OP
OP
Nano

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not unheard of but rare . I think its BIG nuggets that are rare now
Thankyou. I found a biggish silver nugget and was wondering if that was a good thing or bad thing for the likelyhood of gold nuggets.I
thought it unlikely but I have no real idea. Thanks again. I have been dealing with "unlikely" most of my life so no change there

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your silver nugget is metallic there is a high likelihood that it contains some or even a lot of gold. In fact what you found may be electrum(?) which is gold naturally alloyed with a high percentage of silver. As to whether gold and silver nuggets can be found together google comstock lode. I did not see where they were finding gold and silver nuggets but it is a major silver deposit that was discovered by gold prospectors seeking the source of the gold they were finding but found instead a major silver deposit that also contained significant amounts of gold.

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, I work a creek for Gold and have found a couple of silver nuggets there and copper too. So far it's been like 10-12 pounds of copper to the pound of gold, to less than an ounce of silver. Silver from rice size to about an ounce. For me, at least, silver nuggets have been way more rare than Gold. An exiting find for sure, though probably not too valuable in terms of money. How big did you find? it could be a real collectors item. I would seriously hit that place hard if I were you.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a creek off Atlin Lake, outside of Atlin BC, where there was good placer gold (including nuggets) and when gold hunting, a prospector exposed a thick vein of silver crossing the bottom of the creek. No silver nuggets were found. So it is a good example of gold and silver in the same place. Gold nuggets are more common than silver nuggets.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou. I found a biggish silver nugget and was wondering if that was a good thing or bad thing for the likelyhood of gold nuggets.I
thought it unlikely but I have no real idea. Thanks again. I have been dealing with "unlikely" most of my life so no change there

Lets see a picture! Could be platinum?

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nuggets leach out of mines, most mines contain more than one mineral. Gold can be found in the same area as tungsten, lead, silver, copper and many more minerals. Can also be found in the same area as precious, semi-precious gems.
mine.jpg

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As others have said, the answer is yes. I know of a wash where we have found gold, silver, and copper nuggets. Not to mention some mystery metal that is yet to be determined. Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread