Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got back from a weekend detecting in Northern Ontario for silver. It was really hot - both in temperature and results.

On the way up, I dropped into an old gold/silver/copper mine that was hand mined in the early 1900s. I had tried to find it once before - typical problem is the location info is not accurate in the mining reports. This time, while I did not find the main mine, I stumbled across a shallow trench and tailings in the woods. All of the rock was dark brown stained with minor amounts of quartz and calcite - the majority were hot rocks. It did not look like it had been detected before (no holes). With the Gold Bug, I found 4 large rocks that I thought worth further investigation and humped them back to the truck. When I smashed one at the site, I could see/smell the chalcopyrite. I will play with them more at home.

I arrived at my final destination with about 2 hours of daylight remaining and went directly to a silver mine that I had detected once before. It is the most dangerous spot that I know. The hillside is laced with deep trenches and shafts, "protected" by crisscrossing woven wire fencing that is mostly rotted and collapsed. Beside each of these deep holes are piles of loose tailings where one miss-step could result in a slide and a "bad day". Of course, my dog Daisy busted a partridge and decided to chase it up. Luckily, she is a good dog and listened when I called her back.

I detected around one 100' high tailings pile with poor results, so climbed to the top where there were the remains of a number of old structures. One must have been a refinery because the tailings nearby were mixed with small pieces of slag. Slag are the true "uglies", but some actually seem to contain silver. From my last trip, I had sliced one that the detector loved and it appeared to be solid silver inside. I found about a dozen similar this time for the collection pouch. I was mostly detecting on exposed bedrock, looking for smaller-shallow items and got a few 1-3 inch rocks with silver and nickel (green stain). These little guys are heavy and give a great bang on the detector when shallow. On my way out before the sun set, I got a screamer. It was a very strange looking thing from about a foot down. It looks like a concrete homemade anchor, except this looks to be melted silver (instead of lime) with chunks of 3/4 crush. It is about 8 inches wide with a smooth rounded bottom of solid metal. I am thinking it was from a large crucible.

The next day's plan was to meet Sheldon later in the morning at the same site, which gave me an opportunity to explore/scout a different location that I had mapped out. I don't think I found the correct road for the mine, but noticed a trail to a hunt camp where they had used mine tailings to fill in the low spots. Out came the detector and between the road and edge of the private property, I found 8 pieces of high grade silver. The largest was perhaps 5 pounds and some of the other was solid chunks of pure silver vein material. Most of it was right on the surface and required no digging! This must be what it was like to be the first guy with a metal detector. Of course, there was some junk like tin and blasting caps, but what a joy! Just before leaving, an old fellow stopped who thought I was bear hunting and gave permission. So, off to see Sheldon...

I got to the mine site and there was Sheldon carrying out a 30 lb rock containing a nice vein of silver. I was so excited about my new spot and there he was doing spectacular on a chuck of ground that I had previously walked by at least 4 times. All of the targets in that area were deep, so we exhausted ourselves until the afternoon digging both junk and silver. I put on my Go Pro after getting two nice rocks and prior to digging the next good signal. I will post the video:

to be continued.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple of pictures - 5 oz nugget & 7 lb stone:
5 oz nugget.JPG 7 lb silver.JPG

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Placergold… congratulations on both those silver pieces and the other smaller material… they should clean up nicely. What looks like red erythrite on the bottom of the smaller sample really improves its overall appeal. Without my glasses (they’re packed for the trip), the exposed silver horns or nodules on the larger sample are still plainly visible, so it all looks good to me. I hope you are as pleased with these results as we are for you. :)

I’ve read accounts about aggressive bear behavior towards dogs, but have no firsthand experience to comment one way or the other. I wouldn’t be concerned about the bears and Daisy so long as you generally confine your searches to mining camp areas. Daisy seems to be very companionable and quite attached to you… this leads me to think that she’d probably stay fairly close at most times. If you should hike into remote areas, some bear spray is a good idea.

I’m not going to say much about the trip north in case it brings more bad luck, but I will drive during daylight hours… hope to arrive within a few days. Good luck and good hunting.

Jim.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most dogs will come right back to you, bringing the beast back to you. Daisy went down the mining road and circled back when she thought fit. She was foaming at the mouth from a tough run. I was supper happy to see her.

Anyway, I look forward to my next trip (or two). I wish you a safe drive north. I will catch up to you and Sheldon very soon

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
Most dogs will come right back to you, bringing the beast back to you. Daisy went down the mining road and circled back when she thought fit. She was foaming at the mouth from a tough run. I was supper happy to see her.

Anyway, I look forward to my next trip (or two). I wish you a safe drive north. I will catch up to you and Sheldon very soon

Wish I could join you guys this season but will have to wait until next year by the looks of it. And Sheldon, we will make that hike into the pond ! Good luck guys and bring home the silver.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another trip last week. The weather was perfect and it was nice not to be baking in the sun for once.

First day, I went back to a spot that was good to us before and did some solo detecting/digging with Daisy. Here is one short video of that dig:

The next few days, I was able to get out with Sheldon to return to some old spots and check out some new places which is always interesting and fun. In one area, I was digging little 1 oz pieces and he was pulling up pounds. LOL I had to wait until he left for supper to find my own 5 lb-er there (by digging out one of his holes deeper and wider).

Another highlight was meeting up with Jim. He is a heck of a nice guy with a wealth of knowledge and experience. If at all possible, his wife is even nicer. I have a habit of keeping anything which has a touch of silver. At one point I bought out some of the little "nuggets" which we poked through. Jim's initial comment was "they always look better in the field, then when you bring 'em home". Probably a nice way of saying he could not believe I wasted a day digging for stuff like that. hahaha He then showed me two of the most beautiful nuggets of solid bright silver that one could ever imagine. Jim knows quality.

Anyway, I returned the next day to get Jim's opinion of an 80 lb-er that I was uncertain about. I learned quite a bit watching him assess it. His conclusion was "Sheldon would really like this rock", which I am guessing is a large step up from earlier. LOL Actually, he also said it should be a good one to slice as there appears to be silver all through it from looking at what is exposed on the outside.

Once again, my time detecting was short and had to get back to work. I have a number of rocks to clean up at home. I hope to get out one more time this year before things freeze up.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great narrative on that last trip. The newly reintroduced alpha male wolves are HUGE and I'd definitely go back to packing a weapon as a pik....not so effective-John

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another trip last week. The weather was perfect and it was nice not to be baking in the sun for once.

First day, I went back to a spot that was good to us before and did some solo detecting/digging with Daisy. Here -zftqjm8[/video]

The next few days, I was able to get out with Sheldon to return to some old spots and check out some new places which is always interesting and fun. In one area, I was digging little 1 oz pieces and he was pulling up pounds. LOL I had to wait until he left for supper to find my own 5 lb-er there (by digging out one of his holes deeper and wider).

Another highlight was meeting up with Jim. He is a heck of a nice guy with a wealth of knowledge and experience. If at all possible, his wife is even nicer. I have a habit of keeping anything which has a touch of silver. At one point I bought out some of the little "nuggets" which we poked through. Jim's initial comment was "they always look better in the field, then when you bring 'em home". Proba
bly a nice way of saying he could not believe I wasted a day digging for stuff like that. hahaha He then showed me two of the most beautiful nuggets of solid bright silver that one could ever imagine. Jim knows quality.

Anyway, I returned the next day to get Jim's opinion of an 80 lb-er that I was uncertain about. I learned quite a bit watching him assess it. His conclusion was "Sheldon would really like this rock", which I am guessing is a large step up from earlier. LOL Actually, he also said it should be a good one to slice as there appears to be silver all through it from looking at what is exposed on the outside.

Once again, my time detecting was short and had to get back to work. I have a number of rocks to clean up at home. I hope to get out one more time this year before things freeze up.

Hi Placergold... CONGRATULATIONS on those numerous silver ores, from what I saw recently... you did extremely well. Encrusted silver ore is difficult to evaluate with any real confidence, but that 80 lber has silver showing wherever we gave it a leather glove rub and that sample flirted with a target ID near or at the zinc penny level. It leads me to think there is good silver present although slabbing it would certainly put that question to rest.

I think I mentioned in the Abandoned Trails article last winter that samples in the field do tend to look a bit more promising than they do back at camp... where we tend to view them with a more critical eye. Probably a good thing since it helps to motivate some of us to pack out rocks that on the surface may not look too promising, but which further testing might reveal some nice surprises.

In any case, the wife and me thoroughly enjoyed our time with you and Daisy... she is such a lovable companion and highly intelligent. If I am still here when you return, Daisy is welcome to the extra bed in the camper and you can have your truck all to yourself. How does that sound?? Hopefully we will see you again, but if not... well I do have my wifes tablet to stay in touch on the forum from today forwards. By the way, Jo and me managed some few smaller multi lb specimen grade samples, but that area petered out pretty quickly... so it is back to exploring with a dash of wishin and hopin. All the best Placergold...

Jim.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am thinking about coming up next weekend plus a few days. The weather sure has gotten colder quickly this year. It will probably be my last kick at the can until spring.

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Placergold... check the forecast just prior to leaving, presently calling for some wet weather but that is several days ahead. Last few days have been cold with a few centimeters of snow... hard freezes at night. I am concerned about the ground frost because minus10C or 14F is forecast Tuesday night...hard freeze again.

Today was 55F and sunny but I spent it doing laundry, getting a much needed outdoor shower, tidying camp and chopping firewood, then went shopping for food supplies... where is Jo when I need her? So no hunting the past four days, but at least organized and ready to head out tommorrow. Just prior to the awful weather, found a silver ore estimate 25 lbs but doubt it will ever find a place on my shelf... willsee about that later.

Thankyou for the video, would be nice to see that rock a bit closer. Hope to be around when you arrive but no promises.... good luck with your next visit. :coffee2:

Jim.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I checked the forecast and decided to ignore it and went north anyway. One day was rain and high wind and then dropped below freezing. When I woke up, the back of my truck was frozen solid and I had to wait a few hours to get at my detectors. My dog Daisy did not mind because we went grouse hunting. I think she flushed about 20 birds when I only had the detector with me, so she loved it when I had a gun. One funny thing happened while hunting, is I found some tailings and a shaft hidden deep in the woods. While checking it out, Daisy flushed a grouse (which I took two shots and completely missed because I was distracted). I went back later with a detector and found nothing there.

The previous two days, I had detected with Sheldon. I found a few pieces, but once again Sheldon "cleaned my clock".

On my last full day, I got into a spot that was outstanding. I took a video and will post it shortly. It was a strange place, because I had gotten nothing in multiple directions and tailings, but in a 15' x 15' area (that had some prior metal detecting holes), I took out multiple pieces of high grade. I am thinking it might be where they stacked their ore. There were 22 bullet casings, so I am thinking others mostly walked on by, thinking the area in general was useless and that spot in particular was full of junk. Next year, I will try a dig there to see what might be deeper.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Placergold… got your PM thanks…congratulations on your most recent silver finds, we’re looking forward to your video. It seems to me from your adventures and looking over your many finds that you’re every bit as persistent at silver hunting as is Daisy at flushing grouse. We’re glad that your most recent trip turned out to be rewarding and it sounds like you had a really nice time.

We occasionally discover new detecting sites such as the one below when poking around areas in the woods adjacent to the old minesites. Sometimes we see and photograph interesting flora as illustrated by the mushroom… hope it is correctly labeled. Exploring is fun, it leaves us with great memories and occasionally produces some good silver. Your last remarks about digging that area next year make perfect sense. There’s no way to know if it’s scattered surface material or if there is more at depth. Trenching can be a PITA but can also be a lot of fun if we hit paydirt.

The forecast for this week has made me wish we were still up there. All the very best if you return to the area Placergold. :)

Jim.

PRIME REMOTE AG TAILINGS SF17YYO.JPG

MUSHROOM AMANITA SF17YO.JPG

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim - Nice picture of a miner's mushroom. Actually, it is a thing of beauty.

For sure digging a hole in compacted tailings is a PITA and can wear you out fast. I have also learned that no matter where I toss my waste, that it will always be on top of the next spot that I need to check out - - the only thing worse than moving a rock, is moving that same beast more than once. In fact, I considered taking my ice fishing (all plastic) sled with me, so when I dig a deep hole, I keep filling it up and then moving the rocks far, far, away. Also, being plastic, I would give it a once over with the detector to make sure I am not discarding something good. I would probably wear out the bottom of the sled in no time, which is why I have not tried this.

Anyway, here is part one of some of the fun I had in an outstanding little spot. I didn't use a holder for my little camera, so once in a while you see fingers over part of the picture or hear some breathing when it was in my mouth.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is part 2 of 3. The size of the silver is getting smaller in this hot spot, but still finding lots...

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The finale (part 3 of 3).

Oh, by the way. I drove back afterwards and searched once more to see if I missed anything and got a 22 casing and a very tiny nugget. Then I dug up the suspected hot rock again and took another look at it. I smashed it (sorry Jim, I know you hate when specimens are smashed) with my rock pick and could see what looked like silver along the break. Normally, these rocks are leverites, but the Minelab usually handles them well enough by giving a "nul". In the end, I trusted the machine. It is probably not the best rock, but I will slice it to really see what is inside. I have hit the outside with a dremel and looked at the "silver" with an optic and it still looks interesting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My daughter put together a little box of native silver specimens for her grade 8 Science teacher. It think it made an attractive present:

Gift for Teacher 2.JPG Gift for Teacher 1.JPG

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was fooling around with my wife's camera and took some close-ups of a few small pieces that were found this summer metal detecting. This Christmas, I made up gift boxes for various friends of some my samples and these were leftover. I intend on volunteering them tonight for a draw on the GPS radio show. I was thrilled to win some paydirt on two different forums, so thought I would do the same for somebody else. Not everybody has a chance to find their own Ontario silver.

The larger slice in the first two pics is a mixed ore about 1/4" wide and weighs about 3.3 oz. The slice with the vein holding together two rocks is 0.5 oz. The ore chunk is a hair under 3 oz (from a small spot that I caught on video and took about 30 lbs of similar rocks).

So a question for Jim or Sheldon, who know better than me: Would the coppery hue in the second picture of the slice be a little bit of cobalt or nickel in the matrix?

Hudson Bay Mine Silver Slice (back).JPG Hudson Bay Mine Silver Slice (front).JPG Trethewey Mine slice with silver vein.JPG Beaver Mine Silver Ore.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Placergold… thanks for posting the ore photos… volunteering some samples for the GPS radio show is a thoughtful and generous gesture.

Metallic copper hues in that area normally indicate nickel ores… typically a nickel arsenide named nickeline (formerly called niccolite) whose fresh native copper appearance and typical massive structure is distinctive. It oxidizes to green annabergite. Breithauptite… a nickel antimonide more frequently seen as disseminated grains in calcite… tends to be more coppery-red that tarnishes to a violet color. I can’t be sure what is in that rock from a photo... need to see the sheen... but its circular presentation is attractive nonetheless.

Despite an abbreviated trip, we got lucky this season... several large multi-lb specimen quality silver pieces. Time moves along quick… it won’t be long before we’ll hopefully see you in the north country again next autumn. Joanne and I would like say how much we enjoyed getting to know you and Daisy, and to wish you and the family a very Merry Christmas and all the very best in the forthcoming New Year.

Jim.

AUTUMN PROSPECTING TEMISKAMING SFYG14N.JPG

9.7 OZT NUGGET REVSF19PANYGG.JPG

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input. I was thinking nickeline too, but I could also see the bright silver hue of silver in the sample. What confused me a bit, was normally the slices with nickel would tarnish quickly (obvious within a week or two), whereas this one did not and it has been months. Anyway, when I mailed the specimens to the winners of the draw, I added a few extra pieces so they all got a slice and a nugget.

The 9.7 oz nugget in your picture. Did you have to do much to clean it up to look like that? It is beautiful!

You will definitely see Daisy and me up north next year. Hopefully, I will have a small camper, as sleeping in the truck was a bit tight/uncomfortable. Heck, if the weather stays this mild, I am actually tempted to make a short trip before New Years. It was colder in Oct. than it is today. Usually, I take Amy skiing on Christmas Eve and ice fishing on New Years day. Last year was the only time since she was 3 that we decided not to ski before unwrapping the presents (the Dutch do gifts on the eve), because it was too darn cold. What a difference a year makes...

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Placergold... the 9.7 ozt piece was initially treated to an acid bath to remove calcite, dremeled with what I think is called a silicon carbide bit, followed by a small circular wire brush to help with sulfide removal in difficult areas. It was worth the effort because the silver is high purity, quite soft or malleable, and I anticipated that it would take a decent photo.

I could show you samples with dendritic silver mixed into solid nickeline... that combination is not terribly unusual in the area. The photo below shows us some silver and nickeline occurrences in a calcite matrix.

Jim.

4.1 LB NICKEL SILVER CALCITE SFB2 .JPG

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim - thanks for the info. Last time I used acid, I was impatient and destroyed the samples. I have some good pieces to try to clean up and since I have all winter, will take my time.

I was playing with some of the smaller silver that the Gold Bug sniffed out. Here is just under 3 oz of nuggets that I cleaned up a little bit:
silver nuggets in gold pan 1.jpg

silver nuggets in gold pan 2.jpg

silver nuggets in a gold pan 3.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread