NEL coil waterproof?

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yodels!!

I got my NEL coil today! :hello2:
But as I look at it, I wonder if it is water proof?
Nothing on the NEL site actually says they are.

My main reason for concern is the huge gap, pretty much around all edges where the bottom case nests onto the top case.
Here is a close up of some of the worst-case gaps.
NEL coil gaps.jpg
Can anyone who owns a NEL (AJR?) verify if indeed they are Waterproof or not?

I'm thinking of laying a bead of silicone along the entire parting line before using it.
Looking forward to putting her to work!!

Thanks

G

Upvote 0

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a coil cover on the bottom...

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy G-Bone!
Yup their water proof and yup thats a coil cover. Pull that bad boy off and you'll be able to see how solid the Nels are built. Barely a seam at all and solid not hollow.

Gave me a chuckly G-Bone
Have fun with that coil and remember that if in and out of water and grit gets between the cover and coil it'll false like a made man and/or not GB well.

AjR

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you posted that just to give everyone a good chuckle... thanks G-bone... :wink:

Jim.

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean that thing comes OFF?!? It's a COVER?!?
Aww Shees!
G-bone mad.jpg

I guess that's my "gimme" for the day on Dumb questions. :laughing7:

Gave me a chuckly G-Bone
Have fun with that coil and remember that if in and out of water and grit gets between the cover and coil it'll false like a made man and/or not GB well.
AjR

Duuuh....and so that would explain why no matter how many times I ground balanced the thing, It would warble and chatter like a banchi. When bumping up the threshold/gain, I could not get a smooth "hum" out of it for the life of me!!
Like I was 2 feet from a Fluorescent Light fixture.

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No problem bro, we all had to run the gauntlet and pay our dues. There are some really good prospector/detectors around that teach good classes on nugget shooting (especially in Arizona). For a couple hundred bucks you could really shave at least 100 hours off the learning curve, just something to think about....Rob

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem bro, we all had to run the gauntlet and pay our dues. There are some really good prospector/detectors around that teach good classes on nugget shooting (especially in Arizona). For a couple hundred bucks you could really shave at least 100 hours off the learning curve, just something to think about....Rob

Funny, I have been thinking of that Rob. For sure.
AZ outback next spring I think. That sounds like fun!
I'm gonna try and make it to my Prospecting Club meeting (PCSC) this May and meet some fellow members.

There's also a local Metal Detecting Club in Simi Valley by me and I may look them up.
I know they're mainly Coin/jewelry/relic, but all the rules still apply, right?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen local clubs and paying some bsr hundreds for nuttn' is nuts. Many of the best in the biz for free. As a tag along you learn many times faster as the person your assisting WANTS you there and not a contrived way to mt your wallet as your mere presence is a imposition No no never-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions