Precolumbian gold with a GPX 4000

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
there is an old thread of mine with info on detecting nuggets in mine wall faces in Costa Rica
this is about detecting a precolumbian nugget with a PI unit in CR on the backside of Corcovado Park, an area WELL known for its gold, several years ago
while hiking along the ridge/trail we went through an an indigenous house (from the surface rocks) which had a series of smaller holes dug by someone who 'wanted to get closer'
I wanted to detect not the hole itself (not gonna be digging that out!) but the soil thrown out around the hole, and after perhaps 2 or 3 holes got a big signal which turned out to be a 1.1 gm nugget perhaps 1 1/2 in. down
I passed it to my guide (who turned out to be the original digger!) and his eyes became huge as he said ´es oro´ followed by ´es del indios´, it had been culpeled

so it is sure, a GPX 4000 will detect biggish gold at least
on another site I recovered a shaped alu scraper, and a ring of keys for a modern Cat bulldozer (someone cried)
Bill

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting story Bill.

Thanks, and all the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread