Preferred prospecting pick handle length?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Preferred prospecting pick handle length?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2017
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
    75 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Preferred prospecting pick handle length?

I need to buy a new pick for nugget shooting in Arizona. I have the 18 inch handle on my Apex Badger pick, but I just purchased a GPZ 7000 for Arizona and due to the depth that machine can detect nuggets I need a longer pick handle so I’m not on my knees as much. I’m on the fence between a 36 inch and a 30 inch Apex Talon. I’m 6 ft tall.

What do you use?

Also, I’d love to hear where you more experienced nugget shooters prefer to keep your pick while detecting. Belt? Backpack? Hand?
    Last edited by Callred1975; Jan 27, 2020 at 10:15 AM.
    Southern Indiana/Louisville area, (ďDivorced, single, and lovin itĒ)

us
    Aug 2015
    Montana
    Goldmonster, SDC 2300, etrac
    1045 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Callred1975 View Post
    I need to buy a new pick for nugget shooting in Arizona. I have the 18 inch handle on my Apex Badger pick, but I just purchased a GPZ 7000 for Arizona and due to the depth that machine can detect nuggets I need a longer pick handle so Iím not on my knees as much. Iím on the fence between a 36 inch and a 30 inch Apex Talon. Iím 6 ft tall.

What do you use?

Also, Iíd love to hear where you more experienced nugget shooters prefer to keep your pick while detecting. Belt? Backpack? Hand?
    with that 7000 you'll want a long handle to dig deeper, wider holes.....you can always cut down the 36" if you don't like it...jmo
    Callred1975 and Lanny in AB like this.

Mar 2016
    5079 times
    I bought my first electronic prospecting specific pick...triangular shaped head, presumably made out of AR500 plate steel, super magnet on the tip.

It has an 18” long fiberglass handle and is wrapped in some sort of rubber where you grip it. It’s very similar to the Keene rebranded picks, but has no brand name on it. I’m assuming because of that no warranty. It was not cheap.

I like the head style and digging ability...almost wanted a very well built pick with a wooden handle..preferably a little longer. I’m not a huge fan of rubber grips..they always fail.

Digging while bent over...not something my back likes. I’m always switching to kneeling for every target.

I’d suggest watching some Australian detecting videos and see what picks they are using. They have been digging craters for many years.

You’ll want something with a wide spade on one end so as to make back filling your holes easier.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 27, 2020 at 11:17 PM.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

Mar 2016
    5079 times
    Iím used to using an Eastwing rock hammer...this new pick digs well but feels terribly unbalanced.

I think itís this 16Ē but the magnet is flush mounted. I wouldnít recommend it. I think there are probably better balanced tools out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1D931436-5498-4EE1-8A62-E7113D06F08B.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	383.8 KB 
ID:	1795323
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 27, 2020 at 11:40 PM.
    Callred1975 likes this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

us
    Mar 2018
    Northern CA
    White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
    215 times
    Prospecting
    I got a Bunk's pick last year with a 34" handle and love it. Due to it's length I carry it, to long for the belt loop and to tell the truth the head design makes me want to keep control of it in case I slip and fall.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3255 times
    Prospecting
    I got this one mainly for digging feed for my dry washer. The chisel end does a great job of loosening hard pack. https://www.estwing.com/collections/...geo-paleo-pick.
    Last edited by arizau; Jan 28, 2020 at 04:30 PM.
    Lanny in AB, Goodyguy and SanMan like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Prospector

Jun 2014
    San Diego, Ca.
    20 times
    Quit wasting your time with questions and get a Bunks Hermit Pick with a 34" inch handle (PI machine) or a Bunks Burro pick with a 16"-18" inch handle (vlf machine). You will not regret it.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    25984 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Bunk's Hermit Pick!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HermitPicks.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	1796157  

Mar 2016
    5079 times
    I can report that the pick pictured in my post above has already failed.
    The rubber handle has come off. They didn't even use any glue!

So I'll glue it with some contact cement and see how long it holds up.

us
    Rock stacker

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1096 times
    Prospecting
    I have that 16" keene pick I really like it, the rubber handle has been holding up I have had it 4-5 years maybe. My mining buddy kept stealing it.

Mar 2016
    5079 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N-Lionberger View Post
    I have that 16" keene pick I really like it, the rubber handle has been holding up I have had it 4-5 years maybe. My mining buddy kept stealing it.
    This one didn't have the Keene brand name on it.
    It was constructed slightly different in the way the magnet mounts.
    But I think it's the same manufacturer. It got rained on in my truck..froze and thawed a few times. Maybe the glue they used was water soluble.

us
    Rock stacker

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1096 times
    Prospecting
    Mine doesn't have a label either bought it from a Whites distributor, I've used the hell out of it. I also have a 36" Apex pick, I don't know the model it was a birthday gift from mom. It digs well, better than a normal pick, mostly use it for general digging, the small one is my go to detector pick.

if it flies, it dies

Jan 2015
    gpx 4500 gpz
    1415 times
    ducks, bucks and gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gibson View Post
    Quit wasting your time with questions and get a Bunks Hermit Pick with a 34" inch handle (PI machine) or a Bunks Burro pick with a 16"-18" inch handle (vlf machine). You will not regret it.
    the handle is a wooden dowel, the type used for a cloths hanger. It is a softwood , most likely pine. two wood screws fasten the head to the handle. the spade side is welded to the pick. It is light weight. I used it for 2 seasons before the spade broke off at the welds. I never was hard on it, i knew that was a leak link. I wish someone would make a 2 lb with a long handle.
    N-Lionberger likes this.
    got the fever? dont scratch the itch.

us
    Aug 2015
    Montana
    Goldmonster, SDC 2300, etrac
    1045 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by beekbuster View Post
    the handle is a wooden dowel, the type used for a cloths hanger. It is a softwood , most likely pine. two wood screws fasten the head to the handle. the spade side is welded to the pick. It is light weight. I used it for 2 seasons before the spade broke off at the welds. I never was hard on it, i knew that was a leak link. I wish someone would make a 2 lb with a long handle.
    Have you tried an Apex? I believe mine is the 18"(?) and at first I didn't care for it because it's a little heavy....now that I'm used to the weight I find the weight is helpful and it's a real stout, strong pick....jmo as I haven't used any others other than an Estwing rock hammer......
    N-Lionberger and rjtyree like this.

if it flies, it dies

Jan 2015
    gpx 4500 gpz
    1415 times
    ducks, bucks and gold
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguy View Post
    Have you tried an Apex? I believe mine is the 18"(?) and at first I didn't care for it because it's a little heavy....now that I'm used to the weight I find the weight is helpful and it's a real stout, strong pick....jmo as I haven't used any others other than an Estwing rock hammer......
    i have one of similar quality. It is too heavy though. I dont like it. I like the 2lb version, but wish they offered it in a handle longer than 18".
    got the fever? dont scratch the itch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links