Older Gold Detectors....

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now for the past year or so I haven't spent much time around here (in this forum) as I've been other places and its been fine only stopping by for a quick peek occasionally. Then I noticed a great thread on Goldmasters and found myself taking interest and having a good time in the discussion. Then a thought occurred to me that even though most discussions on other sites revolve around the newest gold detectors, my own machines are all 5-20 years old; TDI, GMT, GB2, GB Pro etc. Once more I haven't bought a new machine in several years for one simple fact; They still produce enough gold for me to where I can't justify selling it for half of what I paid.
Now everyone has their own "program" and way of looking at things but this is how I see it. Buy the most modern gold machine you can afford for what you plan on doing with it. If money is tight, the older gold detectors should be considered a cost effective option for most all around nugget shooting/prospecting needs. Plus whatever you pick up used, there's bound to be someone around here willing to get you going in the right direction.
+

Upvote 0

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like so many people said about Minelab and their $10,000 GPX. "They are pricing it too high. They won't sell." They seem to be doing alright last I checked. Not too well known companies that have a record of manufacturing fantasy devices (a'la' OKM and NOKTA) will NEVER take over companies like Minelab or White's. Could they get a jump on Garrett or First Texas? Maybe, if they get complacent.

I have noticed that in the metal detector world, many (not all) people want everything on every detector, but don't understand why it would cost more. Most people don't understand how long and how much research and development takes/costs. For companies like Minelab to stay on top, they have to continually develop new technologies (like Zero Voltage Transmission). Paying a team of Electrical and Mechanical Engineers to develop a new technology like that for several years is not cheap or easy.

Mike

Mike, I must admit the price tag of the GPZ was a bit of an eye opener and I for one would never pay out that kind of money for a detector because over here they charge like a wounded Bull for it 'at the time of it's release it was $12,600 USD or $17,775 AUD at £8500.00 due to the exchange rate back then, This is supposed to be a hobby after all said and done, and I have the machines that will find 95% of the gold out there and Just wouldn't buy despite of whether I had the money or not, But it is a very clever machine just the same, Even ML had a few issue's with it in the early days and a lot of folks sold them after only owning them for less than a month, But it is still very impressive,

john

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like so many people said about Minelab and their $10,000 GPX. "They are pricing it too high. They won't sell." They seem to be doing alright last I checked. Not too well known companies that have a record of manufacturing fantasy devices (a'la' OKM and NOKTA) will NEVER take over companies like Minelab or White's. Could they get a jump on Garrett or First Texas? Maybe, if they get complacent.

I have noticed that in the metal detector world, many (not all) people want everything on every detector, but don't understand why it would cost more. Most people don't understand how long and how much research and development takes/costs. For companies like Minelab to stay on top, they have to continually develop new technologies (like Zero Voltage Transmission). Paying a team of Electrical and Mechanical Engineers to develop a new technology like that for several years is not cheap or easy.

Mike

The GPZs and GPXs are selling with no problem, problem is keeping them in stock... With the gold rushes in Africa and South America they are selling fast....

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
John,

MOST is not about snobbery or fanboys. Mostly, its true. Older detectors just aren't able to handle the varying ground and atmospheric conditions like a newer model detector can. When something is analog, you would have to design something the size of a refrigerator that could handle all possible variations of ground and atmospheric conditions. By going digital, you can program for just about any situation with a few lines of code on a chip.

Mike

The GMT, Lobo Super Traq, GB Pro, and the GBII are digital and fully able to handle any conditions. I'll take proven track record over hype any day.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GMT, Lobo Super Traq, GB Pro, and the GBII are digital and fully able to handle any conditions. I'll take proven track record over hype any day.
Absolutely 110%, and all of those machines were designed by the same Engineer Dave Johnson, the man is a Wizard,

Non of these new machines are doing anything that the Lobo, GMT and the MXT and the GBII hasn't done 10 15 years ago, The MXT AP can see bits of less than 0.01 grams as can the Lobo, The GMT and the GBII can go below half that and more, These new machines are the Nissan's of the Detecting world and most of them are like old farm cats " All p*** and Wind".

In the UK the Lobo still has a big following, I have found that Whites MXT and the GMT are still two of the best machines ever made and have found more Gold than any other Machines in history, And the only come back from those who are Bored with them Is they are too heavy because they weigh 4.3 lbs (MXT) and 3.9 lbs for the GMT, I bet if they found a 10lb Nugget they would not be complaining about the weight then and would have no trouble carrying it home.

It seems like some prospectors are getting too limp wristed and are getting too Old, It's a rough world out in the bush, they are happy to swing an 8lb minelab but not a 4lb VLF, I guess a $10,000 dollar detector looks more fashionable than an 800 dollar Whites and the fact that you have to work your tail off to make it pay for it's self or the Devorce will follow soon after.

I never ceases to amaze me how many so called professional prospectors are so keen to turn their backs on the companies that gave them so much in their quest for more Gold and 10,000 dollars later and they are still finding the small stuff even after paying over 12 times the price for a machines has more faults then the Continental Drift,

No way Give me the machines that have a proven history thanks.

john

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
For anyone interested, the current issue of the ICMJ Prospecting and Mining Journal has a very good article on the evolution of detectors thru the years. THey were even kind enough to put it in the free section so even if you don't have a subscription you can still go to their site and read it. :thumbsup:

Detectors: Past, Present and Future - ICMJ's Prospecting and Mining Journal

SandomingoJim

Sep 8, 2016
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM 1000, Whites Goldmaster II, Tesoro Bandido II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If nugget shooting is your only prospecting game and you have a passion for it, then detector up grades are a constant must. This is mainly so because most of the well known nugget patches have been pounded. A new twist in technology can breath new life into plowed through ground and make it produce a bit more. Now if your only interest is going through sluice or drywasher cobbles, detecting stretches of exposed bedrock in dry creek beds or just swinging over desert pavement hoping to get lucky....there are many good machines going back over the last 20 years up to the task.
I know of a guy who found a 3 gram nugget last month near Quartzite just going through his drywasher tailings. His detector; an "original gold bug"

Found my first little nugget, a 3 grainer at a very well hunted area in Quartzsite back in 1982 or '83 with a Tesoro Eldorado. My first one was definitely the hardest. Those VLF's have sure turned up some nice gold. :icon_thumright:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
My first nugget was found in Alaska (2000) 280 miles north of Fairbanks and it was with my ole Gold Bug . I ended up selling it several years back because of being a F.O.G. and it was getting difficult to get out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread