Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heya everyone;

Here is a little follow up of the copper bar that I found with my Nokta FORS Gold a while back.
The video is a little older as I still thought it was native copper when I recorded it.
I thought I had uploaded this video already but when I looked back through my video's I didn't see it, so I am guessing this was one of the video's that failed to upload due to having poor internet.

It is not a very exciting video but its something to watch during the slow months of Winter. :)

Now I did have a somewhat happy accident, the 2nd video was not suppose to be edited like it is, it was just suppose to be compressed and put out without anything extra.....but that didn't happen. LOL
I guess the new software had a pre-loaded theme that I failed to notice when I started the compression.
It ended up being too funny not to post. :)

Lastly at the bottom is the original video in which I found the spill.

Enjoy. :)

The follow up

The Accident

The Dig

Upvote 0

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for posting the videos NeoTokyo... you do a great job of presenting information... and I enjoyed it very much. That copper piece is attractive, unique and interesting... I wondered if there might be some silver in the mix because native copper that has been brushed or otherwise abraded will look 'coppery'. Perhaps it is just a result of the lighting, nonetheless it did raise a question in my mind.

Hope you continue to post about your finds over the winter, and your impressions regarding the new detector. Meanwhile NeoTokyo, I'd like to wish you a Merry Christmas and all the very best in the forthcoming New Year.

Jim.

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jim, a very Merry Christmas to you too. :)

I wouldn't doubt there is silver or even gold mixed in.
I accidently broke it in half a while ago and there is a very bright rose colored streak in the middle, just like the smaller bits that I had found.

In the middle I also found a small stick running lengthwise.
This confused the heck out of me and I cant imagine why it was in there, my best guess was that instead of being native copper that this was a spill of some sort but wouldn't the stick have burnt? It wasn't burnt at all.

I was looking at it closer tonight and noticed that on one end there was an area where a root could have grown into it. This of course solves the stick issue. :D

What got me looking at it again tonight is that one of my Facebook friends ( Jérôme Gemme ) posted pictures of a large slab of native copper found in North-West Quebec.
The slab had the same exact characteristics that mine has so now I am leaning back to it being native copper. lol

As for heading out for more detecting, I cant right now because the detector is down.

The trigger pinpointer stopped working and VDI went WAY off a long time ago, ground balance didn't hold for more than 5 seconds and gold was reacting really weird and having a hard time being heard.
I was trying to work around it because I didn't want to be without it.
When I found these copper nuggets I was only having ground balance issues.
So after Christmas it is going to KellyCo to try to fix it.

I had wanted to do a full and proper review with my gold pickers, jewelry and silver but being that it has almost always had issues I havnt been able to yield consistent results and deleted the video's.
At first I thought it was me, that I was doing something wrong because of a couple other people that I talked to that said that their machines did the same.
Later as problems got worse I did some research, I saw that other people were having similar problems.
I only decided that it was time to go in for service last month when the trigger stopped working.

I have walked many dozens of miles and dug thousands of targets but have never got the gold in these gold rich area's where others have had success.
I was very perplexed by it but I know now that it wasn't me.

Its also always been very well taken care of, free of dirt and moisture and I always kept the rain cover on because in thick manzanita you can loose battery doors and scratch it up pretty quick.

I also had a problem with the RS pinpointer too.
Just about any time it was tilted sideways or slightly bumped it would go into full tone soundoff until it was turned off in the upright position and started in an upright position.
I wonder if the box was dropped or banged around a lot or experienced extreme temperatures or maybe radiation.

I haven't mentioned my problems publicly before because I wanted to get them back from service first before reviewing the issues.

The Fors Gold detectors that are not affected with these problems or the ones that have been repaired are perfect though, wonderful machines and one of the best VLF gold detectors on the market.
I love using it so much more than any of the other Gold Machines that I have owned.
The New Gold Plus is even better and I would recommend it to anyone anywhere. :)

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NeoTokyo… it must be a root that grew into the copper, otherwise it would have been burnt to some extent or completely oxidized away. The attached rock certainly points to a natural specimen, but regardless it is an unusual and interesting keeper. 8-)

Some have reported malfunctions, but the company seems to be proactive in resolving such issues. Otherwise the reports have been positive regarding performance in the field. I think the probability of finding gold will increase commensurately with the enjoyment you derive from using this specific model. Good luck and please keep us posted as things move forward.

Jim.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I enjoyed your videos as I do have some slow time in the winter to look at things as the good gold ground is now frozen solid.

Thanks for taking the time to post your information, to share your adventures, and congratulations on finding such a nice chunk of copper.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim, that's exactly what I am thinking too. It was just so odd to find that inside of it.
I haven't sent my detector in yet, I have not had a chance but when I get it back I will be back up on the mountain trying to find a larger chunk of copper. :D

Lanny, thanks for the kind words, your thread was one of the first that I started reading, so much great info and awesome stories in it that it should be a book. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions