kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not saying there's no gold in the pieces. I'm saying that it's primarily a copper nugget.

I have a friend who has a copper mine and he sent me some raw copper nuggets. They have "some" amount of gold in them as well as other metals, but it's mostly copper. However, they're darker than pure copper. The colors of copper and gold nuggets are totally different. Personally, I find ALL of the nuggets amazing!! :thumbsup:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
First thing I ask is.....
1. What is the gold history of your area?
2. What is the VDI that your metal detector reads?
3. When all else fails, take it to a reputable dealer that can test it..... quit dreaming/guessing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying there's no gold in the pieces. I'm saying that it's primarily a copper nugget.

I have a friend who has a copper mine and he sent me some raw copper nuggets. They have "some" amount of gold in them as well as other metals, but it's mostly copper. However, they're darker than pure copper. The colors of copper and gold nuggets are totally different. Personally, I find ALL of the nuggets amazing!! :thumbsup:
agreed

OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll recheck the vdi on the small silver one tonight the medium chunks were like 88ish the huge one was a 99
First thing I ask is.....
1. What is the gold history of your area?
2. What is the VDI that your metal detector reads?
3. When all else fails, take it to a reputable dealer that can test it..... quit dreaming/guessing.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll recheck the vdi on the small silver one tonight the medium chunks were like 88ish the huge one was a 99
Those extremely high vdi readings are more like copper than gold... even large gold rarely gets above 60 vdi.
Though a $20 gold coin can hit 80. But that is a very uniform target whereas a nugget is not.

Very nice nuggets by the way..... all of them would have collectors value....:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those extremely high vdi readings are more like copper than gold... even large gold rarely gets above 60 vdi.
Though a $20 gold coin can hit 80. But that is a very uniform target whereas a nugget is not.

Very nice nuggets by the way..... all of them would have collectors value....:thumbsup:
heres the numbers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 137

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
heres the numbers
Could be close. What are the sizes of the nuggets?
I think at this point I would take them to a local jeweler or someone with local mineral knowledge.
I just can't say with only looking at the pictures... If they were in my hand I would be better able to identify them...
I am leaning more to the copper nugget ID though.

My address is.......:laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you checked Specific Gravity of the piece(s)? If/when you do, make sure to take note of the Specific Volume as well.

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a dot of gold in the first pic it's almost 11 grams but I don't know what it is

I'd say the green staining is a dead giveaway for some kinda copper on this one. Might be a silver/nickel/copper nugget, Mohawkite I believe it's called. Look it up.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I find copper nuggets and other bits detecting. I was cleaning this chunk and it looks very golden could it be some sort of gold compound. It holds with ten karat acid but slowly burns up any thoughts thanks for looking

Gold compounds are rare. Most are tellurides. Most do not show gold, except with magnification. It is possible to get gold crystals in telluride ores, but they are not common.

OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold compounds are rare. Most are tellurides. Most do not show gold, except with magnification. It is possible to get gold crystals in telluride ores, but they are not common.
Yeah they must be uncommon I couldn't find much online. Looks like I'm in a good area for finding nuggets just not gold thanks everyone for the comments and taking a look. If I find out anything I'll be sure to give an update.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread