Gold Bug 2 Coil Depth Chart

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inaccurate as the ground conditions can vary depth by twice or even 4 times less and in some cases more. Air tests maybe because they prove nothing( on the coil),but in highly mineralized ground never as no 2 spots are ever alike. Operators level of experience is yet another factor to add to the stats along with ground wet/dry? microwave towers abound all over now hidden as trees, repeater stations and even the older base stations will impede your depth... John

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I never realized how much small gold gets missed by detectors until I saw this chart, even with the chart being highly variable as John pointed out a lot more small gold gets missed by detectors because of depth than I thought.

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read that the Gold Bug Pro has the same electronics, basically, as the GB2, with the exception of the different frequency. I know the GB2 has the edge on teeny stuff, but in what other ways would the above chart differ with the GBP, especially with the 5x10 elliptical?

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I have truly been amazed by some of the fly-poop pieces my GB2 with the 6.5" coil found at a couple inches down. Had a friend with a Lobo & he could get no signal with the 10" coil but the GB2 was clear.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait a second Steve IS a honest man, known of and contributed to his legal library in Alaska for many years ago. You just took a air test and presented it as a ground test which varies amazingly. Even the same size coils from differing mfgrs on the Gold Bug-GB2 and the new GBPro vary immensely. I have seen miracles done by coil swapping to after market coils from many different companies from OZ to Turkey so hold onto your hat as I'd never degrade Steve on this forum. John

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on John. Steve, along with yourself, is truly one of the best detector gold hunters around and also truly an expert in the testing and sharing of testing data with fellow prospector/miners.

Mike

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks John.

Late to the party so I do not know what the fuss was about. If it was the Gold Bug 2 coil chart from my website, it is a chart Gordon Zahara did for a Fisher article that was illustrating why small coils are better for small gold and big coils are better for big gold. Anyone reading anything else into it is missing the point.

OP
OP
Z

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I just put up the depth chart for the GB 2 and I said I hope it is ok with you if I put it up. this hoser john person post what he posted and I have no idea where all this came from. maybe he didn't eat his wheaties that morning ? I don't know. So I deleted the post.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread