Silver?

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes it is and welcome to TreasureNet from San Antonio, TX!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldfynger - check out some of Jim Hemmingway's posts here on Tnet, he hunt's for silver up Canada way, Hey.....................63bkpkr

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also detect for silver in Ontario, Canada. Metal detecting is an effective way to find silver ore and nuggets. I have a few videos on Youtube about some of my experiences (meMiner). Good luck with your adventure.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone have any success detecting for raw Silver?
Is Silver something worth seeking with a metal detector?

Hi Goldfynger… we’ve had some success hunting native silver up here in northeastern Ontario. From discussions with other hobbyists over the years, apparently there are a number of areas around the continent that produced detectable native silver.

Reviewing websites with native silver samples for sale, it would seem that specimen value has little direct relationship to bullion value. Attractive dendritic silver or any structurally appealing silver in a light-hued calcite matrix is highly prized by collectors, and therefore quite valuable. Moreover, there is a ready market for slabs of very ordinary, non-descript silver and mixed ore samples containing small amounts of silver.

It should go without saying that we only post photos of attractive / photogenic specimens, and readers don’t see the excessive quantities of rusty iron and modern day trash that we detect and usually must dig for one reason or another. Such trash comprises the bulk of our metal detecting recoveries and it is tedious hard work to remove it.

Our silver producing areas in Ontario have seen intensive detecting pressure for some 40+ years. Much of the detectable surface material has long since been removed. For the casual hobbyist, specimen-grade silver is much more difficult to find nowadays. We frequently resort to removing surface material, for example raking productive sites, sinking exploratory testholes, and trenching where indications look promising. It’s a lot of work that often produces no worthwhile results, but these tiresome techniques do account for much of our success in this area.

Hope this information helps to answer your questions and provide a quick overview of what is involved with successful silver recovery. Below are some nice examples of more commonly found small silver that we’ve detected over the years using either ground-balancing PI or suitable prospecting-capable VLF metal detectors………………. Jim.

20161129_150221.jpg

20180129_170556.jpg

OP
OP
G

Goldfynger

Greenie
Sep 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Jim. Don't think I'll come to Canada though.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I saw the title " Silver ? " I thought I would refer you to Jim ... ( the silver master ) .

Then I saw he had already replied . When Jim is telling you about finding silver ................
You should listen .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread