coil questoins...

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can some one tell me how much harder a #9 bird shot that is really faint will hit with the 5" coil vs the 10"x5"? I thinking about ordering the smaller coil just don't want to waste my money. Im using a Gold Racer. I finally figured out how to tune it to where im finding super small trash down to the 8-12" range. im new to dirt fishing but this Gold racer has surpassed my expectations by miles and miles! Ive got a good set of head phones coming so that will help as well. I read the book about 4 times online before the detector got here and it helped a lot with being able to know how to tune it. took me about 4 hours to figure out how to "hear" it and tune. I figure as long as im finding those tiny BB's under rock and black sand I have to be on the right track. Any help would be great..

Upvote 0

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The small 5" coil does hit harder then the 10x5 on tiny gold or bb's. The 10x5 will definitely find them too. Especially with headphones. Also beings the 10x5 is slightly less sensitive to tiny gold you want to go slower so youll hear them. The 10x5 concentric coil does very well with tiny gold also if the mineralization is not too radical. I guess I can mention it now that the Nokta makro company has announced it on detectorprospector but there is a new 7 5 x 4" solid eliptical dd coil coming out very soon for Gold Racer. I will be testing mine this weekend at a tiny gold spot to see what it can do. Personally I would get the new eliptical 7.5 x 4" before I bought the 5" round. I dont think the 5" will find anything that the new one wont. I will post my field report and videos after this weekend. Good luck

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have the Racer, but can generally advise about coils. The elliptical coils tend to have the same depth and sensitivity as their round brothers. By way of example, a 10x5 will perform about the same as a round 5". The benefit is you can cover more ground in a swing because you have the 10" long. The downside is it is bit more difficult to get between rocks and shrubs, just because it is larger. On the whole, I prefer the elliptical and like the advice from Californiagold regarding the 7.5 x 4 vs the 5" round.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't have the Racer, but can generally advise about coils. The elliptical coils tend to have the same depth and sensitivity as their round brothers. By way of example, a 10x5 will perform about the same as a round 5". The benefit is you can cover more ground in a swing because you have the 10" long. The downside is it is bit more difficult to get between rocks and shrubs, just because it is larger. On the whole, I prefer the elliptical and like the advice from Californiagold regarding the 7.5 x 4 vs the 5" round.

Actually the elliptical coils are more sensitive than a round coil in the front and the back points, because the wires are closer together.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coils

Can some one tell me how much harder a #9 bird shot that is really faint will hit with the 5" coil vs the 10"x5"? I thinking about ordering the smaller coil just don't want to waste my money. Im using a Gold Racer. I finally figured out how to tune it to where im finding super small trash down to the 8-12" range. im new to dirt fishing but this Gold racer has surpassed my expectations by miles and miles! Ive got a good set of head phones coming so that will help as well. I read the book about 4 times online before the detector got here and it helped a lot with being able to know how to tune it. took me about 4 hours to figure out how to "hear" it and tune. I figure as long as im finding those tiny BB's under rock and black sand I have to be on the right track. Any help would be great..

Assuming you are talking about the Gold Racer.

The 5" does generate a stronger signal on smaller targets. Personally I would probably hold off on the 5" and wait for the reviews to come in on this new small ellipitical coil. I like being able to use the front of the coil to get in under the base of brush. For now, if you have an area that is producing very small nuggets, try turning the sensitivity down a little lower than usual (so it runs smoother), enable the high threshold tone mode and audio boost mode and see how that works for you.

OP
OP
D

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Assuming you are talking about the Gold Racer.

The 5" does generate a stronger signal on smaller targets. Personally I would probably hold off on the 5" and wait for the reviews to come in on this new small ellipitical coil. I like being able to use the front of the coil to get in under the base of brush. For now, if you have an area that is producing very small nuggets, try turning the sensitivity down a little lower than usual (so it runs smoother), enable the high threshold tone mode and audio boost mode and see how that works for you.

Since im new to this im still playing with the settings trying to fine tune them and learn what im hearing. My biggest question is the sensitivity setting how low can I go before I start to lose depth? I usually try to run it about 84-90 with the threshold around 28-35. I leave the tracking off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread