Please rate and help a newbies build.

A11

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2015
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So i'm a complete novice to metal detector prospecting and would like some experienced peoples inputs for my field load out/gear i'm looking at using this upcoming spring/summer here in the Colorado Rockies. Note already have some areas picked out I want to go and figure they fall under the heavy mineralized areas, lota silver/lead ore and magnetite black sand in these areas.
SO for starters I was looking at the following gear for gold prospecting.
Detector = Minelab GPX 4500
Coil = 15" Double D for searching targets then a 8" monoloop for searching surrounding area around any targets found with the 15".
Pin pointer = ?? IDK how handy are these? Any recommended?
Tools = Crevice and chisel set along with a small sledge as well as a folding shovel and treasure pick/ mattock. Sack for trash objects I find as well as a container for any gold.

Basically I picture 4 wheeling into some pretty remote areas and then hiking and metal detecting into remote mountain areas. I plan on using the 15" DD to search for any targets and once I get some good targets/ signal returns then digging for said targets and breaking out the 8" mono to kinda grid scan the surrounding area for any smaller gold and look for a paystreak. Any way those are just my thoughts but I would like some inputs as far as gear and/or tactic recommendations or critiques. Thanks for any inputs.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your trying to fly before you know the walk. Slow down,join a small non profit local yokel club and learn who,what and where with ON hands experience as nugget shooting is the absolute hardest,costliest, time intensive, expensive form of mining there is. EXPERIENCE and not $$$$$$$$$ will bring you success. Have fun first as at least 90%+ give it up quickly. John

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second what John is saying, detecting for gold has the appeal of being a rather easy way to locate gold but from my experience it there is so much more to it. Just finding the right type of ground suitable to detect is extreamly challenging.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Make that a third for what John stated. Detecting is not as easy as many people seem to think and a lot of them end up finding this out the hard way. Having all the high priced toys does not mean that you're going to be finding gold right away. EVERY machine has a learning curve to it and until you can honestly say that you've mastered your detector you will miss a lot of subtle signals telling you that there is gold under the coil. You have to "Train" your ears and mind as to what the different tones mean and that takes time. You also have to learn how your machine reacts in different conditions. Just moving a mile or so can mean some major differences in the soil and how your machine reacts to it.

Knowing your gear is important no matter what kind of prospecting you're doing. While the old saying of "let the terrain dictate the equipment" is very true, metal detectors can be used in a wide variety of terrain and conditions ONCE YOU KNOW YOUR MACHINE.

indianbullet

Greenie
Aug 11, 2015
Redding/Susanville Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4500
Nokta FORS CoRe
Whites Spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had many a labor intense job in my life, but detecting for gold is the hardest I have worked for nothing so far.
That said I can't wait to go at it some more....

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest Youtube. Watch videos of what works for others to get some ideas of things to try. Also watch some detector comparisons, you should be able to get a Garret ATX cheaper and it folds up. Not sure if its a better machine but I see lots of nugget hunters using them on youtube.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with what others advised, and will add some more. You are in Colorado. Lots of minerals, but not the best place for nuggets. Lots of fine gold, but not necessarily nuggets. Starting out with a PI might not be the best option in Colorado. Do some research. Join a local club. Seek local knowledge before you spend your hard earned money. You might find most in your area prefer something like a GB2 or similar VLF detector that is more successful for finding smaller gold. Traveling to find gold gets expensive. I am fortunate to live in a state and area with nuggets close to home. This hobby ain't easy and it takes years to become skilled at finding gold with a detector. I did many months of research before I bought a PI. I joined a couple clubs and went to outings and asked a lot of questions and found gold by other means well before I bought a detector. A GPX4500 is a fine machine, but if it's your 1st metal detector it will be frustrating and time consuming to learn it's many features. Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread