Which backpack for nugget shooting in desert
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Which backpack for nugget shooting in desert

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2017
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
    75 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Which backpack for nugget shooting in desert

Iím just getting into detecting for gold in Arizona and Iím curious as to what you more experienced nugget shooters use to carry your equipment while in the field?

Backpack, belt bag, etc?

I need something that will comfortably allow me to carry my crevicing tools, water, etc.

Thanks

Chris
    Southern Indiana/Louisville area, (ďDivorced, single, and lovin itĒ)

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3170 times
    Prospecting
    I like camel water bags or the like....need a drink just bite and suck on the mouthpiece. They can be rigged to carry in any backpack not just the same named packs. I usually carry about a gallon of water but some of that is in liter bottle(s) to replenish the bag if needed. Depending on how hot it is a gallon should last a couple of hours or more.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Mar 2016
    4676 times
    I like this one. It was cheap!
    https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/sog-tac.../6000195933720

I donít detect in Arizona, but heat is heat.
    I try and have two days worth of supplies in the pack, and a weeks worth in the truck.
    Plan on having to change a tire...fix a flat...air down/air up...shovel out.

I had to unexpectedly spend a night up on a 6500 foot mountain peak once.
    The couple things I didnít have was a bivy sack (could have cost me my life).
    Some contractor size trash bags, a manual compass/altimeter/map, and a good long lasting led headlamp with extra batteries.

One thing that came in very handy was a folding limb saw.
    It was actually more useful for building a shelter than I would have imagined.

There was 4Ē of frost in the morning and even with a large bon fire, I alternated between being burned on one side and frozen on the other. It was a very long night. All I had was a light weight parka.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 24, 2020 at 06:45 PM.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

Mar 2016
    4676 times
    Looking at packs...I see a lot of “tactical” bug out style bags that look pretty good.
    Maybe I need to upgrade
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

Feb 2006
    1644 times
    You should first determine the equipment needed for your field trip. Once you have determined that, then you search for the pack best suited for that task. I still have several packs. Each was used several times up to stroke month several years ago. Just a few are used now. Be the trip a few hours, or several days, the equipment needed determines the pack. If you choose the pack first, you will likely be out of luck in many ways when you get to your worksite in the field.

Time for more coffee.

Mar 2016
    4676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by galenrog View Post
    You should first determine the equipment needed for your field trip. Once you have determined that, then you search for the pack best suited for that task. I still have several packs. Each was used several times up to stroke month several years ago. Just a few are used now. Be the trip a few hours, or several days, the equipment needed determines the pack. If you choose the pack first, you will likely be out of luck in many ways when you get to your worksite in the field.

Time for more coffee.
    You never know when a couple hours will turn into a day or more.
    I use the same pack every trip out except back packing. I might throw in a little more clothing in the winter.

I would like to have several packs already set up different situations...just too much for me. Desert is a little more challenging because you may have to plan for heat and freezing temps.

I know one thing for sure..we now have MUCH better equipment than our grandparents...no excuses.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 24, 2020 at 08:44 PM.

Feb 2006
    1644 times
    It’s not really a matter of having several packs set up and ready to go. I never had more than five or six at my worst. It is more a matter of anticipating needs and potential problems. For example, a field medical kit always goes, as do fire starters, water filters and a folding saw. Distance from truck is a very big item. Driving right up to the work area means carrying less that if I am to hike two or three miles in the Mojave in summer.

Preparation is the key. A pack system that can carry what I believe I might need is just one step.

Limitations, regardless of type, are annoying. Find the best you can afford for what you need. A carry vest might be as important as your pack, giving you more versatility, and the ability to spread your load better.

Enjoy.

Time for more coffee.

Mar 2016
    4676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by galenrog View Post
    It’s not really a matter of having several packs set up and ready to go. I never had more than five or six at my worst. It is more a matter of anticipating needs and potential problems. For example, a field medical kit always goes, as do fire starters, water filters and a folding saw. Distance from truck is a very big item. Driving right up to the work area means carrying less that if I am to hike two or three miles in the Mojave in summer.

Preparation is the key. A pack system that can carry what I believe I might need is just one step.

Limitations, regardless of type, are annoying. Find the best you can afford for what you need. A carry vest might be as important as your pack, giving you more versatility, and the ability to spread your load better.

Enjoy.

Time for more coffee.
    Share some more? I value experience over bravado.
    Did you hike in the desert?
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 24, 2020 at 11:17 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    Northern Nevada
    MineLab GPZ 7000 Garrett ATX Pro
    689 times
    Prospecting
    Many of us here sometimes get 30-40+ miles from a paved road. My brother and I in Northern Nevada are well-versed in tire repair days away from help.

Everyone in the wilderness needs the 10 essentials. Most have already been discussed:

Navigation. Topographic map and assorted maps in waterproof container plus a magnetic compass, optional altimeter or GPS receiver.
    Sun protection. Sunglasses, sunscreen for lips and skin, hat, clothing for sun protection.
    Insulation. Jacket, hat, gloves, rain shell, and thermal underwear.
    Illumination. Headlamp, flashlight, batteries. LED bulb is preferred to extend battery life.
    First-aid supplies, plus insect repellent.
    Fire. Butane lighter, matches in waterproof container.
    Repair kit and tools. Knives, multi-tool, scissors, pliers, screwdriver, trowel/shovel, duct tape, cable ties.
    Nutrition. Add extra food for one additional day (for emergency). Dry food is preferred to save weight and usually needs water.
    Hydration. Add extra 2 liters of water for one additional day (for emergency).
    Emergency shelter. Tarp, bivouac sack, space blanket, plastic tube tent, jumbo trash bags, insulated sleeping pad.[4]

I will add a BlackJack professional tire plug kit and (2) air pumps. An extra spare tire. A quality jack. A PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) that when activated contacts a satellite and sends in the cavalry to your exact location.

Chuck

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    14474 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    I like camel water bags or the like....need a drink just bite and suck on the mouthpiece. They can be rigged to carry in any backpack not just the same named packs. I usually carry about a gallon of water but some of that is in liter bottle(s) to replenish the bag if needed. Depending on how hot it is a gallon should last a couple of hours or more.
    Or a light beer
    Iím the only one of me, baby thatís the fun of me.. / brendon urie

DONíT TRUST WHITEY / Navin Johnson

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK.
    ITS GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THATíS WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY. / Bebe rexha

IF YOUíRE LOST AND ALONE, OR YOUíRE SINKING LIKE A STONE, CARRY ON / Fun

AND IN THE END THE LOVE YOU TAKE IS EQUAL TO THE LOVE YOU MAKE. - Paul mccartney

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick
    24642 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Camelbak Cloud Walker 18

Mar 2016
    4676 times
    Anybody familiar with a custom fabricator? I know when it comes to vests, you can get them to your exact specifications and built hell for stout if that’s what your after...high end zippers.
    .accessories, etc.

us
    gravelSucker

Aug 2011
    NY, AZ & NV
    Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike.
    205 times
    Prospecting
    I like the last part in particular, the personal locator beacon. Besides using the MRDS as an approximate road map, most of my recon work will be done using a trike PPG(Power Para Glider) in remote areas. Easy to land and take off without the hassles of a fixed wing. Never thought of using a PLB. Thanks, this may turn out to be a lifesaver if I ever it. I'll be aero-prospecting in either Nevada or Arizona this year.
    Last edited by ncclaymaker; Feb 11, 2020 at 07:33 PM.

us
    Jul 2018
    Mountains of Western Colorado
    Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Crystal ball,
    2132 times
    I prefer the Eberlestock line of backpack.
    The mountains have rules.They are harsh rules,but they are there,and if you keep to them you are safe.A mountain is not like men. A mountain is sincere. The weapons to conquer it exists inside you,inside your soul.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12731 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    My wife got me a pack from Big 5. made by "Samuri Tactical" So, far its better than the last two packs I've destroyed.

It has a sleeve for water bladder. Sturdy straps good pockets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links