Will a Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro Doube D 12" Coil pick up on Gold Nuggets?

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is it about 2300cc... not too big of a motor. you'll probably be ok. It is adjustable for height.
View attachment 1788055 simple to use

Cool. I am seriously considering this machine. I will let you know what I end up with, I have a few months to go before I make the final decision.

I could also become a dealer and offer their products on my website, and get the wholesale price!

TY and nice gold!

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
You might find someone nearby that would be willing to let you swing your detector over some nuggets.
Do a little testing?

and if you do ? be sure to bring some pull tabs pop tops and some aluminum foil . i guaranty you will be astounded how closely they relate to gold. and you will say darn if nomad wasnt right. then you'll understand why the old geezers dont bother anymore. keep me posted K

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you won't find much after an sdc

If you ever get a chance to check one out I recommend it.

GW....I did actually as I liked the smaller coil but then I found no coil options (I can live with that tho) and then I seen the specs on weight and that killed it for me. I did not actually use an sdc. I'm old, tired, 1 heart attack, months of chemo, heavy smoker, and after the chemo just don't have the balls to lug around another boat anchor while trying to have fun and enjoy my retirement. Where I hunt is usually between steep and steeper, brushy, and loaded with blowdown. The lightweight Monster seems to fit my needs (fun with finding a few) and extremely simple to use imo. I think it's a great machine especially for someone starting out? Don't really want to get into a machine debate but will stick by my statement about finding gold PI's missed and also your vice-versa.....

good luck to you and also Goldchick in whatever she decides!!!!!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you won't find much after an sdc with an experienced user has hit that ground.

The only thing a vlf will hit is going to be super tiny..

No vlf can compare to its sweetspot of small gold within 6 inches.

it finds ferrous fly poop so small that you have to run a magnet under the scoop to find whats making the noise.

Within three to six inches or so it will find stuff no vlf will hit on.

If you ever get a chance to check one out I recommend it.

flypoops within an inch just aren't the bread and butter.

I can hit a two to three grain piece at two to three inches...that is a gold slaying machine

Erosion - freeze/thaw - gaps in swing coverage - burrowing animals - logs,rocks,brush,heavy grass...lack of expert operators...lots of reasons there could be gold left behind. Even big pieces.

I would like to try one out at some point before thinking about buying.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and if you do ? be sure to bring some pull tabs pop tops and some aluminum foil . i guaranty you will be astounded how closely they relate to gold. and you will say darn if nomad wasnt right. then you'll understand why the old geezers dont bother anymore. keep me posted K

Location Location Location.
I don't detect where there are pull tabs and tin foil.
It's been a year since I've found a clad coin! Think about that for a minute.

Many of the places I detect have had very few people visiting in the last 50 years.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm not the first human to set foot on certain pieces of ground..that's a weird thing to think about. What are the chances?? Montana probably has lots of places like that..be it logging camps, RR camps, gold camps...homesteads...

Anyway - my grandparents detected until they were too frail to hold up those heavy whites plate steel box detectors.
My dad is..72 I think and detecting several times a week. I don't know if you consider that old or not?

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still young at age 70, hunt in all metal mode and have no trouble digging all targets while using my Whites GMT with the steel plate box. :headbang:
Lots of younger folks cant keep up with me or find as much treasure. :laughing7:

Was out nugget shooting today, hiked over 8 miles and dug more than a hundred targets, not one was a gold nugget. :tongue3:
Going out again tomorrow looking for that monster nugget that got away today.
Of course I am going to a better location tomorrow. :icon_thumleft:

1l9moo.jpg

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

My target locations are so remote in Montana that I don't think there will be much for human trash, except maybe for the gold rush miners, but they stuck more to the rivers. I am looking at tertiary riverbeds and crevicing.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Location Location Location.
I don't detect where there are pull tabs and tin foil.
It's been a year since I've found a clad coin! Think about that for a minute.

Many of the places I detect have had very few people visiting in the last 50 years.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm not the first human to set foot on certain pieces of ground..that's a weird thing to think about. What are the chances?? Montana probably has lots of places like that..be it logging camps, RR camps, gold camps...homesteads...

Anyway - my grandparents detected until they were too frail to hold up those heavy whites plate steel box detectors.
My dad is..72 I think and detecting several times a week. I don't know if you consider that old or not?

hell 72 thats a spring chicken. i'm 85 gonna be 90 shortly. cant member whens the last time i metal detected. some people have all the luck. speakin of luck i havnt got lucky since Apollo 14 landed on the moon. yeah so lookin forward to Apollo 15 ?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hell 72 thats a spring chicken. i'm 85 gonna be 90 shortly. cant member whens the last time i metal detected. some people have all the luck. speakin of luck i havnt got lucky since Apollo 14 landed on the moon. yeah so lookin forward to Apollo 15 ?

Godspeed to you!

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
and I find gold that's been hit with PI's previously with my vlf….. Nobody gets it all no matter PI or vlf…...

well I went out today to a place I have only been to 1 time prior. Stony gulch to be exact. I have only been up that gulch one time prior and found a half dozen pieces that equaled 1.8 grams. today I hunted hard. Not a single target was detected. Now given I stayed in the flood zone and hunted the bedrock only, I have no intention of going back to this spot. Maybe if you like cleaning cracks and getting a little color, there is some left, sure. but as far as detecting goes this spot is dead 100%.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Find some small split shot lead sinkers and try that will let you know about your unit, Plenty of good advice here too about gold machines .. i have a liteweight GB two that i use... Good luck

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I went out today to a place I have only been to 1 time prior. Stony gulch to be exact. I have only been up that gulch one time prior and found a half dozen pieces that equaled 1.8 grams. today I hunted hard. Not a single target was detected. Now given I stayed in the flood zone and hunted the bedrock only, I have no intention of going back to this spot. Maybe if you like cleaning cracks and getting a little color, there is some left, sure. but as far as detecting goes this spot is dead 100%.

Someone will probably go in behind you and find something one way or another.

I've found good gold digging in the right spots. Dig -> Rake -> Detect -> Repeat
Most people nugget hunting wander around detecting the easiest and most likely places.
Like exposed bedrock..

We are due for another flood..moving bed load around exposes new bedrock.

Too bad you got skunked. Know the feeling.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've spent many years detecting with a wide variety of VLF's and Pulse machines.

If you are a beginner, a short learning curve is better, and considering that you're new to nugget shooting, I'd buy a Minelab Gold Monster as it's easy to learn how to use, it's lightweight, you can adjust it down (or if need to adjust it down even more, Doc in Vegas has adjustable rods or you can cut a dowel or broomstick to the perfect length for your height), it comes standard with two coils, and it hits hard on small gold and will also let you know when you're over the bigger stuff as well.

As you're a rookie, I'd say the Gold Monster for a choice is a no brainer, and because of your petite size, you'll be able to swing it all day without having your arm, shoulder, or back kill you. Moreover, you've got OneGuy from Montana vouching for how well his Gold Monster works in your neck of the woods, and he's doing well.

All the best with your choice, whichever detector you choose to go with,

Lanny

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've spent many years detecting with a wide variety of VLF's and Pulse machines.

If you are a beginner, a short learning curve is better, and considering that you're new to nugget shooting, I'd buy a Minelab Gold Monster as it's easy to learn how to use, it's lightweight, you can adjust it down (or if need to adjust it down even more, Doc in Vegas has adjustable rods or you can cut a dowel or broomstick to the perfect length for your height), it comes standard with two coils, and it hits hard on small gold and will also let you know when you're over the bigger stuff as well.

As you're a rookie, I'd say the Gold Monster for a choice is a no brainer, and because of your petite size, you'll be able to swing it all day without having your arm, shoulder, or back kill you. Moreover, you've got OneGuy from Montana vouching for how well his Gold Monster works in your neck of the woods, and he's doing well.

All the best with your choice, whichever detector you choose to go with,

Lanny

Thanks for the advice. I think you are right, I am definitely going for Minelab brand but I think the SDC2300 may be a bit much for a noob like me. Wish I could try one out before I commit but being that I am in the middle of nowhere just not gonna happen. Which is why personal advice is so important to me.

I will research the gold monster a little more, feeling pretty sure that is the one I will get. The price point is just about right too. TY!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread