Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more of a brassy yellow to me.
here's the other side when I found it looked like float copper except it was mostly black. I'll test this and some brass with the acid see if it's the same. Could be a blob of melted brass I didn't think about that

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    691.2 KB · Views: 155

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any chance it's mining slag? Were there any old fire pits around that area? Gold never corrodes so if it had some kinda black coating on it (unless it's 'black gold' with an iron manganese coating) I don't think that's what it is.
What's that small black nugget in the middle of your first photo? Looks kinda cool.

OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the small chunk at the same place. Yes I think I could be mining slag but I have found a low karat ring that was corroded. If it is mining slag could it contain gold?
Any chance it's mining slag? Were there any old fire pits around that area? Gold never corrodes so if it had some kinda black coating on it (unless it's 'black gold' with an iron manganese coating) I don't think that's what it is.
What's that small black nugget in the middle of your first photo? Looks kinda cool.

OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a dot of gold in the first pic it's almost 11 grams but I don't know what it is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 142
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always do the ole prospectors test that NEVER fails ! Send it to me and if you hear me screaming you know it is gold!:)

Do you think it's worth looking into and see if anyone can test lower karat than 10k gold?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a dot of gold in the first pic it's almost 11 grams but I don't know what it is

Nice looking specimen nugget what ever it is. Gold of that size is usually recognizable by heft and by color but in your case (not sure what it is) you might try a specific gravity test. specific gravity test for gold nuggets Note that the specific gravity of PURE gold is a little more than twice that of copper so if the test shows that the specific gravity is more than pure copper*.... then gold is an extreme possibility. You seem to be in an area with potential for remnant gold that could have been deposited by glaciation.

Good luck.

*Gold found in it's natural state is not pure so a natural nugget's specific gravity will be less than pure gold but still more than most any other element even in their pure state.

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The second pic in this post it looks a bit like a platinum nugget, it would be awesome if that's what it is but a long shot:) if it was that would be huge for a platinum nugget.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The glacier did come through the Wawa Ont. region, and there is both gold and platinum along with silver and copper. If it's brassy it could be electrum. (silver/gold alloy)

OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The glacier did come through the Wawa Ont. region, and there is both gold and platinum along with silver and copper. If it's brassy it could be electrum. (silver/gold alloy)
Nice so it is possible to find gold not in its pure form thanks for the info HH

OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The second pic in this post it looks a bit like a platinum nugget, it would be awesome if that's what it is but a long shot:) if it was that would be huge for a platinum nugget.
Seams heavy for its size I have a platinum test but I lost the like cars that tell me how the acid reacts to platinum

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice so it is possible to find gold not in its pure form thanks for the info HH
Not only is it possible, but that's the norm. Pure gold is unheard of until it has been refined.

In the wild, "natural" gold can be as pure as 22k or as diluted with other minerals to make it invisible without a strong microscope. Gold can be found in nature mixed with any of these: silver, mercury, lead, copper, or aluminum. It isn't uncommon to get mixtures containing three of these metals. ...Not sure about four. I think there have been some recorded findings, but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So does that big chunk look like something natural or the result of a fire or some other man made influence? Here's a pic of the small chunk after I lightly polished one side with a scrubby
Not only is it possible, but that's the norm. Pure gold is unheard of until it has been refined.

In the wild, "natural" gold can be as pure as 22k or as diluted with other minerals to make it invisible without a strong microscope. Gold can be found in nature mixed with any of these: silver, mercury, lead, copper, or aluminum. It isn't uncommon to get mixtures containing three of these metals. ...Not sure about four. I think there have been some recorded findings, but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaned this one bc I could see a spot of gold. Glad I did it looks loaded it's almost exactly one ounce. The big chunk could be the same sort of thing just all mixed together if it natural

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 117

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow. Shiny. ...Now it looks like any of several things.

Have you done a Specific Gravity test yet? What about hardness....is there a "chance" that could be lead?

Ah, I think maybe it's silver. In the link below is an image of a copper and silver nugget that was found in Keweenaw County, Michigan.
Silver: A native element, mineral, alloy, and byproduct

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The second set of new pics is copper colored - not gold.

OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its copper with gold mixed in to the right is copper. I tested the small one for silver it was a no go. And I tested the solid gold areas one the new one and it held to 14k acid.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if u can zoom in I'm not saying it's a solid gold nugget but from the looks of it a good % cold be gold I'll try cleaning it up more tomorrow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread