Help with planning a trip.

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to be taking my grandpa out to do some metal detecting for gold this spring. We are thinking either Arizona or Colorado just as the snow is melting off. We are wanting some public land that we can take the sxs and a tent and spend a week out there prospecting. He has a whites gmt and I am going to get a vlf of some kind before we go, right now I have a tek d4k and a Fisher F2. We will be traveling from SW Missouri so keep that in mind on the location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theKevin,
That will be a memorable adventure for both Grandson & Grandfather, what a superb gift for both of you! I'd suggest a second spare tire for the vehicle and trailer if you use a trailer. I was on a family outback vacation with wife and two little children and had two flats at the same time, it was an ugly situation that the man upstairs took care of for me but I learned from the experience to be prepared for unusual happenings with knowledge and equipment. Have a great time!.....................63bkpkr

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Me too gonna head to the rye patch. Never been but heard there are detectable nuggets in that neck of the woods. Good camping too.The desert is a beautiful place to be in the spring. Might be something to check out, maybe we'll see you there.
Location Northern Nevada

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are going to Arizona, there is very little "open land" not under claim that has gold, much less gold nuggets. If you wait until April, you'll be up to your knees in rattlesnakes as the temps rise into the high 80s during the day, and the black flies will be out. You will be a lot better off leaving your VLF metal detectors in the truck, and breaking out your recirculating sluice or drywasher if you really want to find some yellow. Look up a club in the area you want to visit - and join ahead of time so you can look at the claims they have and decide where you want to prospect. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread