any reason why I should wear headphones with a silent search model? Whites GMZ

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
any reason why I should wear headphones with a silent search model? White's GMZ

I have a White's GMZ, 50 KHz, SILENT SEARCH - no threshhold. It only beeps when I hit a target. When I bought it, I was advised that the headphones were a must. I see instructional vids and they say it's important, but those are units that produce a hum or threshhold sound while the user decipher some small change or zip sound. I only have to hear the one beep, which is more than loud enough. I'm not detecting around other people so I see no need for headphones. Am I missing something?

On a side note, picked up a Garrett Pin-pointer AT today, big time saver. Now I can find bullet casings and shrapnel in record time!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones block the outside noises of wind, traffic, airplanes and provide a much cleaner crisper sound so you can run easier and makes ID of junk easier. You must learn your units sounds as it talks to you. Hum?? Turn down your units thresh hold as they are not supposed to put out their own signature sound. Microwave towers, some cell towers and monster base stations sometimes will cause that problem also. In the summer I use 1 ear to listen for rattlers also for safety sake-John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
What John said ^^^^^^^^

Another thing to learn/remember is to be patient! Good detectorists are made, not born! Take the time to learn your machine inside and out. Setting up a "Detector garden" is a good way to learn your new machine and what noises it makes for different materials. Clear out a patch of ground or use a kiddie pool filled with dirt and place different objects into that area at different depths. Nails. shell casings, a can or two etc etc etc and then go over them with your machine and really listen to the sounds it makes as you pass it over them. Also glue a small nugget to a PLASTIC poker chip and go over it at different depths as well. The better you know your machine the higher your chances are of finding something other than junk. Also remember to remove any trash targets you find. Keeps you form finding them again and again.

I just got a great deal on a Fisher Gold Bug and will be learning it form the ground up. I used to run a MineLab X-Terra and they're completely different in how they sound off on targets so I'm back to square one.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some targets, deep or small, produce weak tones and are easy to miss without headphones. For me they are a must since I am hard of hearing anyway.:censored:

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Headphones are very important. The only other option is an external speaker on your shoulder close to your ear, for some guys. I myself don't like external speakers and use a 1 ear headphone called Rattlers because I want to know if something is happening around me. Having both ears covered is not smart in the places I typically hunt, but some kind of headphone or speaker close to your ear is a must if you don't want to miss targets. Dennis

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I don't like being hooked up to my detector and don't like my ears covered (especially both ears) if I can help it. However, there are times when headphones are the better way to go. They do block out noise (wind, people, machines) and you will better hear the soft sounds, even when detecting in silent mode. I also find that I concentrate better because I am only listening to the detector and not everything going on around me. I have never hear of Rattlers but conceptually like the idea.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When not using ear phones you are going to miss plenty of targets especially with a machine that has no threshold to break like the GMZ (indicating a subtle target) I don't like wearing those things either so the "one ear cup" Rattlers were a good compromise for me.

I too have the GMZ and the GMT. The GMZ is a fine prospecting detector that never really caught on in a market flooded with VLF's. I have found gold with it and being so easy to operate its my go to machine that I often loan to friends. I usually run the GMZ with sensitivity maxed, salt switch off and increase or decrease the ground reject till I hear just a bit of what sounds like "subtle crackling" or static but too over-whelming. I'm constantly working the ground reject knob to maintain the machine in this state which seems to run the machine "hot" to very small gold in my experience.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use high quality in ear head phones with a inline volume control if needed. The isolation type head phones do not cover your ear, the go inside like ear plugs. I use these exclusively and the nice thing is they are adjustable. If the are not properly seated you can still here the sound from the driver but also outside noise. So one ear is always properly seated and the other is loose so I can hear my surroundings. This particular manufacture has longer cables than most which are Kevlar reinforced.
Etymotic Research | Consumer Products
I tuck the cable inside my shirt then use an extension cable to the MD which clips to my pocket with the earbuds plugged into that. I also use an FM wireless setup with the same earbuds only they plug into a pocket radio on my belt and the transmitter is attached to the MD.

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Battery life will be increased when using headphones. I too will be running with one earphone. While camped out at Lytle Creek (way back up away from people) My extra eyes and ears (pet dog) woke me up and I found a mountain lion sniffing my jeep tires. It left and went back to its patrolling his area. That was BEFORE the drought we have now. These cats will venture to lower altitudes and have been shown on the news doing so. Love them Pacific Diamondbacks, Mojave Greens & Sidewinders. Keep one ear uncovered and detect with a buddy (human or not) . :)

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought an M6, so when I take a friends detecting, they have something less complex to use. The lack of a threshold always made me feel that I knew I had left something behind. The threshold is an annoyance to some, and not having it is cool :)

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Vigilance mandatory for sure as brother bear is also around somewhere-John

When I lived in rural PA, I carried a folding stock AK when detecting in the woods. Heavy and awkward yes. Brother bear usually is a scaredy cat. BUT Momma bear with cubs is a very bad life threatening situation. And I was NOT going to be a noonday snack. I love nature, but one must carry insurance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread