Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK I'm new at metal detecting.

Been a gold miner (dredging) in California.

Ready to try my hand looking for gold in Nevada using a new Garrett ATX.

Was thinking the Carlin and Battle Mountain/Eureka Trends but that seems to be fine gold only doable through leaching.

So now I'm looking where a lot of placer gold has been found in the Humboldt Range near Lovelock.

Any advice/thoughts on this adventure? Heading out in a couple weeks.

Looking to spend a week searching.

Upvote 0

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use to live in Reno, Talked to a guy who luck with a metal detector finding small nuggets around Blue mountain by Winnamucca ( Blue mountain is the big volcanic mountain just to the north of Winnamucca , you'll see it from the highway) I never got to explore the area before I moved. But it might be worth a try. He said he was doing the dry washes in the area. Good luck if you go.

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use to live in Reno, Talked to a guy who luck with a metal detector finding small nuggets around Blue mountain by Winnamucca ( Blue mountain is the big volcanic mountain just to the north of Winnamucca , you'll see it from the highway) I never got to explore the area before I moved. But it might be worth a try. He said he was doing the dry washes in the area. Good luck if you go.

Thanks!

That's what I'm thinking...

Dry washes and using a 6 ft breaker bar to move some rocks looking for the vein.

Try to get further back where perhaps it's been less explored with today's technology.

Are claims an issue as far as them being marked? I will stop by BLM for maps and will only hunt on BLM land so maybe I can stake a claim.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rail Dawg, you've an interesting adventure in front of you! On my adventures I 'try' to start out thinking about safety and then keeping that in mind all the time, of course my mind is prone to forgetting about that factor when I get busy with the pry bar AND that is exactly how I hurt both of my shoulders, hurt enough for surgery type of hurt! You've a lot of safety factors to consider for the environment you will be out in including but not limited to: snakes, scorpions, lizards, flash floods, Heat, Sun Light UV type, getting your vehicle unstuck, not getting caught by a boulder, being found if you need to be found and likely lots more stuff. Be safe out there so you do not end up needing surgery like the guy that's writing this note, OK.

Oh, on the other side of this you will have some interesting fun times even if its just watching the stars at night, enjoying the fresh air, not having a ton of noise around you (after you take off the headphones), simply enjoying a peaceful meal, etc.....63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Reno/Carson area for years. I like Moundhouse along the Carson River-exit 50 , right at Brunswick canyon(just prior to the hill east) , hang a left at the river and go downstream to rail road overpass. Lot of mercury. Rye Patch also produces. Found some decent gold in the Blackrock BUT got lost and could never find my way back. Great arrowheads in the area also if you follow the train tracks.John

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
John I'm listening and of course you're right about safety!

I have spent a great deal of time exploring in Nevada, Utah and Colorado many times far away from any paved road.

Always plan for the worst... like the truck breaking down or breaking my leg. Can survive a couple weeks for sure out there.

Listen you've given me a couple clues on where to search. That's appreciated!!

I love train tracks... been around trains my whole life (Rail Dawg lol).

You talking about searching around the railroad overpass?

At Rye Patch what do you recommend?

Not looking for your honey hole but if you guide me a bit I'll send you a share if I nail something nice.

PM if you want.

To you and all others... please steer me to the GOLD!! I'm heading out Nov. 8 from Texas.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rail Dawg,
I left Angleton very early this year, headed for Southern California (SoCal), and man that is a long drive, even further for you heading to Nevada! I was fortunate in that I had good friend with me to share the driving. I suspect you are totally prepared for this from your earlier comments so I will only add drive safe! Have fun...............63bkpkr

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rail Dawg,
I left Angleton very early this year, headed for Southern California (SoCal), and man that is a long drive, even further for you heading to Nevada! I was fortunate in that I had good friend with me to share the driving. I suspect you are totally prepared for this from your earlier comments so I will only add drive safe! Have fun...............63bkpkr

Hey thanks for that!

I have driven probably 15 different routes to California and Nevada over the years and you're right it's a long haul!

But I love the road. Sleep in the SUV take showers for $14 at the truck stops.

Going to haul my 4-wheeler with me on a trailer.

It's a wonderful free country we live in. No place like it anywhere.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey thanks for that!

I have driven probably 15 different routes to California and Nevada over the years and you're right it's a long haul!

But I love the road. Sleep in the SUV take showers for $14 at the truck stops.

Going to haul my 4-wheeler with me on a trailer.

It's a wonderful free country we live in. No place like it anywhere.

I'm in the Austin area if ever you want another prospector to tag along I know of some areas worth checking out in Calif besides I need to pop the cherry on this Nokta I just bought.
I'm not the type of person that needs a motel to sleep in just a couple of trees to hang the hammock on.
I spent 36 yrs in So Calif and explored just about every sq ft of public land between Big bear to the Greenhorns in Kern.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in the Austin area if ever you want another prospector to tag along I know of some areas worth checking out in Calif besides I need to pop the cherry on this Nokta I just bought.
I'm not the type of person that needs a motel to sleep in just a couple of trees to hang the hammock on.
I spent 36 yrs in So Calif and explored just about every sq ft of public land between Big bear to the Greenhorns in Kern.

Grumpie, I used to represent ETS-Lindgren, a company right there in Cedar Park.
Still have friends there (I think). Been there many times, and always enjoyed it.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grumpie, I used to represent ETS-Lindgren, a company right there in Cedar Park.
Still have friends there (I think). Been there many times, and always enjoyed it.

I'm guessing that's a relatively new business park must not have been to long ago. I'm just a couple miles west of there. But then again I'm just a couple of miles away from everything in Cedar Park it's just not that big of a city.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread