Needed Gear For Desert Detecting ?

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
For those of us who have not detected in the desert or chaparral.

What are your recommendations for useful gear BEFORE we go out and nugget shoot ?

I know in my area (San Bernardino County) There are Pacific Diamondback's, Sidewinder's & Mojave Green's, Mountain Lion's (in the foothills lower than normal because of the drought).

What other gear do you use that make the time spent outdoors more useful and make safer, productive, and fun ?

Feel free to tell us what works for you and why.

Besides myself, I think others will find this post very useful, as a lot of us do, we always forget something important. I am planning to have a container all packed with needed items in this container, so when I get the urge, I can grab it and go have a blast.

I want to thank everyone who adds info ahead of time for their help :) .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
For 1 or 2 day trips a good Ford F-150 4 wheeler with a shell is your best friend . Overnite stays and a gear hauler is a must and Fords do this well .

I have to sell my hopped up 02 Mustang GT, so I can get a desert cruiser. Last overnite I had,,, I was visited by a Mountain Lion. I was sleeping in my 66 Jeep Universal (CJ 5 ) when it passed by,,, sniffed my tires and moved on. I was heavily armed, but saw no reason to drop the cat :) Thanks for the info.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Zip, lots of good suggestions in the posts above. I tend to take
a much simpler approach, and a lot less stuff.

First rule: Pay attention to your surroundings. Don't be paranoid about it,
but watch where you step, look where you're going and if a long hike, look
back at your trail from time to time so you get an idea of what it looks
like for the hike back.

Yes, there are lots of rattlesnakes in the desert. If they're in your way,
encourage them to relocate, or just go around them. No sense killing
something that doesn't need to be killed.

Same goes for Cougar. If you're around rocky hills, the cats will stay
in the higher country during the day, and then come down and hunt the
flats at the base of the hills at night. The odds of a cougar encounter
are pretty low. If you happen to see one, DON'T RUN. If you run from
a cougar you just became a toy! Hold your ground and let the cougar know
in no uncertain terms that he/she is not welcome in the area.

Bring 3X the amount of water that you think you'll need. Same goes
for some food...carry enough to last you a couple extra days, just
in case. Same again with gasoline...make sure the tank is full when you
hit the dirt roads.

Don't sleep on the ground. I just put a sleeping bag in the back of the
truck. Truck is windproof, rainproof (canopy) and critter proof. If you have
a tent, then be sure it's snake proof before sleeping on the ground inside it,
as rattlers seek out warm places to curl up.

For me, a firearm is optional. If I do carry one it's not because of any 4-legged
critters, but on the chance a couple 2-legged snakes happen to cause issues.

Most importantly, have fun!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably many people looking for gold are drawn to arroyos. What is not commonly known by those that don't live in a desert is what happens in a flash flood. You can be looking at clear blue sky's and suddenly a wall of water is coming at you sounding like a freight train. That's because rain in the mountains comes down the arroyo very fast. Along with this is quick sand.
I don't know if a person can actually sink over their head but the more one struggles the deeper they go. A person gets stuck and held by suction. It happened to me once. It didn't help that the person with me was laughing their a$$ off.

How much water? I decided to look in my Army Survival Manual and see what they estimate. As you will be working, the amount needed goes up a lot depending how hard you work and how hot it is.
If your not active at temperatures below 100 degF drink one pint/hr. Above 100 degF one quart/hr
If moderately active drink 12 quarts/day at 100 degF If working hard it goes to 15 quarts/day.
I imagine a day might sunrise to sundown, it wasn't specified.
Don't depend on waiting to feel thirsty as it's a poor indicator and you wont be getting what you need.

Learn the symptoms of heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke. These can be very sneaky because people don't pay close enough attention to what their body is telling them.

Good luck and have an excellent adventure.

OP
OP
Z

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Diz and Hvack , Thank you for the info. My jeep held 2 jerry cans, one held gas, the other was plastic and held water. I parked it on high ground for two reasons ( easy to locate if I need to bug out and also flash flood protection.).

indianbullet

Greenie
Aug 11, 2015
Redding/Susanville Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4500
Nokta FORS CoRe
Whites Spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't see anyone mention a minimum of "2" spare tires. As well as a good plug kit and a can or 2 of that nasty fix a flat. No one likes to drive back into civilization on a rim.. Just my .02 worth..

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
I have been detecting and camping in the Nevada desert now for several yrs, I do not recommend a tent period. The desert winds that come and go most days/nites are just too much for a tent. I stay in a shell in back of my truck and its fine for even a 5 or 6 day trip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread