how do you carry your MD x-country?

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I'm out and about and bush whacking and skirting hills, etc.
In many of these situations, I need both hands to negotiate a climb and grab things.
And at that point I'm saying to myself...How do I hang on to my MD and still have both hands?

I want to do this without having to take my pack off and hang/or strap the MD from the back.
I want it quick on-quick off. And I'm looking at installing a shoulder strap or something and sling it like a rifle.

I'm sure there are others that go a little off the beaten path at times and run across this situation.
So, what do you all do? Curious.

Cheers

G

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lisarez66

Dec 5, 2014
EastCoast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher
GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent tried this yet, but I love hiking. I think using a sling, maybe with velcro fasteners to attach md. Would be worth trying.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy G-Bone,
So I've backpacked for the last 50 years and say for the past 15 years I've brought in some sort of metal detector. I hike rough country!! When I need both hands, I take the detector apart and stash it safely in the pack with some sort of protective foam strapped around the electronics of the unit. If I need both hands then it is likely that having it hanging out in the open is not a wise choice as weeds, trees, rocks, me falling can all damage the inner workings, box & readout, cable and rods. Since I paid about $800 for my machine I really do not want to break it especially as I have learned how to find gold with it so for sure I want to take care of it.

I figure any part of my gear requires that I take care of it as if I do not then when I need it, it will not be able to take care of me. Just my two cents worth...................63bkpkr

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yodles 63bkpkr.
I hear you and understand your point completely.

If I'm going to make a big move, then I will break it down and stow it for sure.
But in my situation, I had only a 15 ft ledge to climb up, that needed both hands.
So for me to take the time to break the MD down and stow it in my pack, for that little 3 minute shimmy......I'd be spending my day tearing down and setting up my MD and not really swinging it much. For me any way.

G

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, went home at lunch and made one up.
We have lots of carry bags at my work, so I stole some plastic D rings and a shoulder strap and installed onto my GB pro.

MD_strap_1.jpg
MD strap_4.jpg

Now, this may not work for some of the bigger PI units. But I think it will work nicely for my little GB pro.

G

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A sling works, but make it so it is easily removable. You also have the risk of falling on it when in difficult areas and it is hanging by a sling. It is just a 15 foot ledge without other stuff in the way, a strong piece of string is less to carry and just pull it up after you when you get up there.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
my question is when its turkey season and i already have a shotgun on my back, do i have room for a metal detector as well? :laughing7:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One word - Zen. Do one thing at a time and do it effectively with all your concentration.

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy G-Bone, The sling will work but may get awkward while scurrying if it shifts or gets snagged. I use double sided velcro strapping that i have cut and made into rings and attached down the middle of my pack. I use a Mil type mule system pack so it has connection loops all over. If i must scurry up or down something that requires both hands i strap the detector to the pack using my velcro strapping. I have also used a small para cord to pull my detector up with me as i've climbed.

With my SDC i can just fold her up - Awesome!
Happy Days - Happy Hunting!
AjR

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Folded up and in my backpack. That's a large part of why I wanted the SDC.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread