see my reaction. I tried to pull off that it was gold but she new i'd have likley broke down crying.

I've also had to learn on my own but luckly made friends with on old school geologist that's brilliant.

I'd be willing to make you a great - ones of a lifetime deal and trade you all these beautiful rocks for your dumb little one. You really shouldnt pass up this trade - its a life changer. Lol!!!

AjR

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's some more pics of today and some rocks for ya jim.
The kids loved diggn out rocks and scrubbing off the red clay in the wheel barrow with allot of suds and laughter. The Chert is of many colors as you see. light and dark, white, greens, black greys, reds and mixes. Callahan Chert is part of the Moffett Creek Formation of the Eastern Klamath Block and is believed to be of Silurian (400 MILLION YRS Plus for you non geologist) or early Ordovician. Neadless to say the Moffett Creek formation is the oldest in my area. The geology hear is amazing on the east side of the valley were i live is this formation while across the Scott River to the west - the view i show in the pics - is western Klamath Block with rock types exactly like the Sierras. I'm sure your a busy man Jim but you would likely find great joy in studying up on the Klamath Block and its migration from the northern sierra and the corresponding volcanism of the lower cascades. Its purely amazing and very hard to conceive sometimes but very very unique. Geological Studies in the Klamath Mountains Province, California and Oregon by Arthur W. Snoke, Calvin G. Barnes is a good book but their are many websites and books out their.

The Foliated Schist is from down the Klamath River just north of Happy Camp (The reder top is actually copper colored and the entire rock sheen is amazing. The stream that winds through the area i grabed this specamin is one of the most magical i've ever seen. The sands and fine sediments of the entire creek shine like silver and copper glitter, its breath takeing. And for what ever reason the pebbles nearly all erode into perfect circles or oval. I'll dig some out that i've kept. They make perfect skipping rocks and toy coins for the kids. We collect them every time were hike into the area and i had forgotten that i had a stash that i was going to make a checker board for - this post has reminded me - :tongue3: The Chalcopyrite and Quartz is from below Scott Bar down the Scott River. I tried to get the metallic sheen of the Schist and the pyrite but the pics didn't do them justice.

Hope you enjoy the Rocks eventhough it not detector related folks. After all there all present in gold bearing regions.

Gettn Nerdy on ya-all.
AjR

Thanks for putting up the rock photos AjR... and please say thanks to the children for us. Me and the wife were just looking at the rock samples, we thought you did pretty well at capturing the coppery sheen... it isn't so easy to do without affecting how the rest of the rock looks. Trying to get a representative metallic sheen on my silver samples is next to impossible unless they're photographed in direct sunlight... which I prefer not to do. A result of photographing in the shade is that my silver usually winds-up looking like dull grey or white rock. Six of this, half-a-dozen of the other... but overall your rocks looked very well framed with good representative exposures.

Our knowledge of the areas you frequent is pretty much limited to reading the old Zane Grey stories about the area. Two that come to mind are my favorites, "Forlorn River" and "Nevada". There are innumerable descriptions in those two western romance novels that paint vivid scenes of the countryside, and your photos bring the reality to life for us. I could just imagine putting up a ranchstyle log home with a few horses nickering out in the corrals... maybe ride over to the badlands and chase a few rustlers to work up an appetite for breakfast. Well you can see I'm a romanticist at heart, thankyou for showing us your beautiful rock samples and the areas near to home. Your contributions are the stuff that make forums a warmer place to spend some time.

Jim.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks allot Jim - if people weren't in so much of a hurry all the time it would actually be just as romantic id bet.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can ALWAYS tell when CalGold comes outta the hills and goes to WalMart---he gets the flu/cold/illness every time :BangHead: filthy nasty germ filled place-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread