New gear alert

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great you will love detecting and I'm sure your daughter will as well! You will be amazed at just how much trash is in the ground in some of the most remote locations, but sometimes you get lucky and find ground that's really workable. I'm still trying to get my first nugget with my detector, I have found quite a few cool coins and jewellery with it though but gotta keep at it for the gold. I've heard hilly areas with a lot of manzanita and live oak are good areas to nugget shoot if in the right location. I would love to detect a hydrolic wash area but getting harder and harder to find a spot like that.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations mytimetoshine... hope you have a lot of fun and success with this unit... it looks to be a really topnotch gold detector by all accounts to date. The other unit is a great way to introduce your daughter to the hobby. 8-)

I had the same idea years ago, and my daughter has accompanied me and the wife on several prospecting trips to northeastern Ontario. Those experiences left us with some wonderful memories, and it was exciting to find a bit of native silver while hunting together. Good luck!!! :icon_thumright:

Jim.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with the new machine and BIG Gold to you! :occasion14:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your daughter is anything like mine, you had better get used to using the Bounty Hunter....because she will abscond with the Fors (assuming that turns out to be the better detector) and pinpointer. LOL

I wish you and your daughter great success with the new toys. Sounds like it will be a special birthday for her.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your daughter is anything like mine, you had better get used to using the Bounty Hunter....because she will abscond with the Fors (assuming that turns out to be the better detector) and pinpointer. LOL

I wish you and your daughter great success with the new toys. Sounds like it will be a special birthday for her.

LOL that sounds about right. She always takes my cool toys!

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for no update guys, but I had everything delivered to my parents house for safety since I live alone in an apt. So I haven't even been able to play around with it. I probably won't have a chance to use it till after Christmas since I don't want to spoil my daughters surprise. If she sees mine she will either know what's up or be hurt I didn't get her one so I'll just wait...

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got to take this bad boy out of the box! My daughter is with her mom till her birthday next week. Can't wait to see the look on her face.

So with my Christmas obligations full filed yesterday I decided to go out and see how much I don't know about medal detecting, lol

I planned a short sort of multi purpose easy trip. My fever has been out of control so I decided to bring my gold pan and waders too. Right under the bridge is a Rockpile I work when I don't have much time to hike in. After last week's rain the SF hit 6k CFS and the whole area was underwater so being basically a newbie I wanted to see what the water flow did to the area and if any flood gold was present. Sadly the water flow didn't do much, smoothed out some of the dug pits but nothing really moved..scraped some top layer back sand and didn't notice and recently deposited flood gold. So I just ran a half dozen pans of some ones hole that was up higher. Had some clay in it and was able to reduce my fever with a few flakes into the pan.

So I put all my gold stuff in the truck and grabbed my detector. I have never used one before. Did a Quick skim through the manual before I left this morning but that's it. Started right on the main trail. I did the ground balance thing and then turned on the ground tracking which I'm now thinking was wrong? Not sure what the difference between the tracking and the balance is. But anyway I started getting signals instantly. In fact I couldn't go 2 ft with ought one... lol soooo much trash. Nails, caps, tabs, foil, fishing lures, pennies... it's amazing how much trash is in these rivers...

I'm really glad I bought the pin pointer. It would have got frustrating quick trying to locate the targets otherwise. Anyways.. it was pretty fun and I can't wait to learn more.

....I did have one interesting target. Idk what it was but the pole went deep I couldn't get it out and the top broke of when I tried to Yank it out.

Attachments

• 1451100186979.jpg
    1451100186979.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 1451100199713.jpg
    1451100199713.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 1451100208320.jpg
    1451100208320.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 1451100218640.jpg
    1451100218640.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, I'm working on getting some new gear myself.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Way to go!

Now that you're getting after it, all other kinds of goodies will pop up too.

I too have no idea what the find in the picture is.

All the best as you get out and learn more,

Lanny

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We celebrated my daughters birthday on Friday and she got the detector. I expected her to be really excited but the reaction was " what the what"?...‪#‎birthdaygiftfail‬.

I convinced her to go out to a little area down the street for an hour this afternoon. This is a kids detector and she still can barely carry it... lol. As soon as it started going off the treasure hunt was on!
Her first target was probably the coolest. A pretty large old time stake driven into the base of this old Oak tree. What it was used for? That's left up to the imagination some times which is part of the fun. The next 20 targets were modern pieces of iron and wire probably from when the oak Grove was converted to a park. Then a penny was found near the bench. Then 2 deeper targets. Square nails... which to me are cool even though they are easy to find. 100 years old at a minimum.
Then the last target.. Ava got some pieces to her "old kettle". About a foot down.
It was fun and I think she had forgotten why she wanted the detector in the first place, but when she started finding old stuff buried in the ground she was on it. I wish I had one when I was a kid. Your imagination just runs wild when you finding all this old stuff. Good times!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread