Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Questions to help narrow down your choices:

1. Budget?
2. How tech-savvy are you? (i.e. easy to operate vs. learning curve) Do you have prior experience with other machines?
3. Is a heavier machine OK, or do you plan on marathon detecting sessions, in heavy brush or steep slopes?
4. Are there larger nuggets in your area, or will you be searching for mostly smaller, shallower pieces?

You've mentioned that mineralization can be a problem, so that generally means the higher-frequency machines are out. But other, experienced operators can manage the higher frequencies in challenging conditions, sometimes with smaller coils.

Hope this can help zero-in on the right choice for you and your conditions.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok , I'm going to stick my neck out here , and say there are a bunch of detectors that will find Gold . The main Gold specific detectors that are VLF , are Fisher Gold Bug and Gold Bug 2 , The Notka Fors Gold and Fors Gold Plus , and The Makro Gold racer . It really depends on who you talk too , and what they like . I suggest you do a lot of reading in this section , there are people like califoniagold ,hoser john , and a host of others in the know , that being said . Iv'e done a lot of research and am planning on the Makro Gold racer , as to my limited knowlege it is the only one available with wireless headphones [ which are not out yet ] . I also have the Xp Deus which is an all around machine with several frequencies too choose from .I hate being tethered to a machine . If I were you , I would try too use some of the different machines and see what suits you best . See if you can determine from others what frequencies work the best in your area . I will go out on a limb and say , stay away from Garrett machines , my family was a Garrett dealer years ago and I feel they are over priced and sub par . I would also buy the book , Detecting For Gold , it is a wealth of information on Gold detecting , and may help you deside on your machine . JMHO

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigauman

Mar 23, 2015
Did a lot of research and it was between the Fors Gold And the Gold Racer. Think I'm going with the Gold Racer thanks for the input.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey bigau. I used alot of vlf detectors. There is alot of good ones. But nowdays the nokta/ makro detectors are the best to choose from. Some of the best things is features and design and an awesome company to back up their detectors. A couple years ago I used nothing but my beloved goldbug pro. But there was places with bad mineralization that drove me crazy. Similar to when I owned a gb 2. But one feature I love on both the Fors gold plus ( original fors gold dont have this) and the Gold Racer is the isat adjustment. I can go right thru tough or changing mineralization. And the detectors threshold stays smooth. And you can really pick off those tiny pieces of gold. Its tough to ssy which is better between Fors plus and gold racer. I like both. I like gold racers design would be the only advantage between them. But the really good thing that you got going on is you live in El dorado county. I know hundreds of places to detect there and I never tried it. So good luck on whatever you get.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would say that the Whites GMT is also a good choice also. It's less expensive, and great DD coil selection including older model concentric coils that will work on it. Also, the GMT has had more than 5 generations of it's design, and is one of the most proven. The MXT, and the MXT Pro are direct offshoots of the GMT design.

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought the gold racer as well. im pretty new to the whole sport of detecting. I spent about 6 hrs this morning with it and was pretty impressed at how small the junk was that I found. im still trying to figure out all the setting and what is going to be the prime set up for small gold nuggets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions