Ol rock from Quartszite

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got a little story here for you all. I like getting out of Cali every chance I can. Blood pressure drops and mind is at ease! My passion is detecting for gold.
The beginning of December went to Q for a week detecting. A couple days in, I was working top of a little wash. It had 'recently' been dry washed (both piles still there). I still detect these and work up the banks. Got a good signal from my ol' 4500 off the side bank. Drug my pick across to move some surface rocks and target was gone. One quartz rock sounded off, picked it up and there was gold showing in a couple of spots, not much, but gold. To finish this part of the story, I believe this was a throw rock when whom ever was dry washing. Several rocks were setting on the surface next to this washlet.
In the past, have taken a sledge hammer to some rocks which had gold in them. Not this one. Did 3 different specific gravity tests on it and got 3 different results, but all around 1oz or better. Decided to send it to a friend Steve of Naturalgoldjewelry. com and had him slab it. He's the gold master.
Enclosed some pics of progress so far to be made into hi quality hangers.

Lessons to be learned here-
1. If you are dry washing, always detect piles and area, before you leave
2.Before smashing a gold bearing rock consider all possibilities first

Attachments

• IMG_0837 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0837 (600 x 450).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 145
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 141
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 148
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 144
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 0

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are absolutely stunning. I don't live that far from Quartzsite, either.

Do you plan on selling those? Those could easily get you a few hundred, each. They're gorgeous!

chipbb03

Sep 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Thats a once in a lifetime find!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
shepcal

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A little bit more, the large one has 16g of gold in it

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Really REALLY nice Shep! I think your decision to have them slabbed was a very good one! Beautiful pieces.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got a little story here for you all. I like getting out of Cali every chance I can. Blood pressure drops and mind is at ease! My passion is detecting for gold.
The beginning of December went to Q for a week detecting. A couple days in, I was working top of a little wash. It had 'recently' been dry washed (both piles still there). I still detect these and work up the banks. Got a good signal from my ol' 4500 off the side bank. Drug my pick across to move some surface rocks and target was gone. One quartz rock sounded off, picked it up and there was gold showing in a couple of spots, not much, but gold. To finish this part of the story, I believe this was a throw rock when whom ever was dry washing. Several rocks were setting on the surface next to this washlet.
In the past, have taken a sledge hammer to some rocks which had gold in them. Not this one. Did 3 different specific gravity tests on it and got 3 different results, but all around 1oz or better. Decided to send it to a friend Steve of Naturalgoldjewelry. com and had him slab it. He's the gold master.
Enclosed some pics of progress so far to be made into hi quality hangers.

Lessons to be learned here-
1. If you are dry washing, always detect piles and area, before you leave
2.Before smashing a gold bearing rock consider all possibilities first

Nicely done Shep!

Thanks for posting the pictures, and thanks for the ideas as well. My prospecting buddy has some wonderful pieces like the one you have. I'll suggest to him he get some slabbed I think. If you'll PM me the particulars, I'll pass it on to him after I show him your incredible pictures as it will hopefully inspire him to do what you've done.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
shepcal

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, he can contact Steve at naturalgoldjewelry.com. Check his galley out! awesome imagination!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Other ideas from the Original 16 to 1 mine in Allegheny, Ca. Original Sixteen to One Mine, Inc. - Gold Sales This also gives you an idea as to pricing.

My parents lived in Nevada City in the late 1930's until the war shut the gold mines down. My Mom wore a ring with a gold cab from the area until she passed. Some of the gold wore down over the 50 some odd years but the ring was still beautiful.

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I have a question. I dig in southern California desert, and I find alot of quartz, and look inside, and I never find gold in quartz. What gives. Did find alot of quartz without gold? What's the ratio of gold bearing and not?

Brother and I drywashing with our Keene 140s part-time

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, he can contact Steve at naturalgoldjewelry.com. Check his galley out! awesome imagination!

Many thanks Shep.

All the best,

Lanny

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey I have a question. I dig in southern California desert, and I find alot of quartz, and look inside, and I never find gold in quartz. What gives. Did find alot of quartz without gold? What's the ratio of gold bearing and not?

Brother and I drywashing with our Keene 140s part-time

Not sure about the ratio but gold is one of the rarest elements on earth and silica (major component of quartz) is one of the most common.

Always a good practice to check quartz when you are metal detecting. Also check for visible gold when prospecting. You can see that there is visible gold in the unopened rock pictured above.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread