Will a Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro Doube D 12" Coil pick up on Gold Nuggets?

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
I dunno, why do I not see a lot of old guys metal detecting??
well see. this is the reality of it. to find gold. u have to dig all pull tab foil and pop top readings. i dig hundreds of pull tabs. swearing and cussing at the people who would do that ? i can drink a can of beer or soda not having to do that. so i finally came to this conclusion ? people that do that are sexually frustrated. keep this in mind. as u go about. it will offer u some comfort. and thats why u dont see old geezers out metal detecting. its just too darn much work to find gold. i wonder where all the hot lookin sexually frustrated chicks are in my area ? hope this helps ?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly that's a price tag! Have you found enough gold to pay for it? Looks like that is the real deal and is worth it if it pays for itself and then some. My $400 platinum pro doesn't even touch the playing field of this detector!

Several times.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been prospecting for twenty years plus. Very seriously the last twelve or so.

I find gold with my SDC that my gold bug 2 does not hear. I've checked. Had both detectors working waste piles for comparison. As well as on in situ good sounding targets. SDC has inches on small stuff.

I find gold people have swept right over. I find gold in spots I have hit with vlf previously.

My time is spread pretty evenly between detecting and sniping/sluicing.

The main reason I get good gold is finding good ground. Then it is just a matter of the right tools for the job.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been prospecting for twenty years plus. Very seriously the last twelve or so.

I find gold with my SDC that my gold bug 2 does not hear. I've checked. Had both detectors working waste piles for comparison. As well as on in situ good sounding targets. SDC has inches on small stuff.

I find gold people have swept right over. I find gold in spots I have hit with vlf previously.

The main reason I get good gold is finding good ground. Then it is just a matter of the right tools for the job.

Thank you.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find gold in spots I have hit with vlf previously.

and I find gold that's been hit with PI's previously with my vlf….. Nobody gets it all no matter PI or vlf…...

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for your very helpful responses, you all are very knowledgeable. I feel that I need to explain my ambitions a little further so you guys can help me make the right investment.

I am taking a sabbatical from work over the summer to prospect for gold in Montana, among other outdoor activities. The purpose of this trip is to a) find gold and b) create content for my website and youtube channel. I will post the URL for my website, if its ok with admin.

Right now, I am working in the oilfields in North Dakota (and freezing my ass off) saving up money for this expedition. I am also saving for a gold metal detector. I make a lot of money and can splurge, but I want to be smart about it.

Note that I am 5'1" 130 so I don't know how much metal detector I can handle. lol. Even my platinum pro is too long for my short arms and I need to modify it!

So now that I explained a little further, I will gladly take some more suggestions :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I am really interested in this detector and am inspired by your experience with it. I am concerned that it looks big heavy and bulky, it might be too much detector for me to handle. Esp since I am going in with pretty much no experience. But at the same time, I don't want to do myself a disservice of passing over gold since I am investing so much into this expedition. Do you think I could handle it?

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might re-read my post slowly.....I'm trying to let her know she DOESN'T need a spendy PI machine to start out with, baby steps. In defense of a PI machine....they do go deeper than a vlf and quiet down hot rocks... if you decide that's what you must have then that's the individuals decision?

I tried a PI machine (gpx5000) and hated it.....no discrimination, weighed a ton, too many cords getting hung up in the brush, hated the harness, hated wearing headphones, and dug more deep trash than I cared to dig. Sold it as it took the fun outta things FOR ME.

Not sure what my experience has to do with my comment, or yours, as I stated...JMO? But if you need to know, been tecting for 28yrs, 2 short seasons now for nuggets. Using a light weight vlf I have fun and find a few, and that's what it's about for myself.....

I am drooling over your nuggets! :laughing9:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your very helpful responses, you all are very knowledgeable. I feel that I need to explain my ambitions a little further so you guys can help me make the right investment.

I am taking a sabbatical from work over the summer to prospect for gold in Montana, among other outdoor activities. The purpose of this trip is to a) find gold and b) create content for my website and youtube channel. I will post the URL for my website, if its ok with admin.

Right now, I am working in the oilfields in North Dakota (and freezing my ass off) saving up money for this expedition. I am also saving for a gold metal detector. I make a lot of money and can splurge, but I want to be smart about it.

Note that I am 5'1" 130 so I don't know how much metal detector I can handle. lol. Even my platinum pro is too long for my short arms and I need to modify it!

So now that I explained a little further, I will gladly take some more suggestions :icon_thumleft:

A Minelab Gold Monster 1000 (Same as oneguy uses) would be my suggestion. Lite weight, affordable, easy to operate, has good depth even on the tiny pieces. length is adjustable from 54.4 inches down to 37.2 inches and it comes with two different size coils.

Of course you could spend more money for a more advanced model with a steep learning curve and be able to detect harder to hear targets, but as has been posted above, good Gold bearing ground is the key to success. That and having a detector you can reliably operate.

If there is a metal detector/prospecting store available, you may want to compare models in person.

GG~

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given what you have told us, I would definitely purchase a dedicated gold detector.
If your waiting on finding only the big nuggets, you will quickly lose interest.

You kind of need the little pieces to keep you going AND more importantly to pick up on the indicators that the area is a spot you need to slow down on and hammer. Raking, rolling rocks out of the way..clearing branches..getting where other people haven't.

I'd suggest buying it early and heading out somewhere with the intention of finding bullets...maybe musket balls?
If you can routinely find .22 bullets and tiny fragments of bullets, you will be on track to being able to find those little pieces of gold.

I'd also suggest hooking up with someone experienced in detecting nuggets to help get you started if that's possible. It's really a better idea to have a partner with you when you are heading out in the remote places that we typically hunt for gold.

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Minelab Gold Monster 1000 (Same as oneguy uses) would be my suggestion. Lite weight, affordable, easy to operate, has good depth even on the tiny pieces. length is adjustable from 54.4 inches down to 37.2 inches and it comes with two different size coils.

Of course you could spend more money for a more advanced model with a steep learning curve and be able to detect harder to hear targets, but as has been posted above, good Gold bearing ground is the key to success. That and having a detector you can reliably operate.

If there is a metal detector/prospecting store available, you may want to compare models in person.

GG~

I quickly checked out the minelab 1000 and it looks like it could be a good fit at a reasonable price too. I am going to explore it more. Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Given what you have told us, I would definitely purchase a dedicated gold detector.
If your waiting on finding only the big nuggets, you will quickly lose interest.

You kind of need the little pieces to keep you going AND more importantly to pick up on the indicators that the area is a spot you need to slow down on and hammer. Raking, rolling rocks out of the way..clearing branches..getting where other people haven't.

I'd suggest buying it early and heading out somewhere with the intention of finding bullets...maybe musket balls?
If you can routinely find .22 bullets and tiny fragments of bullets, you will be on track to being able to find those little pieces of gold.

I'd also suggest hooking up with someone experienced in detecting nuggets to help get you started if that's possible. It's really a better idea to have a partner with you when you are heading out in the remote places that we typically hunt for gold.

Big nuggets would be great but I think getting the little ones are tantamount to success like you said.

There are some battlefields out here in ND that may have some relics, possibly musket balls? not sure if I would be allowed to metal detect out there. Plenty of gun shooters around here so I am sure I can find shells no problem.

Not to mention its around 0 most the time. Lol. But the 60 hr work weeks don't really condone for much time prospecting. That will all change this summer!

Good advice on finding bullets and fragments. I will keep that in mind.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currently using a Makro Gold Racer.
It will definitely pick up on the small gold.
What I like about it is the fact that it doubles well as a relic/coin detector with discrimination.

I'd probably look at the Makro Gold Kruzer.
It's likely got the same features, but is water resistant and rechargeable.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on

in regard to freezing ur ass off. it dont sound like u have to much to freeze off. be sure to retain some left to sit on. good luck on both ur endeavors. (*_*) and be sure to come back and tell some of ur stories. i like good stories but i like pictures better

DacoIdon

Jan 7, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to metal detecting but I bought an equinox 800 and the 6-inch coil. I wanted a detector I could pick up small gold but I could also detect parks and filled with. A bit of a learning curve but it's an awesome detector.

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm currently using a Makro Gold Racer.
It will definitely pick up on the small gold.
What I like about it is the fact that it doubles well as a relic/coin detector with discrimination.

I'd probably look at the Makro Gold Kruzer.
It's likely got the same features, but is water resistant and rechargeable.

That sounds like a good detector, I will check it out.

I am also hoping to find relics too as Montana had a lot of activity in the late 1800s from the gold rush days.

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to metal detecting but I bought an equinox 800 and the 6-inch coil. I wanted a detector I could pick up small gold but I could also detect parks and filled with. A bit of a learning curve but it's an awesome detector.

Have you had any luck finding anything with it yet?

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might re-read my post slowly.....I'm trying to let her know she DOESN'T need a spendy PI machine to start out with, baby steps. In defense of a PI machine....they do go deeper than a vlf and quiet down hot rocks... if you decide that's what you must have then that's the individuals decision?

I tried a PI machine (gpx5000) and hated it.....no discrimination, weighed a ton, too many cords getting hung up in the brush, hated the harness, hated wearing headphones, and dug more deep trash than I cared to dig. Sold it as it took the fun outta things FOR ME.

Not sure what my experience has to do with my comment, or yours, as I stated...JMO? But if you need to know, been tecting for 28yrs, 2 short seasons now for nuggets. Using a light weight vlf I have fun and find a few, and that's what it's about for myself.....

View attachment 1786794
View attachment 1786793

I need to come to Montana and follow you oneguy. yours is huge compared to what I find here. Congrats

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and I find gold that's been hit with PI's previously with my vlf….. Nobody gets it all no matter PI or vlf…...

you won't find much after an sdc with an experienced user has hit that ground.

The only thing a vlf will hit is going to be super tiny..

No vlf can compare to its sweetspot of small gold within 6 inches.

it finds ferrous fly poop so small that you have to run a magnet under the scoop to find whats making the noise.

Within three to six inches or so it will find stuff no vlf will hit on.

If you ever get a chance to check one out I recommend it.

flypoops within an inch just aren't the bread and butter.

I can hit a two to three grain piece at two to three inches...that is a gold slaying machine

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really interested in this detector and am inspired by your experience with it. I am concerned that it looks big heavy and bulky, it might be too much detector for me to handle. Esp since I am going in with pretty much no experience. But at the same time, I don't want to do myself a disservice of passing over gold since I am investing so much into this expedition. Do you think I could handle it?

What is it about 2300cc... not too big of a motor. you'll probably be ok. It is adjustable for height.
chunks.jpg simple to use

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions