Detecting gold nuggets in europe ?

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

In Australia, if you know where to search, you can find gold nuggets with your metal detector. But for me, it's too much effort to get to australia and search so i want to search in europe.

How's the situation in europe ? I can't seem to find any good info on locations where gold nuggets have been previously found with metal detectors.

I live in central europe, so after some research i came to the result that the carpat mountains in romania (Rosia Montana) seem to be one of the biggest gold deposit in europe. Finland also seems to have gold.

Has anyone ever been in romania (or other european locations) using a metal detector to find gold ? I mean places where you can potentially find decent sized nuggets, like in australia, if that's possible at all in europe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
his first "answers"

"do some research"

"I googled it btw"

"the problem you have is you need to forget gold nuggets..."

Yes I am pretty brash sometimes...probably why I don't get many likes. I also go out of my way to not help people:laughing9:

I guess I too should go on the campaign to call the op a troll. Since trying to expand what little info he could find on his own is out of the question.
The basement did not send their best to greet this guy. I showed up just in time.:occasion14:

Google it...why didn't i think of that? oh yea, I use Bing. My bad.

How were we to know he expected a treasure map, research is easy, i simply stated he was not looking hard enough if he was at all, he replied he already looked at that site, what more could he want? A treasure map?

OP
OP
M

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No.

Someone who says: Yes, i've found nuggets in europe. And has an idea how to do it. In Australia people can tell you approximately where there are nuggets and where not.

That's the kind of info i am missing in europe.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps we have been doing this for awhile and know the in's and out's to some degree, all i can suggest is youtube video's and use your best judgement.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have uwharrie national forest near me which we can pan for gold at, it is near a gold mine called reed's gold mine, also in the charlotte area there are a lot of gold mines. Gold should be found in the area you are panning or detecting at.

OP
OP
M

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some suggested looking for coins.

I looked in the law situation where i live and it is illegal to search for "archelogical" things with a metal detector. Whatever that means, i could always say "no i'm just looking for something else". Then it is illegal to dig a hole because you break the "ground structure". And then it would also be illegal to keep anything, because everything out of the ground belongs to the state. If you walk around here with a metal detector, people will call the police and call you a thief. It's totally crazy. That's the image archeologists and the media created where i live.

So much for coins.

And since there aren't any nuggets where i live i mainly concentrate on gold in nugget form, hopefully in countries that aren't restricting metal detector searching that much.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I can't tell you anything about Europe. I'm in Arizona, USA. However I'm sure what we tell people here can also apply. 1st of all you start trying to find gold where gold has been found before. So research areas where gold has been mined during past history. Here in USA we have mine related agencies that keep records and document what came out of old mines and such. Some mines had placer deposits associated with the load deposits and some don't.

Check history books and even old newspaper articles if you can't find mine history otherwise. Obviously relics get more attention in Europe especially with some of the hoards that have been found with metal detectors over the years, and the potential of more to be discovered because of how long Europe has been populated. There has to be old mines and there is likely to be some kind of documentation of where and what was mined. Our history in the USA only goes back a couple hundred years as far as mining is concerned for the most part. In Europe it probably goes back well over 1,000 years so you might have to get creative with your research.

Other concerns are obviously legal issues. We have public lands in the western USA that we can prospect on. Private property requires permission from property owners especially in eastern states. I don't know what property issues you have in Europe but I'm sure since most hoards are found on private property you will have the same issues with permission metal detecting for gold.

Check geological reports for areas you think might have some gold. Search for ways to determine property ownership. Research local laws for metal detecting. If you can discover what kind of geology produced gold historically, then that gives you a target for what kind of geology to look for. There has to be info some place about gold and old mines and geology. Try colleges as they teach geology and other related subjects so people have had to do research in this field. Also other types of mines like silver and copper produced gold as a by-product.

Remember that there has to be old mines that are lost completely because of time. Anybody could get lucky and stumble into all kinds of old stuff in the middle of the wilderness areas in the world. Research and knowledge are your friends. The more you know about gold and minerals in Europe, the better your chance will be to find it.

It's no different than the USA or Australia. We find gold because of the old timers that came before us. Sooooo, geology...history....documentation.....research, lots and lots and lots of research. I hope some of this helps and wish you good luck in searching for the elusive golden nuggets. Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread