What detector should I get?

Capricorn

May 21, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking about getting a detector to look for gold specifically in areas I would normally be prospecting. Out in the woods or around rivers and streams. I thinking the Gold Bug 2 would be a good choice? So many different models out there, I've had a hard time finding good info about what makes sense. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Jim

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are going into the water, I suggest a waterproof unit. The Goldbug II is a proven gold nugget magnet, but is not waterproof. Minelab has just released the Equinox 800, which is waterproof, finds gold down to sub-GRAIN pieces, and is under $900.00. If you can't go that high, look at the GB II; Whites GMT; Tesoro Lobo Super Traq:skullflag:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agree with Mr Solomon the other detector you might want to look at is the Minelab GM 1000 (Gold Monster) it is water proof and vary vary sensitive to small non ferrous targets comes with two coils like i stated it is rain proof you just cannot dunk the control unit but the coils can be dunked not knowing how experienced you are the GM 1000 is probably the easiest gold detector you will ever find it is pretty much a turn on and go detector

if you could tell us how experienced you are would be a big help also for others to make suggestions and how much you are looking to spend would be helpful also

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will second the GB2. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
C

Capricorn

May 21, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you all for your replies. I'll look into the machines you have mentioned. I don't have any detector experience, this would be new territory for me. But I am a quick learner and understand electronics and magnetism. I'd like to spend as least amount as possible. I'm a penny pincher and getting something like this for myself would be a splurge. I won't be using it every weekend, probably just a half dozen times a year maybe. But that said I recognize and appreciate getting quality products, and I don't want to cheap out on something that won't do what I want. 500ish might be OK, but 1000 would be hard to justify I think. I recently got a pin pointer to check my tailing piles, but I haven't really put it to the test yet.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be sure to talk to sponsors here about quality USED machines. You can save a ton of dough!:skullflag:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be sure to talk to sponsors here about quality USED machines. You can save a ton of dough!:skullflag:
Key words in Terry's post are SPONSORS HERE. Keep it in the family and they will treat you like family. ╦╦Ç

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capricorn, if you do not use a tool then it can not help you improve doing your task. Any detector must be used to learn it and prospecting machines will find gold IF the user puts the coil over the gold, its gotta be there to have a chance of finding it. All of this takes time to gain the experience. One year I found a spot in the sierras that had gold, I was panning, moving rocks and panning. Panning is literally a pain in the back! Then I had a thought, "if I use my detector to check each bucket of raw sample I might be able to save myself a lot of work. If the detector did not beep then I did not pan the sample, every sample that the detector beeped at had gold in it. I came out with a 1/4 oz of lovely gold. By the way as you likely already understand it is a lot of work to go prospecting. Best of luck with your choices and enjoy being out there..................63bkpkr

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Capricorn

May 21, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Capricorn, if you do not use a tool then it can not help you improve doing your task. Any detector must be used to learn it and prospecting machines will find gold IF the user puts the coil over the gold, its gotta be there to have a chance of finding it. All of this takes time to gain the experience. One year I found a spot in the sierras that had gold, I was panning, moving rocks and panning. Panning is literally a pain in the back! Then I had a thought, "if I use my detector to check each bucket of raw sample I might be able to save myself a lot of work. If the detector did not beep then I did not pan the sample, every sample that the detector beeped at had gold in it. I came out with a 1/4 oz of lovely gold. By the way as you likely already understand it is a lot of work to go prospecting. Best of luck with your choices and enjoy being out there..................63bkpkr

Indeed. Thanks for the thoughts and advice.

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Capricorn the people replying to this thread have decades of experience, far more than I, and you are doing the right thing asking them for their opinion. I wish I would have done that prior to buying my first detector. Prior to purchasing my second detector I spoke with successful gold detectorists from my area since we're working the same type ground and I learned a great deal from them. Again I wish I would have done that prior to getting that first machine. Only one more thing to add: buy once, cry once. I'm not saying go out and buy a GPZ or GPX, I'm like you in that I'm a penny pincher, but I am so happy with my second purchase I really wish I would have spent the money and got it first.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Question Capricorn, how do you find the sponsors? One way is to go to the main Tnet page, on the far right hand side is a column of various places and things. Scroll down on that and you will see at least some of the sponsors. Also there is an advanced search option at the top of the Tnet header on the right, if you click on it you can ask the operators of Tnet questions about the site.

There are a number of good prospecting machines out there that can be somewhat matched to the Geographical area your are in as well as the type of soil you are working in and what you are looking for AND IF you will be working in water. If you will be working in water a lot then your machine should be water proofed, if you will be working in water only a small amount of time to a very small amount of time then you must weigh out what are the chances of your falling into the water and dunking the detector as once its dunked its likely it will not work again.

It takes some research to find what Might Be The Best Machine For You, when one is starting out they do not know what to look for or what they Really need. Once you have a machine then Practice with it so you learn how to use it. These machines have a turn on and use function but they can do so much more When the Owner of the Machine has learned how to adjust the settings to suit the specific needs of that owner.

The adjustments make the machine specific to the ground you are over for the Mineral/Object you are searching for and yes it is somewhat of a pain in the butt to have to learn this stuff but IF you want the thrill of a life time then put in the time as otherwise your experience will be greatly diminished. Without putting in the time you might even hate your machine. Again, the best of success to you in your endeavors, continue to ask questions here and please continue to post your results and please include pictures as we all Drool at the pictures.............63bkpkr :hello:

191_9175.JPG 182_8222.JPG

182_8294.JPG 181_8170.JPG

183_8326.JPG 183_8341.JPG

180_8056.JPG 180_8054.JPG

At times the adventure of being "OUT THERE" is worth more than finding anything else. Then again finding something like gold makes it worth being out there.

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Question Capricorn, how do you find the sponsors? One way is to go to the main Tnet page, on the far right hand side is a column of various places and things. Scroll down on that and you will see at least some of the sponsors. Also there is an advanced search option at the top of the Tnet header on the right, if you click on it you can ask the operators of Tnet questions about the site.

There are a number of good prospecting machines out there that can be somewhat matched to the Geographical area your are in as well as the type of soil you are working in and what you are looking for AND IF you will be working in water. If you will be working in water a lot then your machine should be water proofed, if you will be working in water only a small amount of time to a very small amount of time then you must weigh out what are the chances of your falling into the water and dunking the detector as once its dunked its likely it will not work again.

It takes some research to find what Might Be The Best Machine For You, when one is starting out they do not know what to look for or what they Really need. Once you have a machine then Practice with it so you learn how to use it. These machines have a turn on and use function but they can do so much more When the Owner of the Machine has learned how to adjust the settings to suit the specific needs of that owner.

The adjustments make the machine specific to the ground you are over for the Mineral/Object you are searching for and yes it is somewhat of a pain in the butt to have to learn this stuff but IF you want the thrill of a life time then put in the time as otherwise your experience will be greatly diminished. Without putting in the time you might even hate your machine. Again, the best of success to you in your endeavors, continue to ask questions here and please continue to post your results and please include pictures as we all Drool at the pictures.............63bkpkr :hello:

View attachment 1626833 View attachment 1626834

View attachment 1626835 View attachment 1626836

View attachment 1626837 View attachment 1626838

View attachment 1626839 View attachment 1626840

At times the adventure of being "OUT THERE" is worth more than finding anything else. Then again finding something like gold makes it worth being out there.

Amen to that for me it is the thrill of the hunt and the adventure I do not care if I find anything but when you do find something it makes the adventure even better the real point is just have fun with it and you will enjoy the hunt even more do not set your expectations so high that they are UN reachable

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just get a Gold Monster..........trust me.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard Prospector, interesting suggestion, any examples of reasons why, pictures maybe?.................63bkpkr

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard Prospector, interesting suggestion, any examples of reasons why, pictures maybe?.................63bkpkr

check my season totals post below...… all from tailings and all with the Monster.

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
question what detector with vdi is more accurate in finding 1 grain targets ??? whats more important coil size or freq in getting accurate vdi readings on minerals ??

OP
OP
C

Capricorn

May 21, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How does the Garrett AT Gold waterproof detector compare to the GB2? Anyone familiar with the waterproof AT Gold? Minelab's Goldmonster does look nice too..

Thanks!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread