Your thoughts on using a Magnetic Locator to find Black Sand deposits??!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
As the title reads, I would like to know your thoughts on using a Magnetic Locator to find Black Sand deposits and thus Gold!!?? I recently came into possession of a fairly expensive ($899 New) and well used Pipehorn Magnetic Locator. The Ford Dealership I drive for, purchased two trucks at auction both of which had Weather Guard Side Mount Tool Boxes and Weather Guard Pack Rat Storage Boxes. The Dealership did not want the Tool and Storage boxes, so myself and the other driver (John) got them. The Pack Rat boxes had no keys and it took a while to get some made. However, when I finally got a key made and opened my' Pack Rat box, it contained the Pipehorn Magnetic Locator along with a few other items. Sadly, John's Pat Rack box was empty and did not even have any divider plates, so I let him take some nice gloves, a high dollar Phillips screw driver and a pack of divider plates from mine. The Locator that came in my' box not only works great but is extremely sensitive. I am thinking that this thing might be great to locate fairly deep Black Sand deposits which may just be in ancient, tertiary streams loaded with Gold and hoping others will chime in with the thoughts! Has anyone here on the forums ever used one of these to locate Black Sand deposits?

Thanks!

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's possible it would work. Might involve some heavy deep digging with little to a lot of reward in the end. Guess the only way to know would be to try it out and see.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It's possible it would work. Might involve some heavy deep digging with little to a lot of reward in the end. Guess the only way to know would be to try it out and see.

I guess if you get a signal in known Gold locations where there are no water lines, sewage lines, electrical lines, etc., then it would be highly likely that it would be Black Sand or other metal that will conduct to a magnet.

Frank

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
It works great until you get under a power line or in my case around the large aquaduct which totally wiped it out as the running water produces static electricity bigtime. But how often are you going to run into an aquaduct the size of the one that feeds a fair share of LA's water? Probably not too often so go for it.

Randy

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great treasure story with the locked box, so you are already ahead of the game. What you might have is all metal detector and it could be used to find gold, black sand, hot rocks, junk etc. I bet is goes crazy on ugly brown rocks (hot rocks). However, it might not be tuned to find really small stuff. I am only guessing, as I have no idea how well it will work for your purpose. Let us know how it works out.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if you get a signal in known Gold locations where there are no water lines, sewage lines, electrical lines, etc., then it would be highly likely that it would be Black Sand or other metal that will conduct to a magnet.

Frank

Possibly.

There's a lot of treasures awaiting to be discovered. I imagine many a miner buried a cache of nuggets and other personal items for safe keeping back in the day. I'm sure more than one forgot where it's at, got killed, died of a illness, or never got back to reclaim it in the end. I'm kind of wondering if it's better to search for what was lost than what's never been found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread