hunting washes

Bulletboy

Feb 17, 2005
While exploring the local desert around the Chocolate MTS. here in the Imperial Valley, after the recent heavy rains, I saw a lot of the bedrock washes had pools. These pools are scoured out areas below drop offs. Has anyone spent any time working these pools? What interests me are the piles of sand and rock just beyond the pools where they deposit causing fairly large, deep mounds.
I went over a couple with my XT 18000 and found some conglomerate that went off and took those chunks home.
Has anyone tried spreading this material out with a lawn bow or hoe? I have a lawn bow set up with an aluminum plate attached on the off side for this now. Some pools are big enough to park a truck in and have pretty big piles of sand and rock. I figured there would be a couple oldtimers out there with some ideas.

Upvote 0
F

fbeal

What is a lawn bow?

Did you try to break up the conglomerate and pan it?

OP
OP
B

Bulletboy

Feb 17, 2005
A lawn bow is sometimes called a landscaping rake. It's that wide rake with short tines at a 90* angle to the handle, they are sometimes made of cast material.

The chunks of conglomerate will sit 'til I have time to work them out.

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
Bulletboy said:
A lawn bow is sometimes called a landscaping rake. It's that wide rake with short tines at a 90* angle to the handle, they are sometimes made of cast material.

The chunks of conglomerate will sit 'til I have time to work them out.
great that you found conglomerant but what about the gold any in there? ???

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey BB,

Were you using a PI or a Vlf? the VLF might be sounding off on hot rocks, and in some cases so can a PI, but it won't sound off on as many. I've found some nice gold in conglomerate--a bunch of guys thinks conglomerate is barren--it's not, well, not all of it. Crush it up and scan it and see if any of it's gold, then let us know if nuggets were hidden inside, or hot rocks.

Lanny

OP
OP
B

Bulletboy

Feb 17, 2005
I was using VLF, ML XT18000. The conglomerate I found were chunks broken off by the rains. Some are reddish and some are a sandy yellow color. I have them crushed in a 2 gal. bucket, about half full, but haven't panned them yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions