what is the gold nuggets number on metal detector display ?

LuisBesso

Jan 15, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bad news brother, but you won't be finding gold nuggets with a Discovery 3300. Gold nugget detectors start at around $600.00 and go into the thousands of dollars. Where are you? I'll try and help you out :occasion14:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
You can find shallow nuggets with nearly every detector. Where in number range will gold show? Anywhere and everywhere. That is the nature of both gold and your detector.

Detectors that are not purpose designed and built for at least some of the multitude of natural alloys, shapes, and sizes of natural gold nuggets are going to perform poorly for that purpose. Some of this poor performance can be mitigated by the operator. Digging every target, even those the detector may call trash, will be essential for an operator to learn everything the detector is saying. VDI and audio tones are tools to be used, and are not definitive when detecting gold. Years of experience, not weeks or months, will be your guide.

Your detector is fine for what it was designed to do: coins. Firmware designers can include some of the many characteristics of jewelry and relics within the characteristics of coins, but every platform has limitations.

I hope I have expanded on the comment left by Terry Solomon, and helped out a bit on your problem.

Time for more coffee.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
Bad news brother, but you won't be finding gold nuggets with a Discovery 3300. Gold nugget detectors start at around $600.00 and go into the thousands of dollars. Where are you? I'll try and help you out :occasion14:

i have found a few that a $20 radio shack detector would have found, so dont be completely discouraged. But there are better options. i found a 4 gram on the surface and a 1.25 oz estimated gold content in a specimen on the surface. a few other multi gram nugs.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have found a few that a $20 radio shack detector would have found, so dont be completely discouraged. But there are better options. i found a 4 gram on the surface and a 1.25 oz estimated gold content in a specimen on the surface. a few other multi gram nugs.

The average gold nugget is a lot smaller...…. If you want to find gold nuggets you need a better detector.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
The average gold nugget is a lot smaller...…. If you want to find gold nuggets you need a better detector.

the last patch i found all of the nuggets were over 1.5 gram. all were shallow targets and a few were 2 inches or less. the soil was mild. a radio shack detector could have found a couple of them. they were 3.5 grams and 2 grams. the spot stopped producing quickly after just a couple trips. Let the guy dig some trash, there is a chance something nice could pop out, look at the 2 oz banana slug dug while coin shooting. swing what you have if you dont have the funds to upgrade. youre sure to get nothing if you dont get out there

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true! Inspired to get out there more! I haven't been out detecting much in the last year, only a couple times recently and guess what? I haven't detected a piece of gold in over a year...not my detectors fault...mine.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello I have metal detector with digital numbers display(Discovery 3300).
what is the gold nuggets number on metal detector display ?

if you swipe it above your nuggets you will see a number in the display.
i would like to now what is this number.

Please help me , i dont what number to search...

Where will you be hunting for gold? Do you have any idea how mineralized the soil is where you'll be detecting? That will make a big difference if you'll be able to get your detector to ground balance or not, and ground balance is all important to allow your detector's processor to "see" the gold through the mineralization in the soil.

To answer your question in a general way, gold often displays as a mid-range target, not a high range target like silver, for example; so, look at your display numbers to find the middle. If you don't have access to a piece of gold, maybe someone you know someone who has a higher purity gold ring (14/18k), then run the gold under your coil and look at the display number, or join a metal detecting site that has your particular detector brand on it to see if they have the display numbers (VDI) for your detector brand for gold, or Google it to see what you come up with.

Unless you'll be looking for gold only in shallow, mild soil, you'll likely have problems with mineralization as Terry has stated, and ground minerals essentially "blind" your detector's ability to see the gold.

If nothing else, get out and coin detect with your machine by putting in 200 hours to really get to know every aspect of your machine, and you may find some gold jewelry that way to get you started on your quest for gold, or head straight to the gold fields and let us know how you do.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread